The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z 50mm 1.2s and 14-24mm 2.8s Rumored Announcement Next Week

tcdeveau

Nikon 50mm 1.2s and 14-24mm 2.8s lenses are rumored to be announced next week:

Hopefully the shipping times will be reasonable (considering the circumstances) and we won't see the delays we've seen with the 70-200mm 2.8s, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm somewhat excited about the 50mm 1.2, depending on price and samples etc etc etc. The note in the article about focus breathing does draw some concern, especially since I'd expect the lens to be pretty darn near perfect considering the size. Probably not a huge issue for stills but who knows. I need a 50mm and an 85mm, and I've debating whether or not to go for the 1.8 variants, get the 50mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.8, or...something else (R6/50/85mm 1.2 RF or A9II and 85mm 1.4).

At the end of the day I'm just glad to see Nikon expanding the Z lineup. Hopefully they've got a faster 85mm coming up, and a Z body with a proper battery grip with controls. I really like the Z-system but it's not quite developed to the point I want/need yet.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 24-70/2.8 is insanely good. I am certain the 70-200 will be equally so. I am of two thoughts on the 14-24; I already own the 14-30/4 and for what I need in an UW zoom, it's pretty impressive and good enough I don't feel the need for any primes below 24, and at the same time it's relatively affordable and also compact so does not bother much in the bag or sitting there used only occasionally... Of course if the 14-24/2.8 is as stellar as the 24-70 it would likely find a way into my stable pretty quickly -- however I do not really expect it could be "as good as" the 24-70, nor is it likely to be what I consider reasonably-priced ;)

KeithL

I am in the market for a super fast lens for use on my Z cameras. I have the 50 and 85 1.8 S lenses but I'm looking for something faster as an addition.

I'll be interested in what the 50 1.2 S delivers but have real doubts about the heft, girth and price given that my need is not for superb image quality in all situations. My need is essentially for a lens with very shallow DOF and attractive bokeh.

Two other lenses I'm considering are the TTArtisans 50mm 0.95 and the Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 ASPH Nokton, both in Leica M fit - already have the adaptor. Anyone else here using or considering these lenses or the 50 1.2 when it becomes available or indeed alternatives?

tcdeveau

I am in the market for a super fast lens for use on my Z cameras. I have the 50 and 85 1.8 S lenses but I'm looking for something faster as an addition.

I'll be interested in what the 50 1.2 S delivers but have real doubts about the heft, girth and price given that my need is not for superb image quality in all situations. My need is essentially for a lens with very shallow DOF and attractive bokeh.

Two other lenses I'm considering are the TTArtisans 50mm 0.95 and the Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 ASPH Nokton, both in Leica M fit - already have the adaptor. Anyone else here using or considering these lenses or the 50 1.2 when it becomes available or indeed alternatives?
I'm planning on ordering the 50mm 1.2 when it's available...hopefully we'll be able to place orders around midnight my time zone tonight. Will also take the plunge on the 70-200, although I have no idea when either will ship :( I've been trying to look for an 85mm 1.8s as well but they're all backordered in the US at the moment.

I have my brother's Leica 50mm 0.95 noctilux on loan right now which I've used with the Z6 some, although I'm currently using it on the M10 Monochrom. It does what you'd expect to, although the close focus distance of 1 meter is not as close as I'd like, and it exhibits color fringing in the highlights wide open.

Aside from the lack of autofocus on the Z6, my biggest issue with the adapted M-mount lenses is the lack of electronic connection with the lens. On the Leicas, a turn of the focus ring can automatically magnify focus in view view, whereas on the Z6 you have to press the magnify button and then focus. It's a minor annoyance. I'll see what the full specs of the 50mm 1.2 are, but it will be a better fit for me at the moment than adapted fast M-mount lenses with AF (eye-AF in particular), despite the additional bulk.

KeithL

I expected the 50 1.2 S was going to be large and heavy but it has managed to exceed even those expectations.

Those specs have saved me a lot of money!

Photon42

Yep. I always look at fast lenses, but this 50 seems hard to swallow size and weight-wise. I may try one in a shop, when it is out. This thing is half as heavy as the Noct but same length.
Still have my trusty F 1.4/58, which I really like and it looks like it stays. Of course the new one will be miles ahead in IQ, but I am not sure I want to put up with the handling downsides. I remember the moment I tried the Leica 1.4/50 on an SL at a Leica stand. Slow, large, heavy, expensive, superb image quality. I felt it was to strongly optimised in one direction.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Both these lenses look extraordinarily good and will get added to my Z lineup over time for sure!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Size and weight do not seem to be in the consideration mix when going for fast and high performance. Likely counter design propositions, and we see it if we look at other manufacturers premium lines like the Sigma ART, Zeiss OUTUS, and even the faster lenses in the Canon RF line are not what one would consider svelte.

KeithL

Now that the Nikon has been eliminated I'll almost certainly go for the Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 ASPH Nokton, at some point.

Photon42

Leica M lenses are comparably small and of high quality. For me the new 50 1.2 is probably to large.

tcdeveau

Put in an order for the 50mm 1.2 but held off on the 70-200 for now. Supposed to ship in December but I'm not going to put money on that. The Leica M lenses are definitely nice and compact, but AF is a main consideration for me on the Z6. The 14-24 looks nice too.

Photon42

I guess I am just a bit frustrated the 50 1.2 is sooo large. I may end up buying it anyway at some point 😂😳 It just feels for me this is at least as much a statement lens, which is supposed to be almost flawless, optically.

The 14-24 looks very good and seems to have an innovative solution for attaching front filters in the lens hood as well as at the back of the lens. It also seems to be relatively compact for its expected optical performance.