The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

fotografz

Send for one to see how it works for you Juha.

One reason I wanted to try the A7R was to use my Leica M50/0.95 on it. One actual try and I was all in.

Now I've added the VM close-up adapter which allows the 50 Nocti to focus much, much closer than possible without it … making it even more versatile.

- Marc

That's good news mdg137! It's economical, fast & my favorite focal..

So not the sharpest wide open, gets better stopped down to f5.6-f8'ish. Any idea when it'll be sharp corner to corner?

//Juha

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
That's good news mdg137! It's economical, fast & my favorite focal..

So not the sharpest wide open, gets better stopped down to f5.6-f8'ish. Any idea when it'll be sharp corner to corner?

//Juha
Juha, I must be missing something here. What is the point of paying for an f/1.1 lens if it doesn't get acceptably sharp until f/5.6-f/8? A lens like that is of little and very specialized use at all to me. That has got to be more than a "touch" soft wide open, which is the only place I would likely ever have it set. As to sharp corner to corner, if it takes f/8 to get there in the center, it will take way more than it has to get sharp across the frame I would think. So I doubt it ever does.

That said, there sure are a lot of positives with an f/1.1. Starting with the beautiful drawing signature. That f/1.1 is a pretty lens. Razor sharp is way overrated for anything but landscape photography in my mind anyway, and I doubt your going to be shooting landscapes at f/1.1 anyway. Soft is your friend if you shoot portraits, trust me. Any razor sharp lens only gets me razor sharp comments about how badly I make her look from my wife ;=)

Last edited:
Hi Chuck and thanks for the comments. What I meant that I'm not expecting it to be "make your eyes bleed" sharp at f1.1, but still reasonably so. Say something similar to last pre-asph summilux-m 50. It was a great Mandler design and I liked it a lot on the m9.

And then hopefully landscape sharp around 5.6. To me this kind of combo would be great. I could do portraits between 1.1 and 2.8 and the roam around in the cities or country side and get some landscapes from 5.6 onwards.. multifunctional lens, a swiss army knife.

//Juha

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Chuck and thanks for the comments. What I meant that I'm not expecting it to be "make your eyes bleed" sharp at f1.1, but still reasonably so. Say something similar to last pre-asph summilux-m 50. It was a great Mandler design and I liked it a lot on the m9.

And then hopefully landscape sharp around 5.6. To me this kind of combo would be great. I could do portraits between 1.1 and 2.8 and the roam around in the cities or country side and get some landscapes from 5.6 onwards.. multifunctional lens, a swiss army knife.

//Juha
Got ya. Now I understand. I have never shot the Nocton f/1.1, but I kind of doubt there is anything at any cost that is going to be "make your eyes bleed" sharp at f1.1 dude ;) I'd love to own it though if you find one! That said, you have a lot of 50mm range lenses at f/1.2 & f/1.4 that should fit the bill nicely.

If you like that pre-asph 50 'Lux, but hate the cost, you may want to have a look at a Canon 55 f/1.2 FD. It's a bigger lens, but the look is very similar to my eye and a slight bit faster. Most excellent on the A7R.

Aryan Aqajani

The lens my camera wears in my shoulder bag is a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4, tiny lens, costs $80 for a great copy, dreamy wide open, lovely rendering throughout and at f8 beat the snot out of my Canon 50L for resolved detail at any f-stop and has great corners. Did I mention that price? :D
What adapter do you use for this lens Ben? Also, have you ever tried the f/1.2 version of it? More expensive though!

Thanks,

Ben Rubinstein

I had a cheap ebay one but invested in the Novoflex on the understanding that as I'd sold a 50L and switched to the Super Tak which I had bought 4 years ago for $70, I had cash to spare. :).

Yeah, better get a good one. I got some chinese cheap adapter free with the lens and it's not really good.. Nice & tight on the lens but really loose on the body, think at least 2-3mm of play on the body side. No idea how much of a prob that is, but can't be good.

//Juha

Aryan Aqajani

I had a cheap ebay one but invested in the Novoflex on the understanding that as I'd sold a 50L and switched to the Super Tak which I had bought 4 years ago for $70, I had cash to spare. :).
Thanks for the reply :) I had a look at B&H website but no luck finding the right one! The adapter is the one which converts Pentax K mounts to Sony NEX? Sorry for my dumb question as I have no experience with these adaptors!

danlindberg

I have had my A7R in the box, on the shelf for 10 days now. No lens.....:(

5 minutes ago I ordered the first one :D It is 'my' copy on the pic...

Aryan Aqajani

Here's the link. To be frank it's cheaper to buy in Europe for once. Probably faster as well to be honest as they have it in stock there.
Thanks Ben. I finally decided to get Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F/1.5 Aspherical and Voigtlander closeup adaptor! There are lots of options on old lenses but couldn't find a nice clean lens! I will defenetly get something around 85mm in near future :face smack:

I have had my A7R in the box, on the shelf for 10 days now. No lens.....:(

5 minutes ago I ordered the first one :D It is 'my' copy on the pic...

Can't wait to see what you do with it Dan :bugeyes:

Godfrey

The default lens normally fitted to my A7, so far, is the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4. Second to that has been the Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8.

In the past couple of weeks, however, the M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 has been sitting on it a bit more of the time: it makes the A7 into a compact camera.

But I really like to use it with the 90mm, the 19mm, the 18mm, the 135mm, and the 35mm just arrived ...

The one lens I could likely do without is the Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 mostly because of its size and weight. I should likely have gotten the Elmar-R 180mm f/4 instead.

That's as much as I can say about 'the one manual focus lens' ... ;-)

G

Godfrey

Mine arrives today :)

I'm going out on a limb and pick a lens I don't have: Voigtlander 40mm Nokton. It just looks like so much fun!
Since I have both the Nokton 40/1.4 and the M-Rokkor 40/2 (identical to the Summicron-C 40/2 for all intents and purposes), I'll go out on a limb and say that I find the M-Rokkor/Summicrion-C is a better pick. In my using both of these lenses, back to back, the M-Rokkor 40 is easier to focus and has fewer edge/corner issues than the Nokton 40.

My M-Rokkor 40 is the generation II model that shipped with the Minolta CLE. It adds to the Summicron-C and generation I M-Rokkor lenses with multi-coating and is a tiny bit smaller/lighter as well; same optical formula. It's a very very nice lens.

G

Godfrey

I'm thinking of taking the easy way out and buying 3 lenses instead.. And it's all your fault! (goes for you too Guy) LOL

24/2.8 elmarit-r, 50 summicron-r and 90 elmarit-m (or hexanon-m). I could have three of these for about 1500usd, all in a good condition and with their own adapters. How's that for a cheap 24-50-90!

Put a bid in for the 50 cron already.. trying to negotiate free delivery still, cuz I'm a cheapskate too sometimes ;-)

//Juha
If you go for the Summicron-R 90mm instead, you can buy one Novoflex adapter and use it for all three lenses. This takes up less space in your bag and saves money too. :)

G

Godfrey

Might be best to choose a great character lens as the FE line are likely to be 'all business'. Having witnessed the FE55 remorselessly blow the Summicron-R 50/2 E55 off the mount forever by virtue of its versatility and powerhouse performance, I'll go with the CY Distagon 21mm, the one that if it fails to deliver it's always my fault. ;-)
As I said up top in this thread, nearly all the lenses for the A7 that I use are Leica R. I'm rather unconcerned with whether the FE lenses out-perform the Leica R on details of resolution, etc. I love the Leica Look™ fairy dust that the Leica R lenses provide in spades, and will take that over technical superiority any day of the week. :)

G