The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

UV filter protection

MartinN

I must have especially greasy fingers, because I get smudge on my front surface VERY easily. And it rains quite often, and since having developed ruined films, because I have had rain fog on my lenses, I don’t want to experience that again.

ThdeDude

As to front filter use for protection I wonder whether there is a correlation as to purpose of lens ownership?

Persons who use their camera gear as tools don't care since a lens scratch or a coating imperfection is generally not noticeable in the image while even a tiny scratch or coating imperfection will ruin a lens for a camera gear collector.

MartinN

As to front filter use for protection I wonder whether there is a correlation as to purpose of lens ownership?

Persons who use their camera gear as tools don't care since a lens scratch or a coating imperfection is generally not noticeable in the image while even a tiny scratch or coating imperfection will ruin a lens for a camera gear collector.
Resell value ?

ThdeDude

Resell value ?
Not the same story? Users really don't care while for collectors the lens might be worthless.

P.S. But even for a mint, never used lens, the resell value is generally just a fraction (less than 50%?) of the purchase price, especially if there is a new model or a new lens mount. Different story perhaps for Leica M lenses or for a hard to find yet desired lens, like for example the Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Digitar Aspherical.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

Any tool I own I try to take care of it, even a simple hammer.
I think we all do here but there is no universal consensus whether a filter actually, in effect, protect a lens as to its function. (Ignoring special situations.)

To use your example, the only way to keep a hammer pristine is not to use it. (Not a good analogy.)

Last edited:

pieve

This very recent article on fstoppers gives some (other) insights on the use of UV filters (also check the comments section):

Manzur Fahim

Folks,

Do you guys still use UV filter on your lenses? Ever since migrated to technical camera system, I haven’t got any on my lens yet.
I guess I’ve used to with having a hood as my protection while I was using Hasselblad X.
Since Rodenstock doesn’t come with any hood so I’ve been thinking to put one on.
I use them on all my lenses. Not specifically to help with UV rays, as the digital sensors do that. I mainly use them for protection. I want to avoid touching the front element, and good UV or protection filters can help with that. B+W filters are very easy to clean, dust don't get stuck much, and it protects the front element, along with the lens hood.

Good for protection, and getting quality filters means they won't negatively affect the images.

steveash

I haven’t used them for years. I have insurance to cover damage (although Ive never had to claim) and I don’t really want to add an extra layer of unnecessary glass to add reflections, flare etc. I also think UV is underrated as a light source. Black and white portraits with an element of UV light can be beautiful.

ThdeDude

Hmm, maybe I should have a UV filter in my camera kit just for certain situation where there is a distinct probability of foreign objects impacting on the front lens element. For example, rain, ocean spray, sand blown along the beach, close-up of fireworks, Nerf gun fire directed towards the photographer.

But on the other hand, for such situation I tend to use my iPhone where the lenses have from the factory a sapphire glass cover.

Last edited:

Manzur Fahim

Hoya in my experience isn't as easy to clean as the B+W filters. I have been so far very happy with B+W filters. Very expensive though :(

I tried Hoya HD filters, not sure if they released any newer models.

BFD

Always. Just easy dumb protection from small scratches, finger smudges, dust, etc. I have never seen a clear or UV filter degrade my images so why not just keep one on all the time. The only times I ever take it off is if shooting into direct sun and I am getting too much flare or slow shutter speeds at night can create noticable reflections in between the filter and lens glass. Some of my lenses have only had the front element cleaned once or twice.

buildbot

Does anyone make sapphire protection filters I wonder 🤔
Answering my own question, yes, they do!

MidOpt also does, at a 10x expensive factor:

ThdeDude

Now we are taking! Bulletproof? Not inexpensive protection however.

------------------------------
The LP190 Sapphire Protective Window is stronger than standard glass windows. It has a highly-durable surface to withstand harsh environments and is resistant to high impact, chemicals and alkalis. The LP190 Sapphire transmits wavelengths ranging from UV, VIS and short-wave infrared (SWIR).

ThdeDude

This is actually turning into an interesting thread!

-------------------------------------
Planning an extreme shoot? Worried about protecting your lens? Need a lens that can shed dirt, grease and even take a hit from a firecracker?

STC has created the Titan UV filter, a protective UV lens filter made from Corning Gorilla glass. Titan is designed to withstand 650mps (golf ball 10ft. height free fall) impact. Just for kicks, we even set off a bottle rocket on it (watch the video below).

buildbot

This is actually turning into an interesting thread!

-------------------------------------
Planning an extreme shoot? Worried about protecting your lens? Need a lens that can shed dirt, grease and even take a hit from a firecracker?

STC has created the Titan UV filter, a protective UV lens filter made from Corning Gorilla glass. Titan is designed to withstand 650mps (golf ball 10ft. height free fall) impact. Just for kicks, we even set off a bottle rocket on it (watch the video below).

The STC sapphire window they claim is up to 800MPs! (Whatever that means haha)