The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What the Phase...?

Paul Spinnler

There is an old saying as true today as it ever was: those who really do know Leica's plans aren't talking, and those who don't really know are engaged in idle speculation (or, in this case, fevered speculation about an S4 that will have the best optics in the history of photography, the best AF, the best video, the best design, etc, yet will be priced in a way that Leica has never priced its products). This is obviously important to you, so have at it. In the meantime, when and if it ever shows up in 2025, I will evaluate it just like any other camera system on the market at that time. I have owned 5 different camera systems from 4 manufacturers over the past 15 years. I have zero "loyalty" to any of them. I buy whatever works best for me.
BTW, do you know how I know Leica is a boutique camera manufacturer? First, they sell Leicas in Leica boutiques. Second, many/most of the people who buy them believe that the reason why other photographers don't buy them is because they can't afford them. Third, many/most of the buyers believe that there is something special about them because they are manufactured in Germany and not China, even though this is 2023 and not 1963.
Well, I have direct sources and know more than I say and say what I think can be safely said. The only place where I said I don't know more details is from what is happening inside Hassy in Gothenburg – I only hear it from third parties who basically say it is a s*** show since Shenzen took over. Not sure the mood is better anytime soon after H got killed which will make a few people redundant. Guess the happiness of the long-standing former NYC crew is also not at a boiling point after they closed shop.

I always argue based on reasoning and not just by being pre-conceived for one reason or another. I explain why I say things.

Leica produces benchmark optics because they can work in an integrated manner and because achieving a low price point is not the biggest design constraint. That is special, I am sorry. Every SL APO optic blows away other 35mm offerings in terms of optical quality except maybe some Otus lenses. The M lenses punch above their size class and are just gems. The quality and price point are an integral part of their brand proposition / promise and people buy into that. I pay 5k for a 35 1.4 because I know it has been hand checked multiple times, quality is a notch above other manufacturer's lenses and because the IQ is just amazing.

They have a standing optics team and don't outsource production to Japanese contract manufacturers. They can iterate far more often without incurring extra project costs – something necessary when you want to tightly integrate production and design to create the highest quality. It also allows them to produce exotic products just for the sake of it, ie a 75 1.25, for example. Sells rarely, ask any Leica store owner. But WHAT AN OPTIC!

P1 used contract manufacturing to design lenses, as well as Hassy. That's a big difference. The reason we don't have more tiltable XT lenses is that P1 doesn't want to pay Cambo their fee to adjust the other lenses to the new Helicoid they introduced with the 40HR. At Leica this would be solvable within the resources of the existing employees once capacity is free.

To say they are a boutique manufacturer – i.e. you label them in a negative way trying to insinuate something about luxurious pricing not befitting "real" phorography – because they sell in "boutiques", as you say, is a stunningly un-smart statement and is again judgemental and not rational. Firstly they don't sell in (fashion) boutiques, but mostly in what you'd call real stores which most of the time also have a gallery section attached. Leica is also rather mass-market at this stage, you can buy a Q in many places, for example. So it is not really that they sell fashion, are by appointment only and sell all day long gold-crusted cameras with embroidery and customizable engraving. They just sell high-quality products at a higher price point as the cost of manufacturing is also elevated. The haptics of Leica products are outstanding. The brand is also part of pop culture with many designers, artists, actors, and singers having a Leica. M6 is at the forefront of the analog resurgence. If anything, Leica is iconic.

Secondly, you always moan about their pricing in a really childish way, mentioning they are absurd, don't know what they do or whatever. Usually, only people that are unhappy with the pricing do this. Most often because they have some weird grudge or can't afford it because let's be honest if the price is not an issue their lenses are top-notch in all regards. If you don't care about the price, an APO35 M is a fantastic lens no matter how you spin it. And to say they are somehow irrational just defies reality given that Leica is arguably the most successful camera manufacturer after the big 35mm players from Japan and has been controlled and still is, in parts, by one of the most elite PE firms gracing Wallstreet, namely Blackstone. But of course, I am sorry I forgot, you know better!

