The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which is the best software for Nikon files

Duff photographer

Howdo,

I'm looking at upgrading by main photo editing software from Adobe Photoshop CS6.

So, the question is what photo editing software (current or recent versions of any manufacturer) do you think gets the best out of Nikon RAW files prior to any deeper editing (e.g., spotting, cropping, etc.)?

Many thanks, :)
Duff.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

I use Nikon's free NX Studio to do the initial conversion from NEFs to 16bit TIFFs, and then Lightroom Classic to finalize processing and output the file for posting/printing.

Many people find NX Studio, just like the previous Nikon Capture NX / NX-D software, to be less powerful and more cumbersome/slow to use than well known PP software like ACR, Lightroom, Capture One, and others. However, I like that it gives me a great starting point using Nikon's own color science & profiles, and over time I'm learning to do more and more in NX Studio, and less and less in Lightroom. YMMV.

Duff photographer

...it gives me a great starting point using Nikon's own color science & profiles...

This is my thought too. If anyone is able to get the best out of the Nikon's RAW files, then it should be Nikon with their own colour science and profiles. I have been getting the impression from elsewhere that NX Studio does do that better than others, but it would be useful to know if 3rd parties can eke out all the information in NEF files to the same degree prior to any deeper editing if or when needed.

As it's free, I've just downloaded NX Studio anyway. It could replace Lightroom for me at the very least, which I use for basic editing and binning, but could never get used to. Just need to get a newer version of Windows to run it (as well as for any other PE software).

If NX does indeed get the best out of the raw file then I'll steal your workflow ;)

Cheers,
Duff.

Last edited:

Duff photographer

😁

-----

I wasn't expecting Nikon's own software to be on the radar, but based on what Darin said about NX Studio, I asked around within my own circle, and it appears that, of the two that have used it, NX Studio does get the best out of Nikon's own RAW files over third party software. So, while being a little less streamlined (and lacking certan features), I will adopt Darin's workflow of getting the best out of the file with NX Studio prior to exporting it as a TIFF for use (in my case) Photoshop if further editing is needed.

Thanks Darin. (y)

...and thanks all for your input.

Cheers,
Duff.

bernardl

Capture One as my main conversion software thanks to its best in class colors (proStandard profiles are superior to anything else I have seen), local adjustments,... and DxO for its ISO images thanks to deep prime (in a class of its own really).

trioderob

DXO 4 or DXO 5 .... hands down
its "deep prime" feature does an astounding job cleaning out any high ISO noise and its raw processor works amazing