The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer 35/2

JoelM

I bet it is a nice lens as is their other 35mm f2. APO corrected lenses on such short focal lengths are overkill.
Joel

JoelM

Ditto. The improvement might be pixel level improvements or not. The lenses are of different formulas, so whether the APO lens element makes a big difference or not might be debatable. We won't see the same lens with and without the special element. Many variables change at once with a new lens design.
I'm certain they are awesome lenses.
Joel

doug

Ditto. The improvement might be pixel level improvements or not. The lenses are of different formulas, so whether the APO lens element makes a big difference or not might be debatable. We won't see the same lens with and without the special element. Many variables change at once with a new lens design.
I'm certain they are awesome lenses.
Joel
APO isn't a lens element. It's the overall correction of aberrations of the entire lens.

I get a bit jaded by announcements of new lenses but my experience with the 65mm APO-Lanthar makes me sit up and take notice at this one.

JoelM

APO lenses usually contain a very low refractive element or group. Sometimes ED glass or a Fluorite element. It is to make the different wavelengths diverge less after going from one medium to another.
Joel

scrane

I have the 180mm APO that I like a lot. The images I've seen from the 110mm APO have been very impressive. Not so much from the 50mm APO. Time will tell on the 35mm.
I, too, would like to see a new compact 90mm APO.

algrove

Joel
Any APO from respected companies is not overkill. I have the APO 50 and if the APO 35 is in the same league I will get one. And yes I also vote for a APO 90.

SrMphoto

Joel
Any APO from respected companies is not overkill. I have the APO 50 and if the APO 35 is in the same league I will get one. And yes I also vote for a APO 90.
I am very happy with my CV APO 35 Lanthar. Fred Miranda has started a review. Resolution-wise it is the best 35mm that he has tested to date. Note that there is no profile in LrC yet, but I do not think it needs it.

Knorp

Hope to get one tomorrow. C1 is only supporting the (superb) Macro APO-Lanthar 65/2.

iiiNelson

It will be a breakthrough lens if it's as good as either the 50mm f2 or 65mm. I will be getting one. Now I wish they would produce an APO-Lanther 90mm.

Victor B.
Or even better would be a 100mm lens. Doesn’t seem to be as popular of a focal length these days but it’s probably my favorite for portraits.

Knorp

Now let's see, we've got already the 35, 50, 65 and 110. And 28, 90 and 100 on the wish-list. What about an APO-Lanthar zoom lens ... :cool:

Last edited: