The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What’s the current state of Phase One?

MartinN

Even if have large sensor, as far as I know there are no lenses, or even a lens line, in production anymore. Use old film lenses?

I kept my 4x5" gear now for decades, hoping that eventually there will be a 4x5" digital sensor. I would be happy with measly 24MB but I am giving up on that.
In the LF forum we discussed a bit scanning backs. Of course they have disadvantages, but with modern technology, and will there could be somebody making a modern scanning back, 4x5 or bigger, high resolution.

MartinN

The absolutely GREAT thing with photography is that you can’t be sure what is provided after, say 10 years into the future.

ThdeDude

Then there is LargeSense, http://largesense.com

Apparently they actually now have 4x5" DB (monochrome) available for sale. Their asking of $26K is not too bad if compared to P1 but resolution isn't overwhelming (6.7MP).

Last edited:

vieri

I have actually emailed Rodenstock this very question, and even asked if there were any world in which the hard stop on the image circle could be removed. I’d gladly have the data, albeit deteriorated quality at the far edges of the frame, over those hard black stops. They said nope, and further that they’d not be making anything like an 18mm to satisfy the need further.
That's sad to hear, but not unexpected, unfortunately. Thank you for letting us know!

A person in-the-know told me few years ago that the 70mm Digaron-W (which is identical to the Apo-Sironar Digital 70mm except name) may get the "SW" treatment. But otherwise I doubt we will see any new Digaron lenses.

One option for a shorter focal length than the 23mm Digaron would be the ACTAR-19, https://tinyurl.com/pureb8k5, which is based on the PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4. (No affiliation, no person experience.) Cambo states that the "image circle is over 71mm".
You could also adapt a Canon 17mm TS, I believe.

Best regards,

Vieri

Yes. I did a review of the WRE-CA adapter (there's one for the Actus as well) with the 17TS-E a year ago April for MediumFormat magazine. The tl;dr version: if you can work it with the electronic shutter (i.e. you're not using flash or are using flash at >0.6s exposures only), and you don't need to shift more than a couple of mm's either way, it's a solution that works pretty well particularly in a pinch. The 24TS-E ends up on my WRS pretty frequently, but the 17 is great for one point perspectives in really small spaces (since I shoot a lot of residential, it comes out of the bag when I'm doing laneway houses and powder rooms).

alajuela

Love my backs (4150 and 4150 Achro) waiting for software upgrade so can manually enter focal length (just like the f-stop) and rise / fall, when using the Tech. Service in my experience has been great. The backs do get hot , but I'm in South Florida, where everything gets hot sitting in the sun gets hot.

Paul Spinnler

Love my backs (4150 and 4150 Achro) waiting for software upgrade so can manually enter focal length (just like the f-stop) and rise / fall, when using the Tech. Service in my experience has been great. The backs do get hot , but I'm in South Florida, where everything gets hot sitting in the sun gets hot.
Since you have both backs - is it that of a difference? Have you tried to use the colour output of your back and convert it into BW?

alajuela

Since you have both backs - is it that of a difference? Have you tried to use the colour output of your back and convert it into BW?
Hello
Yes I have - Converted the color to B&W for many years. The Achro gives much better tone graduations and shadows are extremely nice. Also has the advantage of using Infrared.

Thanks

Phil