The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D questions, comments, tips

Paratom

i didnt want to hijack the x2d vs S3 thread with off topic questions.

do you guys use cf express card or just the internal storage? Any idea how many images have place on 128gb?

peterm1

I've been using just the internal storage, since offloading pics straight from the camera is really fast that way via USB-C. However, since I have a CF 128GB Express card and reader from my Phase One system anyway, I think I am going to start using that card in the X2D and record to both internal storage and CF card for safety and use the reader to offload pics. I prefer popping the card out of the camera and using the reader to attaching my camera to my computer even though it's a slower offloading speed. However, one nice side benefit of attaching the camera to your computer is you can recharge the X2D by leaving it plugged into your computer....

Not sure how many pics the 128GB card will hold but you can Google that - not near my camera now, sorry!

peterm1

One question I have for X2D users is whether they love using any particular M-mount lenses on it, even if cropped to square. I have the Novoflex M adapter but sold all my M mount lenses except my Voigtlander 15mm III.

Photon42

@Paratom So I do use the CF Card and the internal storage. I regularly offload the images from the CF-Card onto the computer and then delete the images on the CF Card, while I keep the ones in the internal storage. If that is filled by about 3/4, I remove older photos on the internal storage.
Honestly, if parallel storage isn't important for you, you can go very well with just the internal one.

@peterm1 As for M lenses, I use a Voigtländer 21/1.4 sometimes as a panorama option. Needs to be cropped. I quite like the 50/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar, which works without cropping, just like the Summilux ASPH with the same focal length. IIRC the Summicron 90 also works well without cropping.

Steve Hendrix

do you guys use cf express card or just the internal storage? Any idea how many images have place on 128gb?

The X2D 3FR files I've captured so far seem to average between 215mb - 220mb each. So a 128GB card should hold around 560 - 600 images.

Steve Hendrix/CI

ben446

X2D Exposure Bracketing pre purchase question.

Is it possible to set a 2 frame exposure bracket on the X2D? The manual doesn't say. I believe you can on the H6D. I would be trying to mimic the IQ4 150's DualExposure+ with processing in post.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

I save to both. The SSD keeps everything. I delete bad or test images from the CF. Burning through a 128GB card is a strange concept, yet here we are.

MGrayson

X2D Exposure Bracketing pre purchase question.

Is it possible to set a 2 frame exposure bracket on the X2D? The manual doesn't say. I believe you can on the H6D. I would be trying to mimic the IQ4 150's DualExposure+ with processing in post.
Yep, it works. You can choose 2 frames.

MGrayson

Has anyone used their X2D on the rain? I was thinking of taking it out with the 45/3.5. Well, one way or the other, it will earn a "Real World Test" entry!
Thanks,
Matt

so far so good…
Wet X2D

Last edited:

MGrayson

How would YOU feel if your bathroom had no roof and it was raining? About like this poor dog. (A smoke test of the X2D in the rain. Not intended as a real photograph.)

X2D, XCD 45/3.5 @f/9.5, 1/45, ISO 1600

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Oh, I made sure to stand out in the rain to take pics. Not torrential, but definite water falling from the skies.

Camera still works.

In my experience, escaping negative ramifications from rainy conditions for devices that are not-weather proofed or have unknown weather resistant properties is a random event.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

In my experience, escaping negative ramifications from rainy conditions for devices that are not-weather proofed or have unknown weather resistant properties is a random event.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,
I would certainly not have tried this if not for Hassy’s repeated use of vague “weather resistant” terms. There are lots of o-ring seals in the correct locations.
I took the Leica S out in snowstorms because they held it under running water in an early promotional video.
So how do we find the true weather sealing of the X2D?
Best,
Matt

Steve Hendrix

Steve,
I would certainly not have tried this if not for Hassy’s repeated use of vague “weather resistant” terms. There are lots of o-ring seals in the correct locations.
I took the Leica S out in snowstorms because they held it under running water in an early promotional video.
So how do we find the true weather sealing of the X2D?
Best,
Matt

Right, exactly. There's vague-ness there. Generally, if I don't see strong marketing behind weather sealing from a manufacturer, I recommend caution (actually, I recommend caution anyway). And my random adjective is how I think of results from shooting in the rain, as I have had clients who have had Phase One cameras exposed to quite a bit of rain and been fine, and others who were just barely exposed and total loss.

How to find the weather sealing in the absence of a formal statement from the manufacturer is a challenge, though I recall Roger Cicala from Lensrentals some years back broke down a Fuji GFX 100 that was supposedly fully weather sealed, and found it almost was.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/08/the-fujifilm-gfx-100-vs-salt-water-teardown/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Geoff

Could this perhaps be the difference between a design intention (provide o rings as needed) and a later decision not to certify it as weather-sealed, which has significant legal exposure? That would explsin the early references vs lack of definition.
Where this gets very tricky is whether or not the original intention was fully executed? The risk is all on the user.

MGrayson

Right, exactly. There's vague-ness there. Generally, if I don't see strong marketing behind weather sealing from a manufacturer, I recommend caution (actually, I recommend caution anyway). And my random adjective is how I think of results from shooting in the rain, as I have had clients who have had Phase One cameras exposed to quite a bit of rain and been fine, and others who were just barely exposed and total loss.

How to find the weather sealing in the absence of a formal statement from the manufacturer is a challenge, though I recall Roger Cicala from Lensrentals some years back broke down a Fuji GFX 100 that was supposedly fully weather sealed, and found it almost was.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/08/the-fujifilm-gfx-100-vs-salt-water-teardown/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,
It is certainly not my intention to encourage risky behavior. I’ve always lived by “one experiment is worth 1000 posts”, but your caution is well taken.
Best,
Matt

hcubell

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi, Steve. Happy New Year. That's been my exact experience with an X1DII. I have always been careful to try to protect my X1DII when shooting in rain and snow, usually using a clear, disposable, plastic hairnet to cover the camera body. And, I do a lot of shooting in Vermont and Iceland in terrible weather. However, having never run into a problem, I was shooting in Vermont in a heavy wet snowstorm a couple of years ago and didn't bother to use anything to cover the camera, the camera became covered with snow, and the next thing I knew the camera was functioning strangely. The green status light on the LCD screen stayed on even after I tried to shut the camera down. I sent the camera body into Hasselblad in NJ and they repaired it within a week. It needed a new "Monitor Module". Total cost was $897. I believe that water had somehow leaked into the top of the LCD screen and caused some damage. I'm back to being very careful.

NLSparks

Olympus/OMDS is one of the few camera manufactures who specifically states the weather sealing of their camera's so the OM-1 achieves an IP rating of 53, which is a high level of dust resistance and the '3' indicates that the camera can withstand at least three minutes of water being sprayed at a 60 degree angle.
Much better than a vague claim of 'weather sealed'