The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why none of the Canon R3 reviewers seem to be using a 28-70 f/2?

aksclix

Considering the size of R3, I can only imagine the 28-70 would be more balanced with it.. none of the reviews I have seen seem to have a 28-70 mounted on an R3..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Camera reviewers don't seem to be able to have two thoughts in their heads at the same time. A camera body and a lens? No, that's too much. Would be an interesting combo to try out though.

aksclix

Camera reviewers don't seem to be able to have two thoughts in their heads at the same time. A camera body and a lens? No, that's too much. Would be an interesting combo to try out though.
I am very interested in knowing that.. I've pre-ordered it but not sure if I am ready to let the R5 go.. 28-70 is front heavy on the R5.. hope someone with access will post one sooner rather than later..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am very interested in knowing that.. I've pre-ordered it but not sure if I am ready to let the R5 go.. 28-70 is front heavy on the R5.. hope someone with access will post one sooner rather than later..
Yes, clearly the 28-70 has been looking for a camera like this.

aksclix

Alright! My R3 got delivered yesterday and I tried my 28-70 on it.. surprising, I couldn’t find one review of the combo yet..

The body does NOT feel light with this lens but feels better with the 100-500 for sure… a little disappointed because it’s really bulky and heavy! (Not for someone coming from a 1Dx) On the flip side, loving the controls, eye control AF, big BEAUTIFUL EVF.. will shoot with my R5 and this one over the course of the next 2 weeks and decide which one to keep! 45MP to 24MP downgrade is manageable.. I got the gigapixelAI which does a decent job

aksclix

so what your experience now with the R3 vs R5?
I sold my R5 soon after I decided I want to keep the R3. The eye control works reliably for me. The 30 fps and the slightly advanced tracking capabilities were good enough reasons for me to upgrade. For me, the R5 was slightly smaller but the R3 is much larger. I wish there was an in-between option in terms of size and weight but there is none :(
The only cons for me with the R3 are weight and price. I am not sure the price gap between R5 and R3 is totally justified. I would have liked a 36MP instead of 24MP just so I could have the liberty to crop without worrying about losing detail. I've got the Topaz s/w to up-res it for me if needed.. :)
I could operate the R5 with my 28-70 with one hand but the R3 definitely requires both hands.
Here's an image of some goose I shot recently with the R3 and 100-500. If I didn't have a Sony a1 also, I may not have upgraded to the R3 perhaps.. I do need the ability to crop!
Have not shot any motorsports or events yet.. but will return to that later this year!

Attachments

Paratom

Thank you aksclix for your feedback. If the R3 had more MP the decision would be easier. I dont have a A1 "Backup-system" - so I decided for the R5 because of resolution/ occasional crop ability and because I can take off the grip. I was a bit worried about the need to go to mecanical shutter because of rolling shutter effects, and that means slower frames/Sec. but so far R5 works ok for me. I bet the R3 has a real advantage in this regard, its like 8/12 frames/sek vs 20 with the R3 if I see it correct.

aksclix

The R5 is plenty good. I honestly wish I kept the R5 too. I have the canon 11-24 and the VND filter adapter. I would’ve liked a 45MP for landscapes.. I’ll probably get one later by swapping out some of my other unused gear. I know 24MP was the most available few years ago and we were all quite happy with it but once you get used to the higher MP and crop abilities, you’ll just want them.
I haven’t encountered the rolling shutter problem on the R3 or the R5 as I haven’t shot under those circumstances I guess.. both cameras stop at 12fps in mechanical mode

Paratom

Yes, but the R3 readout is faster , so R3 electronic shutter should work for speedy sports while R5 electronic shutter should lead to the risk of rolling shutter effects.