The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WIMBLEDON

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Having been a big fan of professional tennis my whole life , I await the beginning of Wimbledon each year . I always say ...we should go back again ..but we never do . I have been to Wimbledon 6 times and it was easier when I could expense those tickets ! Those were in the day that clients looked forward to big time sporting events and we not fearful about being called out for it . I could always count on center court tickets for several days each year .

I have always taken a camera and learned to shoot from the stands mostly with Leica M equipment . Larger cameras you just can not get in with .

In 2003 Tim Henman .the UK favorite , progressed into the final rounds . I found myself in corner seats parallel with the Royal Box and right behind Richard Williams (Serena and Venus father ) . He was shooting with a Canon DSLR . I was stuck with a. Leica Digilux 1...4MP .

I decided to see what could be done with the newest Topaz tools and 20 year old 4MP jpeg (in harsh sunlight ) . Did my tone mapping in LR ,enlarged in Topaz Gigapixel and then Sharpened on Topaz AI . Added a small amount of grain to get closer to Tri-X . This could be done a lot better (with Nik Silver Eff) but I am not sure I could capture a better moment . Henman had a real chance and the UK had not had a champion for so long .

I guess you had to be there or a tennis nut to really appreciate this photo ..but I always enjoy looking at this one .WimbledonHenman-.jpgshopping.jpeg