The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z 28 and 40

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the 28 and 40 are soon to be announced -- I will most likely pre-order both...
>They are not S lenses, check, I am okay with that as I expect performance to be more than "adequate" based on what Z lenses have produced so far.
>They have plastic mounts, check, I am mildly suspect of that but really don't care for my uses. Moreover, I assume it means a correspondingly relative Z price...

Pic grab from net:

Last edited:

RobbieAB

The 40 has been on my wish list since I saw the initial roadmap with it!

It looks like it is matching my assumption of being a candidate for “cheap and cheerful prime”, and I am hoping to get one quickly.

KeithL

My S lenses deliver build quality, speed, resolution and correction aplenty in a somewhat large form. This 40 lens - now on order - will hopefully deliver the degree of 'character' and speed that I've been hoping for in a compact form. Could be my street machine, fingers crossed...

KeithL

My initial shots suggest the 40mm is very sharp when stopped down to F/4 to F/8, best at f/5.6. Softer when shot at f2 at very close distances, but I wouldn't expect anything else. The bokeh is good with little in the way of onion rings in focus balls. Some CA when shot wide open but easily corrected in ACR. Lens size on my Z7 bodies delivers a compact lightweight camera similar to my dearly departed Leica M240 bodies with grips and Summilux 35.

In short, much as I was hoping for and expecting, perfect little walk around camera for street work. Very pleased.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just ordered that 40 :)

KeithL - feel guilty for driving me that direction :cool: ;):)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't expect it to be stellar, but am looking forward to it being pleasing both in use and to what it can produce.

KeithL

This review might be of interest. Generally very positive, and Richard is such a civilised reviewer:

Thanks for linking to that review, I agree with much he has said.

At last, Nikon has delivered compact full frame Z lenses for their compact full frame Z bodies: what on earth took them so long?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 40 just arrived, so did a super quick handful of grabs of things close by. My initial impressions are quite positive -- no way this lens is going back :D

I specifically took this shot to test close-focus capability wide open as some are reporting "poor" performance from their copies of this lens in that situation. While the image certainly isn't as good as one at f4 at this same close distance, to my eyes it remains more than usably sharp and pleasantly rendered -- I'm certainly satisfied with it.

The gnome is about 9" or 20cm tall and the camera is pretty close, framing via rear lcd using AF wide-people. I did some light vignette in post to suit the crop and high-contrast lighting, but nothing other than normal capture sharpening has been applied.

More to come hopefully tomorrow as I have more time to play with it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Took it for a walk today under heavy overcast. Shot a lot using the rear LCD to frame which is not something I normally do, but for whatever reason this lens encourages it. I like this lens -- a lot. It's not the sharpest lens in my bag, but it sure is fun to use and I like the way it renders. It is also a near perfect "walk around" focal for the way I see. I am (very) close to convincing myself to dedicate a Z6ii body to it! :eek: Have a couple family vacations coming up and plan to use this lens almost exclusively. If the 28 performs on par with this 40, they will be a winning compact duo.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guys as much as I would love to have a lens with the size and weight of the new Z40/2 ...I can not get excited about the proof of performance photographs . I look immediately at the solid colors to see tone separation as an indication of micro contrast . The pumpkin for example looks monotone ..little if any tone separation ...same for the white hiighligts on the bones .

This is the attribute that gives the images that 3D effect and its often overlooked in evaluating image quality .

What do you think AM I all wet or do you see the same things .

Jack if you take that same picture with your 105/1.4 I bet you will see a difference .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't disagree on the pumpkin Roger, but it's most likely a combined function of using the lens at f2 plus the fact the lighting is very flat today with a heavy overcast also limiting highlights. The pumpkin is also in the shadow of the house, so that's just overhead overcast providing the highlight. Both skeletons are in full shade under bushes in a front garden. If you look at the narrow but in-focus portions of the dirt in the two skeleton shots, I think you'll see more of the micro-contrast you want, still at f2 but a few feet further away than the pumpkin where the lens also starts to perform better.

Here's a simple street grab that underscores the flatness of the light I was shooting in, but it is at f8 and focus is about 1/3rd the way down the street so most of the frame other than closest to the camera is in decent focus. I processed this from raw in C1, but left it essentially at all my normal SOOC initial settings. Aside from the flat light still pretty significantly limiting both global and micro contrast, I think it hints toward what this lens can produce under more normal taking conditions. Obviously it's significantly downsized as this is the full frame, but I feel even then it still shows decent delineation in the tree and shrub leaves, building siding and brickwork, as well as in the grass. I remain quite satisfied overall for *my* needs, but respect YMMV ;)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For thread posterity, here is one of the first frames I grabbed yesterday -- handheld, but at f4 and in filtered sunlight, so likely is a better overall image to judge micro-contrast performance. Again, basically SOOC processing showing full frame and 100% crop. Granted, it's no Z 50 /1.8S lens, but I still find it pretty darn good --and frankly impressive-- for what it is and what it costs. (And not half-bad bokeh either LOL!):

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Took this lens and my 24-200 on a short family vacation to Maui. Obviously a really easy kit to carry and both lenses did everything I expected. I came away really liking the 40, and feel the 24-200 is quite good in the 24-150 range but shows some weakness at 200mm. In my case, I may replace it with the 24-120 when it comes out, but for now this lens does what I need it to do and in a compact package.

I realize these are nothing special, just a variety of typical vacation grab shots to hopefully show how the lens performs in that situation. Processed from raws as shot SOOC in C1, exif shown on images -- and I'll put the 24-200 images in its own thread.

A string from the 40:

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Absolutely like these shots Jack.

I also own the 40 and need to force myself to use it more often. I shot the 24-70/4 on a recent family vacation and was very happy with the results. Was carrying the 40 as well but almost never used it. Maybe I am more a zoom guy anyway.

But I think the 24-120/4 might be the best allrounder standard what else lens for the Z system as well and I may try it as soon as it becomes available.

Take care!

rayyan

i can only assume the small 28, 40 mm lenses might be fit for purpose...whatever that purpose for a user might be.
however, i find it strange that folks with Z6,7,9 etc. now are interested in compact z lenses. or is it S lenses?

i bought the z6 to use with 1.8 S and f4 S lenses. in my use case i find the additional 35,50,85 1.8 s more than adequate for my needs.
i might add the 24-120 S n call it a day.

if i want compact lenses, or lighter bodies......i can share a not well kept secret. Shhhh...Fujifilm makes excellent cams n stellar lenses.
and compact too! i have some experience with them. But never got to Hawaii with the fuji 14/2.8 or 50/2.

of course, i realize other people's needs n wants might be very different than mine. To each their own.

Nikon is deservedly on roll. I wish all of us enjoy the ride.

Kindest regards n may we all joy our camera equipments.

Last edited: