The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which GFX

Sabrejet

I am now shooting with a Sony a7R4. Would like to get into MF. Would like to know which one and why I should buy? Thank you for your thoughts.

biglouis

In order to answer such a question I would need to ask: to fulfil what particular need?

LouisB

Knorp

I'd say you can't go wrong with the GFX100 if money is no objection. Performance wise it best matches your excellent a7R4.
However the GFX100 is rather big and heavy, so if your style is street and you like to go light the 50R with the 'tiny' GF50 is a great way to dip your toes into MF waters.
But what is it that you like to hear ?

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
@DougDolde is right. You cannot beat the price of an GFX 50R - especially now! Fujifilm is running a crazy promotion $1000 off the camera. This is the lowest price ever although I have to say I prefer the GFX 50s, it is easier to hold and the build quality is slightly better. Of course, the GFX 100 beats both with its modern sensor but it is HUGE camera.

ron787

I own and use all 3 GFX's, and while the GFX100 offers the most advanced internals, the GFX50s is the one I go for most often when my hands are at their steadiest, otherwise, the IBIS of the GFX100 is a boon. As one poster has indicated, the 50s is easier to hold than the 50r, with its deeper grip, and while the 50r's grip can be improved with a 3rd party grip extender like the Peipro, it still doesn't equal that of the 50s. Secondly, its weight hovers between that of the GFX100 and the 50r. That said, there is apparently a new GFX on the horizon that is rumored to be a lighter, smaller and less costly version of the GFX100, so unless you are in a rush to quench your GAS, you might want to wait and see how that turns out.

Personally, I had sold all of my Sony A7r, rIII, rIV series gear because I could not bond with the small bodies, and had ended up adding the battery grip to them just to approach ergonomic acceptability. So a smaller bodied GFX100 would not suit my needs, and I do not find the weight of the current iteration objectionable, but smaller, lighter, less costly will likely work for others.

tcdeveau

As another noted above, it is understood you want it for landscape, but what are you trying to get out of the GFX that the A7RIV doesn't do for you? Any particular reasons or just personal preference/want to try something new?

I don't have much experience with the GFX, but I'd say if money and size aren't an object, and IBIS is something you need, the GFX100 is the way to go. If you're on a budget, I'd do the 50r and stock up on lenses. If you don't like the ergonomics of the 50r and are on a budget, then I'd look for a used 50s.

As noted above, Fuji is rumored to release a new GFX with the 100mp sensor of the GFX100 in a smaller body Q1 2021. If the GFX100 is your top choice and you don't have any upcoming need, I'd wait to see what they have in store...it might be smaller and cheaper, or may affect the price of the GFX100. The price of the 50r is probably not going to get lower than the current 3500 USD sale price, so you could always go that route and upgrade later too.

gurtch

I use both the Sony A7RIV and GFX 50R. Both capable of BIG prints: 20"x30" and 24"x32". I have found that the Fuji lenses are the sharpest I have ever used, going all the way back to my Leica and Hasselbald days of 1960. I prefer the 3:4 ratio format, and there is a special "look" to my big medium format prints. Good luck, you will love the Fuji system.
Dave in NJ