The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Web site says "NOT SECURE" extra charge to add SSL

gurtch

Hi all: Not sure where to post this. I have had the same web site provider for a long time. Today I added some new images to it. When I went to my site the pages said "NOT SECURE". I do not have the ability to sell prints via my site, so I do not accept credit cards. I did an "instant chat" with my provider and was told I do not have SSL, and it would cost me $39.99 per year to get it. I bit, but I don't even know what SSL is. Did I get ripped off? Should I cancel the "SSL" after one year? This charge is in addition to what I pay for my site to be hosted. Sorry for what may be a dumb question. I am 85, and photography is a hobby, but I do sell my work. People visit my site (which I built myself using a "How To" book I bought), then pick out what they want and email me through my web site or call me. I do not take credit card information over my site email. I was afraid potential Clients would be scared away from my site because of the warning.
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven NJ
web site if you are curious what I do:
www.modernpictorials.com