It wouldn't come to my mind to moan about a Leica lens price because I know I get fantastic build quality, unmatched service, and fantastic IQ. I bought my first Noctilux around 2009 for 6k EUR. I sold it finally before the pandemic used for 9k. In the meantime, I replaced the hood for a few hundred because I wanted it to look like new. Leica effectively paid me to use the lens over 10 years, 300 EUR per year. So no loss and inflation fully covered. In that regard especially the M stuff is a good value preserve and a bit unique in the photo world. S lost value due to mismanagement of the platform, but they will come back.

Looking forward to your review of the S4 in 2025. Maybe you will jump ship from Hassy then, who knows! :)

Last edited:

Pieter 12

I have some Leica gear and it is all excellent, communications about support from the factory has been quite good, too. My only fear is that at some point they will no longer be able to support the equipment I have, like my M5. Leica is not flawless. The M9 (and maybe the Monochrome, too) sensor corrosion issue, as well as sensor corrosion in the early S CCD cameras, failing S AF lens motors all come to mind. I have heard of issues with some of the new M6s scratching film, too.

Geoff

Leica doesn't always get it right - sometimes it looks like they veer between missing the target and then later getting it just right. M8 to M9 to M10.... for example. Abandoning the CL, getting the Q right.... That just seems to be "life with Leica". The good news is that they seem to learn from their mistakes. One could do worse.

Paul Spinnler

I have some Leica gear and it is all excellent, communications about support from the factory has been quite good, too. My only fear is that at some point they will no longer be able to support the equipment I have, like my M5. Leica is not flawless. The M9 (and maybe the Monochrome, too) sensor corrosion issue, as well as sensor corrosion in the early S CCD cameras, failing S AF lens motors all come to mind. I have heard of issues with some of the new M6s scratching film, too.
To be fair they have a highly ethical way of dealing with these issues. For the sensor corrosion issues, which were out of their control and related to an issue on the supplier side which nobody foresaw at the time of the development of the sensors, they offered a five year free upgrade program, later a trade up program and then a replacement program at a fair cost. I remember upgrading my M9 before the end of the program and then also being able to trade it in for the first SL at a great price. Walked into the store, handed over my M9, got it back two weeks later with a new sensor, and deep cleaned body at the factory.

The S AF drive issue was a design flaw and they rectified it for free once finding a solution also within five years of purchase of the lenses. If I am not mistaken AF was new to them at this stage. Also fair to make mistakes. Canon introduced AF in 1985!

I find this fair and since then they haven't had any big hiccups anymore. They learn and strive to create great products, in a similar way like Apple. It is part of their DNA.

Last edited:

jng

It still amazes me that whatever discussion is started on a thread, it always ends up with Leica taking over.
Indeed. In fact I had to scroll back to find the original topic and was/wasn't surprised that it was about neither Leica nor Hasselblad. Rinse and repeat. May I respectfully suggest that we move on?

John

Paul Spinnler

Well, the conclusion is that Phase has optimized the consumer photography business to the point that there's minimal investment, minimal internal headcount and capital available for its traditional business.

Since they are private equity held and investors eye an exit in the future at an ideally large profit of 20-25% IRR on the invested equity (ie the invested equity grows by that amount annually over 5 years) they will do everything they can to grow B2B, namely inspection related solutions where they can really save clients a lot of money and therefore also ask a high price.

Where does this leave photography? Well, there has been an XT2 in the works which has been delayed, so maybe that's the news for this year. XF will also probably see no further investment although you could surely improve things (e.g. 55 MKII). I hear from my favorite dealer that the 80 2.8 MK II doesn't sell a lot ... so that was the trial balloon for further investments.

