The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

Wildlife Photography

biglouis

I'd prefer a dedicated section but here we go. I am genuinely interested in suggestions/tips for future opportunities.

I took this yesterday morning. Obviously, it was a 'grab shot' in the sense I could just about anticipate what was going to happen but getting my lens onto it was all I could do.

I'm using the Fuji X-T4 and Fuji XF 200mm f2, settings f2.0 1/500 and auto-iso selected iso1600. No EV adjustment, iirc.

It is very popular on social media so far but I know it is technically far from perfect. Should I be satisfied with the content versus technical perfection?

How could I have prepared better for this? Should I have tried to have focus on the bird instead of the foxes? Should I have been stopped down further?

I feel it was a lost opportunity to try and get both bird and fox in 'apparent' focus. Or would that just have been impossible no matter what I did?

_DSF5794-Edit.jpg

darr

I rather like this Louis. If you got the bird in focus and not the foxes, it would have shown the bird's perspective greater than the foxes, and I do not know if it would be a better story. That is one cute set of foxes! Look at the little guy off the ground reaching, while the other one is not taking his eye off the target either.

Definitely a compromise had to be made for focusing, but you did a great job IMO. Shutter speed had to be fast, thus stopping down may not have been an option.
I can see why this image is popular. I like it!!

Best,
Darr

Shashin

You need slower birds...

This type of photography is so reflexive it is hard to do anything but keep trying. Like Darr, the focus point is going to alter the point of view and I cannot be sure which is "better." I thing the hard part in this image is the separation between the bird and fox tail. It took me a second to figure it out.

Unless you put your foxes and pigeons through a rigorous training program, I think you are just going to have to develop your skills. I think it is about being fluid and taking chances and opportunities with wildlife. (You could buy a cat. People seem to photograph them easily. But don't buy a black cat. Too dark. You really want your fur to be in the mid tones.)

But getting the attention of both foxes is really good in this image. So the focus point in that case is really good.

biglouis

Thanks, everyone for comments. Most useful. Getting feedback is very helpful. It helps concentrate the mind for future opportunities.

LouisB