The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which telephoto focal length / lens as companion to 32mm on tech cam for landscapes?

peterm1

Hi everyone. I currently have a Cambo 1600 tech cam with an IQ3100 and Rodenstock 32mm (and 23mm), and am considering telephoto options for more reach / compressed or stitched landscapes on occasion. I want to keep my kit simple so I am just looking to add one lens, which will probably get a lot less use than my 32mm since I am much more of a wide angle shooter.

I am researching options from 70mm to 150mm. My concern with 70mm is that there is not enough of a jump from 32mm, and that perhaps a 90mm or longer would really be more useful when the landscape is much further in the distance. Plus, stitching a 70mm starts getting closer to just using a 32mm by itself, which of course is easier (albeit the single shot 32mm would be a lower resolution than a stitched 70mm).

Based on your experiences shooting landscapes in the field, any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Peter

Paul Spinnler

Both the Rodenstock 90 and 138 HR lenses would be excellent for landscape and stitching work. The main consideration in my view is whether you really want nothing in between 32mm and the long end. Both of these allow for 35mm shift on a short barrel mount which basically means very high resolution Panos are possible and you probably won't run out of shift except if you own an Alpa XY.

If you get the 138mm you still have the option to get the 70mm later on, but it is significantly more heavy than the 90mm and also more expensive.

The other good point about the 138mm is that it would allow you to stitch while still staying reasonably "tele" and then you can always add the 70mm to the kit if you think you miss it.

I don't have an excel sheet here, but if you stitch with the 138mm you should be able to get to a 70mm or thereabout equivalent without problem.

Only moderate wide-anlge would be tricky if you go from 32mm to 138mm.

I personally would do: 32mm + 90mm and the 138mm only if you can stomach its price plus down the road a 70mm to cover moderate wide-angle via stitch to normal.

Best
Paul

peterm1

Thanks Paul - I am thinking 90mm as well - the 138mm is out of my price range. The 90mm also has a nice large IC for shifting as well.

Greg Haag

Peter, I have the Cambo 1600 as well. My kit is Rodenstock 32, 90 and 180. I tend to shoot the 180mm in places like Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley and I use it often at the beach. Depending on how you shoot, the 90 is a fantastic lens and may be more versatile. I have no experience with the 138.
Good Luck!

dchew

Another vote for a 90mm especially if the 138 is out of consideration. Either 90 hr-sw or the sk apo-digitar. The Rodenstock is definitely the better choice if you are going to make the most of the image circle.

After spending some time with a 32 / 90 combo, you can decide later if you want the 70hr or maybe the 50hr instead since you shoot wide more often. I've never had it but I hear it is quite good.

Dave

vjbelle

I have both the Rody 90mm and 138mm and find them both outstanding. If it were me coming from the 32mm I would opt for the 90mm as the 138 is really a leap FL wise. I would actually opt additionally for something between the 32 and the 90 in the 50 to 72mm range as I have found those FL's to be very conducive to landscapes.

Victor B.

tcdeveau

Just another POV.....I decided for my own uses if I go longer I'll bite the bullet and go for the 138 and have a 40/70/138 kit.

I currently have the 40 and 70 HRs. There's not a huge difference between 40 and 70, but, IMHO it's a meaningful difference....would be more so with 32mm.

FWIW the 70 has been my go to lately and lives on my tech cam. It's a great all around lens IMHO.

It's relatively small and compact (compared to the 32, 40, 90, and 138), i love the "normal" FOV, and it's easy to stitch when you need wider. I have the IQ4150 Achro and can crop if I need a narrower field of view without losing too much resolution., so I have kinda decided I can probably skip the 90. The 90 on the Alpa also requires another 17mm spacer/adapter, so skipping the 90 (and cropping with the 70 to the 90mm FOV) means less things in my bag to keep up with (the 138 would also require another adapter but it's easier to justify because the difference in FOV between the 70 and 138 is bigger than the FOV difference between 70 and 90).. The 70 would also presumably be cheaper than the 90.

In an ideal world, however, I'd listen to Dante and get them all (23, 32, 90, and 138), but there's the issue of funds, spousal approval, etc etc etc :)

jng

Thanks All. I decided to start with a used 70mm HR after all, care of Dave Gallagher at CI. If I planning a special trip where more reach is needed, maybe I'll rent a 138mm (or a IQ4150...) Looking forward to giving it a go...have a great weekend!
A little late to the party here, but I think the 70HR will complement your 32HR nicely. Compared to the 90, it's not such a huge jump from the 32 and you can always stitch if you need wider framing. From my experience, I found that the 70HR shifts cleanly to 15mm (maybe more) on the IQ3 100. You might also keep your eyes out for an SK150 (or SK120), which would make a nice three lens kit without totally breaking the bank. Well, at least compared to the 138 float.

Also (and sorry, I just can't help myself)... if you pick up a Cambo V adapter for the old Hasselblad lenses, this opens up some nice possibilities on the long end at a bargain price (relatively speaking). For example, the V system 4/150 Sonnar does quite well on the 100 Mp sensor, and the 4/180 Sonnar is simply outstanding. The 5.6/250 Superachromat is exquisite but alas even beat up copies are fetching a princely sum.

John

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I use the Rodie 32 and 70mm lenses on my XT and find they cover 90% of my needs. I would like a longer lens but weight then becomes a real issue in the field. The 70 mm is a bit of an unsung hero in my book - mine is a fantastic "prime" lens.

ThdeDude

My kit is Rodenstock 32, 90 and 180. I tend to shoot the 180mm in places like Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley and I use it often at the beach.
What speaks for the 180mm Digaron-S is that it is the longest focal length lens currently still available and that the lens itself is relatively lightweight even if the mounting may not be. The 138mm Digaron-SW has more lens coverage, is suitable for macro work, and apparently sets new optical standards.

Last edited:

vieri

My kit for the Rm3di is 23, 40 and 180, all Rodenstock. I just added a Schneider 100mm, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet (will do so starting tomorrow in Snowdonia though, can't wait!).

Old Hasselblad V lenses are great, but a bit suffering on the IQ4 150 mp - I tried the 50 FLE and 180/4, both very good but definitely not up to the sensor's resolution IMHO.

Best regards,

Vieri

peterm1

Thanks Vieri - you got me started on the road to tech cams! Really appreciate your in depth reviews as well. Got the 23mm and can’t wait to put it to good use. Think the 23/32/70 trio should do me well for a while. Would love to try out the IQ4150 one day as well. Hopefully their prices will come down over time…

vieri

Thanks Vieri - you got me started on the road to tech cams! Really appreciate your in depth reviews as well. Got the 23mm and can’t wait to put it to good use. Think the 23/32/70 trio should do me well for a while. Would love to try out the IQ4150 one day as well. Hopefully their prices will come down over time…
Hey Peter, my pleasure! Happy to see you enjoying the ride with Tech Cams, such a different - and amazing, IMHO - way to create.

Best regards,

Vieri

Another vote for the 90. It’s my most used lens. I also have the 50 but don’t use it as much as the 90. I got the 90 because of its optical qualities and because the jump from 32 to 90 seemed to make more sense to me than a jump from 32 to 70.

Smoothjazz

Vieri,

I am curious to hear how you like the 100mm lens for your tech cam.
Any specific reason you chose the 100mm over the highly recommended 90mm- longer reach or lighter weight?

JeffK

Great choice on the 70HR. I used to have 35, 47, 70, 150 for tech cam. Sold the 47 and 150. Now I just have the 70hr and stitch for wider when needed. The 70hr is in an ALPA mount.

I also kept the 35XL since it's what I started with. Came with a big old Cambo WDS, but I was able to get a little WRC-400 from Dave at CI. Now I've got a nice little wide angle kit that fits in a small bag. In general though I'm using the ALPA w/70HR over 95% of the time. Holding on to the 35XL just in case. Would be too expensive to replace later most likely.

Another vote for the 70HR. It's a crazy sharp little lens. I have the 32mm/50mm/70mm for the XT. I've thought about adding something longer but the depth of field is already pretty shallow with the 70mm.