IQ4 - will rise in price. IQ5 could be a refresh with a new SoC, but there's no new Sony sensor to be seen with the size of 54x40. "Global shutter!" will some say – forget it. The current sensor is smaller, doesn't have the same DR and is not fit for purpose according to what I was told by P1 reps. Also, they wouldn't shoot down their X-shutter business.

XT - it is a recession. Who has the money for 12k lenses except for well-off hobbyists and the 0.1% o the 0.1%? Sales are lower than pre-pandemic. They still selll, but it is not an easy sell.

Best case is: XT2 announcement this year, maybe tilt option for other lenses. Statement from P1 reassuring commitment to photography.

The market has drastically changed since 2019.

Fingers crossed for some new products. Wouldn't expect anything in the near future.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

My main concerns with Phase One for photographers are potential bugs in the current system (based on posts in GetDPI). How do current owners of the latest Phase One cameras see their system? Is it stable, or are they still waiting on bug fixes and features from Phase One?

Paul Spinnler

What bugs?

Most problems people raise relate to a) sync problems (e.g. copal/ CamIf error), b) connection issues with third party software (cascable, C1 mobile). Seems more like user errors

Last edited:

tcdeveau

My main concerns with Phase One for photographers are potential bugs in the current system (based on posts in GetDPI). How do current owners of the latest Phase One cameras see their system? Is it stable, or are they still waiting on bug fixes and features from Phase One?
I think we're all waiting on the ability to manually enter metadata, such as movements with a tech cam, and for live view on the app (but not holding our breaths).

Other than that - no complaints from me. I'm using an IQ4 150 Achro and an Alpa STC with 40/70 HR.

My needs are also simpler - all I really need to do on the back is set shutter speed and ISO and self-exposure timer (I don't use a remote), and use the frame averaging tool. I don't tether, don't use an XF, don't use off-camera flash, etc.

Paul Spinnler

It appears that even simple firmware updates are rare these days. Ie have been cut. I think Private Equity is smart money and they have a real good grasp around how the market is changing alongside the economy and it is a bit alarming to me that not even on the firmware side there’a action. I mean a bit of love for the photo side would be nice.

Effectively the division is totally starved out.

buildbot

It appears that even simple firmware updates are rare these days. Ie have been cut. I think Private Equity is smart money and they have a real good grasp around how the market is changing alongside the economy and it is a bit alarming to me that not even on the firmware side there’a action. I mean a bit of love for the photo side would be nice.

Effectively the division is totally starved out.
They could let us build it ourselves even :/ It's based off a reference Linux OS development kit from Xilinx (now AMD).

doesnt Phase still offer the best sensors of medium format?
In an easy to use for photography form, yes. In the absolute sense, no. technically, others offer the IMX411 and other even larger sensors for B2B.

buildbot

What can you do with it and can it run in parallel in a non destructive way?
In theory I could run it in QEMU (an emulator), load the compiled p1Linux app, and run it, but I don't think you could run it in parallel on an IQ4 even if the back would accept firmware not built by Phase - I assume it is locked down like an iPhone and will only boot signed firmware. I haven't investigated any of this yet though.

Paul Spinnler

In theory I could run it in QEMU (an emulator), load the compiled p1Linux app, and run it, but I don't think you could run it in parallel on an IQ4 even if the back would accept firmware not built by Phase - I assume it is locked down like an iPhone and will only boot signed firmware. I haven't investigated any of this yet though.
Sounds it will take a lot of time to build a home brew OS. I vividly remember the efforts which went into cracking the venerable 5D! Manual control of parameters in video mode. How amazing was this: 35mm video recording with 1080p for 3k! Magic Lantern OS!

Last edited:

Ray Harrison

They could let us build it ourselves even :/ It's based off a reference Linux OS development kit from Xilinx (now AMD).

In an easy to use for photography form, yes. In the absolute sense, no. technically, others offer the IMX411 and other even larger sensors for B2B.
I know I was whingy and whiney before (I do apologize profusely) but did you ever get access to their code? EDIT: I see that they did - great!

Last edited: