The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What bags do you use for your Tech cameras?

jodad

I just got my SWA and its really an awesome piece but its dimensions make it awkward to fit in a " normal" profile bag that is wide or tall or both but not particularly deep.
The SWA with a 58 is basically a rectangular cuboid...
Are there any bags out there that dont scream im carrying expensive camera things, steal them from me and fit such a camera? I dont really want to walk around wearing a pelican case with a shoulder strap when im not using the camera :p

dchew

Many are using f-stop or something similar that use internal “ICU” divider cases. There was a pretty good thread not too long ago. I will see if I can find it. I am now using a non-camera backpack, the Mammut Trion Pro, with f-stop Small Pro ICU inside.

Do you want to store it with the viewfinder attached? That will limit your packing arrangement.

Dave

Last edited:

jodad

Thanks for the link Dave, ill have a look now.

Thank you Graham for the two suggestions.

Do you want to store it with a viewfinder attached? That will limit your packing arrangement.
Dave
The VF and the Length of the lens cause the problem. I would not be carrying the camera with multiple lenses and backs. Just one Lens and maybe a spare back so i dont need a multi lens big backpack. I would also prefer to not have to take the VF off when transporting. I guess my only realistic option is one of those boxy (non Hadley shaped) bags from Billingham (the 200/300 series - that sort of thing).

dchew

If a shoulder bag would work, I have an old Lowepro Street and Field 500 AW you can have for the cost of shipping. Definitely deep enough. It’s like 8-9” deep.

Dave

beano_z

I think I can relate to your problem. When the lens is mounted the dimensions are very similar on every side with awkward protrusions and fragile lens mounts to consider as well.

And I'm guessing you want the camera assembled at all times so you can just grab it out of the bag and start shooting (assuming you shoot the SWA handheld)? so I would suggest also looking into one of those Pro-DSLR holsters, some of the larger ones have lots of room inside both horizontally and vertically (i.e. corresponding to the width and height of the camera body). They have the additional benefit of (usually) looking pretty cheap so that'll fit your criteria as well. I remember SONY making them in all sorts of sizes and they usually give them away here with new camera purchases.

I did struggle a lot with my tech cams as well as there are seldom bags with an internal depth larger than 150mm, which is just too short for putting in a ALPA max on its side. But you'll also have to be aware that any bag which can fit that cuboid is also going to be quite unwieldy in real use, as I've found out the hard way, many times.

If you need a large shoulder back, then I also recommend looking into the ThinkTank Video Workhorse 19. When fully loaded it is again an unwieldy bag but if you're working from your car (or very near it) or you have a suitcase to roll it around on, then this one is killer. It has skid-rails on the bottom and has an internal aluminium frame to maintain shape and also protect the gear inside. As someone who's often going in and out of buildings trying to get to rooftops, its best feature is that it won't attract any unnecessary attention.

But if a backpack is what you're looking for and you have multiple setups (less, backs, accessories, etc.), then I must agree with most here, the ICU system with F-Stop (or similar brands, you know) work very well, it's what I always come back to after trying so many different bags (Crumpler, Manfrotto, Vanguard, LowePro).

jodad

NYA-EVO clearly the best camera gear back-pack I have ever owned from a design, comfort and build quality stand point.

https://www.nya-evo.com/collections/fjord36
It is a cool looking bag but a bit overkill for walking about with one camera and maybe a light tripod strapped to the top or bottom of the

Mind shift 26L

Alpa STC IQ plus 5 lenses in a nice compact backpack
this als looks quite cool but not deep enough to jave the camera completely unassembled.

I think I can relate to your problem. When the lens is mounted the dimensions are very similar on every side with awkward protrusions and fragile lens mounts to consider as well.

And I'm guessing you want the camera assembled at all times so you can just grab it out of the bag and start shooting (assuming you shoot the SWA handheld)? so I would suggest also looking into one of those Pro-DSLR holsters, some of the larger ones have lots of room inside both horizontally and vertically (i.e. corresponding to the width and height of the camera body). They have the additional benefit of (usually) looking pretty cheap so that'll fit your criteria as well. I remember SONY making them in all sorts of sizes and they usually give them away here with new camera purchases.

If you need a large shoulder back, then I also recommend looking into the ThinkTank Video Workhorse 19. When fully loaded it is again an unwieldy bag but if you're working from your car (or very near it) or you have a suitcase to roll it around on, then this one is killer. It has skid-rails on the bottom and has an internal aluminium frame to maintain shape and also protect the gear inside. As someone who's often going in and out of buildings trying to get to rooftops, its best feature is that it won't attract any unnecessary attention.
Exactly the problem. The holster at forst seems a perfect solution if i can find one that i can pack in a way to protect the Vf, maybe i could just fill it with socks ><

algrove

My STC fits upright in the 26L with WA lens attached

The 36L is deeper

If you tell us what dimensions you want it might help

jodad

My STC fits upright in the 26L with WA lens attached

The 36L is deeper

If you tell us what dimensions you want it might help
Well, with my lens and the Vf, it comes to 18cm wide (handle to handle) 18-19cm hight to the top of the VF and 16cm deep (front of lens to back of film back).

etrump

Having just injured my shoulder on backpacking trip I had to switch from my f-stop to the Seek Outside panel loader which has much better shoulder stress relief.

While it’s not as convenient as a camera pack I can modularize my kit into different peak design cubes to weight manage based on which type of conditions I expect. Plenty of room to carry all 45 lbs of gear but easy to downsize for longer hikes. The shoulder burden can be entirely removed which has made a world of difference. The says of lugging two backs, body, 5 pieces of glass and filters for every conceivable shot are over until the shoulder is healthy.

algrove

Well, with my lens and the Vf, it comes to 18cm wide (handle to handle) 18-19cm hight to the top of the VF and 16cm deep (front of lens to back of film back).
Well the specs on the 36L are 32cm W 53cm L and 18cm H
Of course with VF off the SWA you have many more choices

tylerallenmohr

This one on is on the Linhof website. It's wildly expensive, but then again, so is tech cam gear.

Linhof_022497_koenig-i.jpg

It can be ordered with 3 different compartment layouts. It's hard to find a bag out there that isn't Designed for a 35mm DLSR. and round-barrel shaped lenses.

Personally I use the Shimoda Explore 60

Shimoda_Explore 60.jpg

jodad

This one on is on the Linhof website. It's wildly expensive, but then again, so is tech cam gear.

View attachment 143285

It can be ordered with 3 different compartment layouts. It's hard to find a bag out there that isn't Designed for a 35mm DLSR. and round-barrel shaped lenses.

Personally I use the Shimoda Explore 60

View attachment 143286
König Photobags was a fantastic find!
I checked out their website and they have some interesting stuff 100% waterproof. Everything is based on Ortlieb products.

In the end after an exhaustive search on internet i have found Billingham 307L and Lowepro 450 (the old version because it is deeper than the new version).
The Billingham is small enough for a one camera carry and maybe a book. The Lowe is a backpack but not so obviously a camera backpack so that is good.
With the Lowe i can store the camera the correct way as in handgrips facing my back and "facing out of the bag" and the lens perpendicular to my back protected by the rest of the bag. this, i believe is how you are supposed to store assembled cameras in these bags anyway. The pity is with the Billingham, the camera will have to be stored with the film back against me and the lens "out to the world". i will have to be careful.

dchew

All these things are personal preference and debatable, but I’ve always oriented an assembled camera vertically in the backpack when walking; lens pointing at the sky. I think the greatest risk is the 100,000+ small shocks the equipment sees from each step. Especially when going down steep trails.

If you prefer to orient it as you describe, think of ways to support the lens both at the filter threads and under the Copal shutter. Simple way is to wrap a lens cloth or small chamois around the shutter. Same goes for the film back. There is probably 1-3 cm of space between the bottom of the film back and the bottom of the camera, including whatever Arca-Swiss plate you add to the camera. Fill that space with something.

Dave