The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favourite photographic book done by a medium format photographer?

Bugleone

The Making Of Landscape Photographs by Charlie Waite, 1992...ISBN 1 85585 069 9.

A wonderful set of descriptions, thoughts and techniques for the thinking photographer who desires to make landscape images. The many examples in this book (by one of the worlds leading exponents) were made with Hassleblad and 4 lenses on fuji filmstock and mainly use the square format unashamedly.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
The Making Of Landscape Photographs by Charlie Waite, 1992...ISBN 1 85585 069 9.

A wonderful set of descriptions, thoughts and techniques for the thinking photographer who desires to make landscape images. The many examples in this book (by one of the worlds leading exponents) were made with Hassleblad and 4 lenses on fuji filmstock and mainly use the square format unashamedly.
Charlie has such elegant and beautifully crafted imagery. We will be interviewing him in early 2021. Thank you for sharing.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
+1 for Michael Kenna's Japan. Love the simplicity of the images. Also nice: Michael Wolf - Works.
Michael Kenna is amazing! Your are right - simplicity of his images is truly striking and so unique. Michael Wolf - I have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

B L

My favourites are written by many talented authors/photographers. Hasselblad Forum magazines and later Victor Hasselblad magazines. Secondly Leica Fotografie International. Thirdly UK magazine Amateur Photographer's Victor Blackman and Dr Stewart Bell for lens tests.

Shashin

You mean except mine. ;)

Naoya Hatakeyama is a Japanese landscape photographer that works in medium-format film. Kasengawa is my favorite book from him, but it is not typical for his work (it is on the tsunami following the Fukushima Earthquake--his hometown was destroyed). I also enjoyed the followup book Rikuzentakata and a book he shot in Poland, Terrils. Lime Works was his first book. Aperture published a retrospective of his work called Excavating the Future City.

Mary Ellen Mark shot most of the film formats, with medium-format being the most common. I love her book Indian Circus.

Josef Koudelka's book Chaos was shoot with a 6x17 camera. One of the most creative body of 6x17 work I have ever seen.

The collection of Raghubir Singh's work in River of Color is remarkable. Shot with both 35mm and mdeium-format, it covers his entire career. I should look for some monographs by him.

Lifetimes Under Apartheid is a collection of work by the writer Nadine Gordimer and photographer David Goldblatt. The photography is MF.

Unfortunately, most photographic books are collections. They are beautiful, but the emphasis is on the photographer, rather than the contents or work. It is a pity the full-length photobook never came into its own.

Tim Floyd

All great books above.
On This Earth by Nick Brandt. Any book by Nick Brandt.
Another nice little book is Tibetan Portrait by Phil Borges.
Of course, Moonshots or any book with NASA photos.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
All great books above.
Fantastic choices Tim! Nick Brandt is amazing and his prints are truly spectacular. We may feature Nick again in the Magazine at one point.

darr

Oh Olaf a tough question to answer ... I favorite them all!! ❤
Okay, my favorite bc of artist AND location is ... EASTER ISLAND by Michael Kenna

My all time favorite photo book since publication is CERTAIN PLACES by William Cliff (large format) 🥰
Beautiful black & white photography is medicine for my soul.

Steve Hendrix

All great books above.
Ah, Tim, you took mine (Nick Brandt)!

In that case, I shall second it. Nick's work has evolved with more messaging related to his work with Big Life Foundation (Nick is a co-founder). But what caught my eye early on was the On This Earth/A Shadow Falls period. In stark contrast to how most African wildlife is presented, Nick's images evoked a completely different feel, as if they were glamorous studio portraits from the 1930s, full of atmosphere. He brought real artistry to the subject matter.

Separately, Here Far Away by Penti Sammallahti is another of my favorites.

https://www.lensculture.com/articles/pentti-sammallahti-here-far-away

Steve Hendrix/CI

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Oh Olaf a tough question to answer ... I favorite them all!! ❤
Okay, my favorite bc of artist AND location is ... EASTER ISLAND by Michael Kenna

My all time favorite photo book since publication is CERTAIN PLACES by William Cliff (large format) 🥰
Beautiful black & white photography is medicine for my soul.
It looks like Michael Kenna is on so many lists, including mine :) I have to check out William Cliff's book. Thank you for for sharing.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, Tim, you took mine (Nick Brandt)!

In that case, I shall second it. Nick's work has evolved with more messaging related to his work with Big Life Foundation (Nick is a co-founder). But what caught my eye early on was the On This Earth/A Shadow Falls period. In stark contrast to how most African wildlife is presented, Nick's images evoked a completely different feel, as if they were glamorous studio portraits from the 1930s, full of atmosphere. He brought real artistry to the subject matter.

Separately, Here Far Away by Penti Sammallahti is another of my favorites.

https://www.lensculture.com/articles/pentti-sammallahti-here-far-away

Steve Hendrix/CI
Indeed, Nick's photography and his projects are done with unbelievable artistry and huge commitment. I could sense it all over the place when I was interviewing Nick. Here is what he said about his foundation.

With Richard Bonham, you founded Big Life Foundation. Could you please tell us more about it?

I’d first like to mention this: Obviously, there is little hope to be found in the photos –that’s too hard to get across. The hope has to come from what I talk about and write about subsequently. I always point out that it is better to be angry and active than angry and passive.

This is why I started my own Foundation, Big Life Foundation, in East Africa. That was in 2010, in Amboseli/Tsavo/Kilimanjaro ecosystem of Kenya and Tanzania, after seeing so many elephants being killed by poachers and so few organizations on the ground there to stop it. Cut forward 10 years, and now Big Life’s 300+ rangers protect around 1.6 million acres of land there, resulting in a dramatic reduction in poaching and other killing of animals in the region. In fact, it’s one of the few places in Africa where the populations of elephants, lion, giraffe, cheetah and other animals are actually on the increase, so there is hope. But you have to work hard for it and be very well organized.
and work by Pentti Sammallahti is divine! What mastery of the frame!!!