The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XQD or CF Express?

routlaw

Sorry have not been around in a long time or on any forum for that matter, but just to be clear with these CFexpress cards and appropriate reader one can actually download images from a Z7 onto an iPad, correct? This has frustrated me to no end while on location and not wanting to bring a laptop along, just an iPad for quick views. Have tried all sorts of chicanery and shenanigans to use the XQD cards and readers with an iPad all to no avail.

Thanks

tcdeveau

Sorry have not been around in a long time or on any forum for that matter, but just to be clear with these CFexpress cards and appropriate reader one can actually download images from a Z7 onto an iPad, correct? This has frustrated me to no end while on location and not wanting to bring a laptop along, just an iPad for quick views. Have tried all sorts of chicanery and shenanigans to use the XQD cards and readers with an iPad all to no avail.

Thanks
Which ipad do you have? I know the Z7 will plug directly into an iPad pro and there's no need for a card reader.

I have a Z6 and use the Snapbridge app to get photos wirelessly from the Z6 to my iphone, but never tried it with my 2020 iPad Air, and have only done so with JPEGS

routlaw

I have the iPad Pro, but it is an early model, forget what year exactly. I consistently have had extremely poor luck with snap bridge, gave up on it a long time ago due to the signal dropping out loosing connection. Not sure I have ever tried a USB-C to Lighting cable for a direct connection via camera. Might have to give that a whirl. Thanks

tcdeveau

I have the iPad Pro, but it is an early model, forget what year exactly. I consistently have had extremely poor luck with snap bridge, gave up on it a long time ago due to the signal dropping out loosing connection. Not sure I have ever tried a USB-C to Lighting cable for a direct connection via camera. Might have to give that a whirl. Thanks
Old ipad pro might be the issue if you have one with a lightning connector. You may need an ipad pro with usb-c (2018 and newer?) if you want to connect a camera or a card reader that's not SD. I didn't think ipads recognized external storage devices pre-2018 USB-C models, which could be why you're having issues if yours is an older one with lighting. AFAIK the lightning-to-SD card reader is the only way to get older iOS devices with lightning connectors to pull photos from cards, and then you're limited to SD.

You may need to have a camera with SD to use the lightning to SD card reader or may consider upgrading the ipad, but I am no expert.

routlaw

I have been using a Lightning to SD card reader with no issues what so ever. However even if I use a docking station (self powered) I can't get the iPad Pro to recognize the XQD card and reader which to my way of thinking should work since the docking station would also be powering the XQD card and reader. Not the case. Thanks

paladin

3of the 4 the bodies i have are XQD/CFexp compatible. that being said i have a few (7/64GB 1/128GB) XQD cards and (2) 64gb/128GB CFexpress around. as things progress and cards start to show there age (the XQD's are showing their robust abilities) they will be replaced by of course the next usable generation of cards. will i purchase a new XQD? highly unlikely ever again.

Godfrey

I think the issue downloading onto an iPad Pro is more likely what version of the operating system is installed than what generation iPad Pro it is. I have the first generation 12.x inch and the second generation 11 inch, and my Hasselblad 907x connects to either no problem at all, either WiFi or via a cable. Can't say anything about the Nikon or XQD, unfortunately, as all my cameras are SDxx nowadays.

G

paladin

my HP laptop is a much more appropriate device to work with. 13" screen along with multiple ports. i have a ipad pro too. i could work with it but its supported software not what i would refer to as usable. its a good tool for showing image, watching vids, reading email and news and working out routes on the maps i have installed. i have good multiport dongles for it and my laptop. i used to teach off of it but not really efficiently. with the laptop i run 3 full programs that interact with each other concurrently.

ACDFDEC_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Godfrey

Affinity Photo on an iPad Pro is very close to equivalent to everything I ever used in Photoshop on the Mac. (And they have a version that runs on macOS too.) :)
SnapSeed on the iPad Pro is also very very capable; so is Raw Power.

G

Last edited:

paladin

From my perspective I have been there and tried those. Between the ipads inability to truly multitask and the structuring of these programs I guess its more me being used to to my methods of getting to where I want to be.

Godfrey

Perfectly reasonable.

I use the iPad Pro to do quick work in the field, when portability and mobility are paramount, or when I'm traveling and want to post something while still traveling: it's not a situation where I need or want my full image processing and finishing workflow. My usual finishing workflow happens when I'm back at my desk, with all the benefits of a full, integrated system at my disposal. I just don't see a reason for carrying a laptop any more—the iPad Pro 11" does everything I need in a mobility situation, takes up much less space in my bag, lasts much longer on a charge, and weighs less. And at my desk, a desktop system without the small screen, battery management, and portability needs gives more capability for less money than a laptop, and outlasts a laptop easily.

All a matter of personal preferences, needs, and priorities... :)

G