The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XQD or CF Express?

Godfrey

I think the issue downloading onto an iPad Pro is more likely what version of the operating system is installed than what generation iPad Pro it is. I have the first generation 12.x inch and the second generation 11 inch, and my Hasselblad 907x connects to either no problem at all, either WiFi or via a cable. Can't say anything about the Nikon or XQD, unfortunately, as all my cameras are SDxx nowadays.

G

paladin

my HP laptop is a much more appropriate device to work with. 13" screen along with multiple ports. i have a ipad pro too. i could work with it but its supported software not what i would refer to as usable. its a good tool for showing image, watching vids, reading email and news and working out routes on the maps i have installed. i have good multiport dongles for it and my laptop. i used to teach off of it but not really efficiently. with the laptop i run 3 full programs that interact with each other concurrently.

ACDFDEC_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Godfrey

Affinity Photo on an iPad Pro is very close to equivalent to everything I ever used in Photoshop on the Mac. (And they have a version that runs on macOS too.) :)
SnapSeed on the iPad Pro is also very very capable; so is Raw Power.

G

Last edited:

paladin

From my perspective I have been there and tried those. Between the ipads inability to truly multitask and the structuring of these programs I guess its more me being used to to my methods of getting to where I want to be.

Godfrey

Perfectly reasonable.

I use the iPad Pro to do quick work in the field, when portability and mobility are paramount, or when I'm traveling and want to post something while still traveling: it's not a situation where I need or want my full image processing and finishing workflow. My usual finishing workflow happens when I'm back at my desk, with all the benefits of a full, integrated system at my disposal. I just don't see a reason for carrying a laptop any more—the iPad Pro 11" does everything I need in a mobility situation, takes up much less space in my bag, lasts much longer on a charge, and weighs less. And at my desk, a desktop system without the small screen, battery management, and portability needs gives more capability for less money than a laptop, and outlasts a laptop easily.

All a matter of personal preferences, needs, and priorities... :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am using this Prograde reader - it works for both CFexpress and XQD and has Thunderbolt3 connection. I never had a problem with it!

@Jack: I am fully aware of the fact that during the first year the Z cameras only supported XQD and this was one of the reasons I waited to enter the system till they supported also CFexpress. The issue with XQD is that only Sony makes these cards - which allows them to dictate prices and hence the cards were and are still very expensive. But CFexpress is meanwhile (after around 1 year of introduction) available from many card manufacturers and hence there is competition that brings prices down. Further CFexpress are much faster than XQD which is one of its biggest benefits.
BTW - just the same thing happens currently to CFexpress Type A - Sony is the only vendor producing these cards (at least there are not much more) and hence there is a monopoly again and these Type A cards are far too expensive. Maybe this will change as soon as others start production but maybe not many will follow - why do this just for Sony A1 ????

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Perfectly reasonable.

I use the iPad Pro to do quick work in the field, when portability and mobility are paramount, or when I'm traveling and want to post something while still traveling: it's not a situation where I need or want my full image processing and finishing workflow. My usual finishing workflow happens when I'm back at my desk, with all the benefits of a full, integrated system at my disposal. I just don't see a reason for carrying a laptop any more—the iPad Pro 11" does everything I need in a mobility situation, takes up much less space in my bag, lasts much longer on a charge, and weighs less. And at my desk, a desktop system without the small screen, battery management, and portability needs gives more capability for less money than a laptop, and outlasts a laptop easily.

All a matter of personal preferences, needs, and priorities... :)

G
Good said --- albeit I have not found a workflow that would even suit my "much lower" mobility needs.

Hence I thing something like am MacBook Air with M1 chip is still better and offers all these fancy workflow need even in the field :cool:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Dumb question, are the Nikon Z's with CFexpress compatibility compatible with either Type A or B? I can't recall this ever being mentioned anywhere.

paladin

as long as you have the updated firmware in it v2.20 onward.

i have that card and the dual CFexp B/XQD reader from Sony

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Just to follow up - the Tough card and the combo reader both seem to work great. I like that the reader has a standard USB-C port instead of requiring weird cables or adapters to use with my MacBook Pro. Just a simple USB-C to C cable is all that's needed.