The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF 200mm f2 plus TC1.4x at all time low in the UK

biglouis

I've been round and round on a decision over a dedicated prime wildlife lens over the last year or so because the one lens I would have liked to own I felt was massively over-priced: the XF 200 f2 with 1.4x TC.

Park Cameras is currently selling them in the UK for £1900 off the current RRP of £5399 bringing it to a level where (disposing of other equipment in px) I can justify acquiring it.

I'll reserve judgement on whether this has really been a good idea until it arrives and I can test it.

However, in the meantime if anyone else in the UK has been tempted by this lens in the past but felt it vastly overpriced, now is your chance to own it at a level which I think is commensurate with primes from other manufacturers in the same class (actually better when you think about the Nikon or Canon 300mm primes).

I hope this doesn't appear boastful on my part, the intention of this post really is a public service message for the UK Fuji community in case anyone wants to take advantage (not sure they will export elsewhere as we are suffering all sorts of issues post-Brexit in this country).

Just my two cents

Louis

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulation Louis, great decision!

If I were still in Fujifilm X territory I probably would have done the same especially for that price - and as addition to the already excellent 100-400.

You can't get wrong with that lens!

Enjoy!

biglouis

Congratulation Louis, great decision!

If I were still in Fujifilm X territory I probably would have done the same especially for that price - and as addition to the already excellent 100-400.

You can't get wrong with that lens!

Enjoy!
Thanks, Peter.

It has been such a tortuous journey deciding what to do. I use my Fuji's for all my pro-work (such as it is) and what has held me back again and again is that I really did not want to start another camera system just for wildlife so I've just endured the XF100-400.

The XF100-400 is a bit of a mixed bag. It is capable of very good captures and capable of really poor ones, as well - and I have not been able to consistently work out why. The sweet spot is 300mm at very slow speeds (e.g. 1/80-1/100) with the OIS engaged and the lens stopped down to f6.4. Higher speeds (e.g. 1/2000-1/4000) without OIS are actually worse, which I have never fully understood.

My only concern is that I will inevitably find the XF200, even with TC1.4x too short but only time will tell. Certainly, for my fox captures it will be absolutely fantastic, especially as I shoot often at very low light levels (so f2 will be amazing).

Anyway, I have the standard 14 days in this country to decide if I really like it and we'll see.

Louis.

Bugleone

Interesting........

I don't think that this lens is for wildlife shooters as it's a little 'short' and also so extremely expensive as there are not that many pro wildlife protagonists to make this lens viable for Fuji. However, it would be useful for sports and media event workers who have large returns for the right images......but even better with a new sensor technology behind it.......

I actually believe that this lens might be the start of Fuji's next series of cameras....as yet we have not seen the camera(s) that are intended to fit on this staggering piece of glass but I think it will be APS-C 'live-AI' type of device with a live action sensor that can capture automatic focus stacking and multiple sensor captures with every shutter push, thus offereing perhaps a 200 mil pixel equiv. captures. That would make the most sense to me anyway!...mainly for marketing reasons and the current state of cameras, phones and computing.

APS-C is beginning to be vulnerable to phone technology and, as we know, AI editing is raising it's head currently...in addition many photo enthusiasts are interested in focus stacking. Many of these issues are difficult for phone designers so this might be the way that Fuji, and others, might keep in the camera business.

biglouis

Interesting........

I don't think that this lens is for wildlife shooters as it's a little 'short' and also so extremely expensive as there are not that many pro wildlife protagonists to make this lens viable for Fuji. However, it would be useful for sports and media event workers who have large returns for the right images......but even better with a new sensor technology behind it.......

I actually believe that this lens might be the start of Fuji's next series of cameras....as yet we have not seen the camera(s) that are intended to fit on this staggering piece of glass but I think it will be APS-C 'live-AI' type of device with a live action sensor that can capture automatic focus stacking and multiple sensor captures with every shutter push, thus offereing perhaps a 200 mil pixel equiv. captures. That would make the most sense to me anyway!...mainly for marketing reasons and the current state of cameras, phones and computing.

APS-C is beginning to be vulnerable to phone technology and, as we know, AI editing is raising it's head currently...in addition many photo enthusiasts are interested in focus stacking. Many of these issues are difficult for phone designers so this might be the way that Fuji, and others, might keep in the camera business.
Not sure I totally agree... for certain types of wildlife the lens has sufficient reach. Like you, I wonder what the 'X-H2' might have as features to make us buy it. I still use my X-H1 in preference to my X-T3 for a lot of work, (hell, I use it in preference to my GFX50R!) except for wildlife where the BSI sensor of the X-T3 has the edge, often operating in the iso2000+ territory to capture action. What I do hope is that the X-H2 isn't video-centric to the exclusion of stills photography. Do many Fuji shooters actually buy the cameras for video work? I suspect many are still very much stills shooters given the retro-style dials. On that point, I also hope the X-H2 echoes the GFX100S and goes for a mode dial over a dedicated iso dial.

Either way, I've found a home in Fuji cameras which has largely been absent since I got tired of the multiple and regular own goals of the Leica system and left it nearly 10 years ago.

biglouis

Got the XF 200 last Wednesday and having sold a couple more items via eBay since then I decided to invest the money in an X-T4.

Got it yesterday and it is more than just an upgrade to the X-T3. I'm quite impressed as it feels more stable and solid in use than my X-T3.

I was planning on selling the X-T3 and keeping my X-H1 as a backup but the X-T4 feels so close to the X-H1, without the top display panel, of course, that I'm now tempted to keep the X-T3 instead as a second body. For my my work I have been using non-OIS lenses on the X-H1 and lenses with OIS on the X-T3, for obvious reasons. The X-T4 really seems to provide all the best features of the X-H1: deeper grip, quiet/softer shutter, IBIS etc and for the first time it has made me feel like the X-H1 is older technology. Can't quite pin down the reason why.

I'll almost certainly go for an X-H2 in the future, if it has enough stills features to tempt me but for now I think I'm going to say a reluctant goodbye to the X-H1 while I can still get a relatively good second hand price for it.

Just my Sunday morning thoughts.

Louis

biglouis

Got that, so what did you sell instead ... :giggle:
Well, the X-H1 is no more. Much as I like the X-H1 I like it more that it has paid for approximately 40% of the X-T4. And my X-T3 will now become my second camera on shoots where I need one (probably only a few more over the next year, or so). As far as all the other stuff I have sold to finance the XF 200, let's just say I won't be posting to the Mount Fuji Active thread anymore...

biglouis

These stellar results (especially colours and bokeh) make me lust for going back into Fuji with just that combo :)
I must have been one of the first people to notice the incredible drop in price - also $1900 in the US.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to lead anyone else astray with my inability to control myself with the offer on this lens. :)

LouisB

k-hawinkler

All in all, I think it was worth selling my left kidney for the XF 200/2. All taken with the X-T4.

View attachment 185228

View attachment 185229

View attachment 185230

The thing about the kidney is a joke, btw.
Great images indeed. Thanks.

I am looking at the XF 200 f2 with 1.4x TC as competing in a way with the older Olympus FT 150/2 SHG lens plus TCs, same 135 film equivalent focal length.

If I were invested in Fuji APS-C cameras - I am not and don’t plan to - this lens would have been at the top of my list. I am happy though with my choice of the Fuji GFX 50S and its many exceptional lenses, including the GF250 plus 1.4x TC. However for wildlife shots I rely on my Sony FF gear.