The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D previews

jduncan

The previews are starting, clearly, the first ones are going to be by friends of the brand, but I will say they are useful.

What I can't get for the life of me is why it does not have a joystick to select the focus point or at least a pad, but OK as I say before the progress is massive.
In Hasselblad's intro, the H is not on the list of milestones, even when it was revolutionary back in the day.
Best regards,

Last edited:

jduncan

I hesitated to add this one,
Because we know about Karl Tylor:
  1. He is a fantastic photographer.
  2. He is a master of light.
  3. He has a fantastic career, with many iconic images.
  4. He is far, far from objective when it comes to "reviewing" Hasselblad's cameras.
I suggest taking it as if iwas comming directly from hasselblad:

Last edited:

robmac

Only the new XCD V 90mm lens is 1/4000 sync. The rest limited to 1/2000.

Hi, Thanks for sharing.
I have a question about the 1/4000 sync speed. Do you know if it works with the old orange dot X system lenses like the 80mm f1.9 or just with the new ones?

Best regards.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Thanks for sharing.
I have a question about the 1/4000 sync speed. Do you know if it works with the old orange dot X system lenses like the 80mm f1.9 or just with the new ones?

Best regards.
Great question! @Steve Hendrix did you guys tested it with the old orange dot X system lenses?

SrMphoto

Hi, Thanks for sharing.

Best regards.
1/4000 will work only with the new 90mm lens (thinner shutter blades and different shutter unit; source: DPR).

drevil

Staff member
Great design as always, an improvement in every aspect, and nice new lenses that are all well faster than fuji competition, bright future for HB it seems

SrMphoto

The previews are starting, clearly, the first ones are going to be by friends of the brand, but I will say they are useful.

What I can't get for the life of me is why it does not have a joystick to select the focus point or at least a pad, but OK as I say before the progress is massive.
In Hasselblad's intro, the H is not on the list of milestones, even when it was revolutionary back in the day.
Best regards,
I assume that you can use the rear LCD as a touchpad to move the focus point.

med

I assume that you can use the rear LCD as a touchpad to move the focus point.
Personally I’ve never understood this method since the touchscreen does not naturally fall under any fingers in any sort of “shooting position” at least for me… I find it very unnatural to move focus points this way, and more often than not the only time it is used on bodies I have that support it is when it is activated accidentally by my nose or some other errant patch of skin that moves the point down into a corner. It’s also next to impossible to move the focus point on the touchscreen whilst using the EVF, although some manufacturers have clever ways of using the touchscreen during EVF use…

Joysticks all the way for AF points for me, though!

SrMphoto

Personally I’ve never understood this method since the touchscreen does not naturally fall under any fingers in any sort of “shooting position” at least for me… I find it very unnatural to move focus points this way, and more often than not the only time it is used on bodies I have that support it is when it is activated accidentally by my nose or some other errant patch of skin that moves the point down into a corner. It’s also next to impossible to move the focus point on the touchscreen whilst using the EVF, although some manufacturers have clever ways of using the touchscreen during EVF use…

Joysticks all the way for AF points for me, though!
I am also used to and prefer joysticks and wish X2D included a joystick. However, using the touchpad to move the focus point (supported by many other cameras as well) works OK for me. I found Hasselblad's implementation much better than what is implemented with other brands. Only a part of the LCD is used for moving the focus point. That part of LCD is typically not reachable by a nose. It may be an issue for left-eye shooters, though.

Have you used it on X1D? If not, you should try it in-store before rejecting it as an option.

Reactions: med

med

Have you used it on X1D? If not, you should try it in-store before rejecting it as an option.
Thanks! That is good info and it sounds like Hasselblad may have addressed my main concerns with touchscreen only focus point control. I confess that I have not had a chance to handle an X1D(or X1DII) since an early pre-production unit back in 2016 that was slow as molasses and crashed while I was getting accustomed to it. My touch AF experience is limited to various Fuji and Leica bodies, however they all had joysticks or at least D-pads so I never felt the need to put any effort into touch-AF and usually disable it if I am able to. I would love to get my hands on an X2D but as far as I know, nobody local carries Hasselblad, or at least has display/demo copies usually... Maybe Camtech in Montreal does. Will check next time I'm in town!

tcdeveau

Thanks! That is good info and it sounds like Hasselblad may have addressed my main concerns with touchscreen only focus point control. I confess that I have not had a chance to handle an X1D(or X1DII) since an early pre-production unit back in 2016 that was slow as molasses and crashed while I was getting accustomed to it. My touch AF experience is limited to various Fuji and Leica bodies, however they all had joysticks or at least D-pads so I never felt the need to put any effort into touch-AF and usually disable it if I am able to. I would love to get my hands on an X2D but as far as I know, nobody local carries Hasselblad, or at least has display/demo copies usually... Maybe Camtech in Montreal does. Will check next time I'm in town!
I had the same experience in 2016.....they've come a long way since then and it looks like the X2D is a faster experience (with a nice looking UI too IMHO)

Reactions: med

Thyl

Is there any information whether the new XCD lenses will work with the X1DII?
The website of Hasselblad states e.g.: "
Combining the XCD 2,5/55V with a Hasselblad mirrorless medium format camera yields stunning results."

so, to me, that means yes. Evrything else would also make no sense at all. Of course, a firmware update will be mandatory. as usual.

jduncan

One more, the verge, a little bit more critical :

It was a little bit painful to see the camera struggle to focus on a building with plenty of light. The images, on the other hand, fantastic.

Last edited:

msadat

The phase detect is not part of the firmware when this ships, I also don’t know if old lenses will work with phase detect