The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using the electronic shutter vs sync flash mode with the 907X 50C on a technical camera

Caumont

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired the 907X 50C which I found excellent.

I used the back on a Arca Swiss Factum using the sync flash mode, as the Hasseblad reseller recommended me to do so.

For landscape photography, I wonder if there is a real issue with "rolling shutter effect" on this digital back.

On my IQ4-150mp, I don't bother with cable and only use the ES mode. It works fine, even when shooting trees with a bit of wind...

Did any of you did some test between the two modes?

Thank you very much for your feedback,
Best,
Vincent

Godfrey

Real issue with "rolling shutter effect"? Of course it's a real issue ... It's based on the readout time required for an exposure and how much motion in the image there is, and is tolerable to have shifted in the capture.

The readout time is 300ms. I would suggest experimentation and testing to see how much it affects your work.
I've done a good bit of photography with the 907x and adapted lenses, all of them used with the electronic shutter. It is often very successful, but there are some situations where it is simply not a useful setup.... for example:

000-eshutter_motion_distortion.jpg

G

jng

If you use electronic shutter on your IQ4 with good results, you should have no issues with the Hasselblad. The same limitations apply to both platforms (I use both as well).

John