The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z6II and Z7II Announcement Coming 10/14

tcdeveau

Nikon USA just posted a countdown for the Z6II and Z7II:

Rumored specs here:

I’m excited. I’ve said before I really like the Z system but it’s not quite where I want/need. The Z6 and Z7 were great as their first efforts for mirrorless, but I felt in some ways it was a “gen 1” camera.

New models are rumored to have updated processor, updated AF, and a proper battery grip with camera controls....there’s also dual card slots for those that care about that kind of thing

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I see these incremental improvements as movement in the right direction, and hats off to Nikon for implementing them. Nothing wrong with the existing sensors to my thinking, but the improved AF, dual card slots, enhanced processing and a usable grip are nice upgrades for those that want or need them. Personally speaking for me though, they alone are probably not enough to make me jump as my needs are currently being nicely met with the Z7.

I suspect we'll see a Z8 (36MP?) and Z9 (60MP?) announcement by this time next year, assuming Nikon is still in the mirrorless camera business --- and then I will probably be among the early adopters of the Z9 regardless :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I see these incremental improvements as movement in the right direction, and hats off to Nikon for implementing them. Nothing wrong with the existing sensors to my thinking, but the improved AF, dual card slots, enhanced processing and a usable grip are nice upgrades for those that want or need them. Personally speaking for me though, they alone are probably not enough to make me jump as my needs are currently being nicely met with the Z7.

I suspect we'll see a Z8 (36MP?) and Z9 (60MP?) announcement by this time next year, assuming Nikon is still in the mirrorless camera business --- and then I will probably be among the early adopters of the Z9 regardless :)
Could not have said it better!

I love my Z7 and it is more than enough for what I need and want. So better use that money to buy the 2.8/70-200S and the TC2.0 and even maybe the 2.8/14-24S as my next investments for my Z system.

And then wait for the Z9 coming next year 👍👍👍

tcdeveau

The Z8 and Z9 (or whatever the next gen cams will be called) are a good point - I do wish those were being announced instead of the Z6II and Z7II since they'll probably soon follow the Z6II/Z7II. Improved processing/AF/battery grip with controls might be enough for me to upgrade the Z6 to Z6II. I'll wait for the announcement though to decide whether to pull the trigger on the Z6II or wait a year or more for a Z8 or whatever. The Z6 sensor is still serving me well but I wouldn't mind a bump in resolution at the Z6 price point, in addition to things the Z6II is supposed to bring to the table.

More concerned about building my lens stable than cameras right now, and can always pick up a Z6II/Z7II/Z8/Z9 in a few years down the line if I want/need....so it might make more sense to hold off on the upgrade and get more lenses instead.

I have the 50 1.2 on order, and I'll pick up a 70-200 2.8s next year when I can find one in stock somewhere. Might be pulling the trigger on the 85 1.8 later in the week, although I'm still annoyed they don't have a 1.4 or faster 85mm. First world problems, I know.

Nice to see Nikon making progress with their system though! I really like the Z system and am routing for them.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
tc, for whatever it’s worth I find similar smoothness from the 85S lens to that of the 1.4G, but then the S has the new line clarity. I don’t think you’re going to miss the half stop ;)

tcdeveau

tc, for whatever it’s worth I find similar smoothness from the 85S lens to that of the 1.4G, but then the S has the new line clarity. I don’t think you’re going to miss the half stop ;)
Thanks Jack, that was the nudge I needed I think...85 1.8s should arrive tomorrow

tcdeveau

(y)

Be sure to let us know what you think of it!
Received it today and you are probably right, I don't think I'll miss the extra stop.

I'm honestly shocked at the build quality in the best way. I was expecting just a hunk of plastic, but the metal focus ring has a great feel to it. It's also smaller and more compact than I was expecting.

Image quality wise seems sharp as heck wide open and I'm not seeing any noticeable aberration in the highlights on the back of the camera @f1.8. Seems to focus pretty fast too. Color me impressed.

Unfortunately, it was kind of loose in the box when I pulled it out (it was rolling around and not secure), and the lens cap was smashed on and not on properly. Took a bit of force to remove it. I notice some grinding/vibrations in AF-C mode as well. I ordered through BH and tried to reach out to them today but their closed until 10/12 for a religious holiday. Will reach out when they reopen and do an exchange I think, unless anyone out there thinks this vibration/grinding is normal. The only other lens I have for the Z is the 24-70 2.8S which doesn't exhibit that behavior.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh bummer on the poor packaging! Glad it works well enough you could see results you like. But the grinding and rattling are not normal, should be near silent and smooth, just like the 24-70.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Looking at the Z7 II's accessory grip, I'm definitely passing. It's just too clunky. I'd greatly prefer to see a vertical grip of the same dimensions as the built-in one. It doesn't really need to hold spare batteries; it's not like it takes many seconds to replace a battery when it gets low.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looking at the Z7 II's accessory grip, I'm definitely passing. It's just too clunky. I'd greatly prefer to see a vertical grip of the same dimensions as the built-in one. It doesn't really need to hold spare batteries; it's not like it takes many seconds to replace a battery when it gets low.
Try to hot swap a battery if there's only one. Yes, some people do shoot video.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Try to hot swap a battery if there's only one. Yes, some people do shoot video.
I've never had a need a to hot swap a battery, ever. Not once. To me that's not of any use whatsoever.

That doesn't mean it's of no use to someone else, just not to me. Since the grip is so clunky, apparently to support features I don't need, it's not attractive either. Which means the only potentially interesting improvement in the camera is uninteresting to me. So, again to me, it's a giant nothingburger.

Paul2660

Received it today and you are probably right, I don't think I'll miss the extra stop.

I'm honestly shocked at the build quality in the best way. I was expecting just a hunk of plastic, but the metal focus ring has a great feel to it. It's also smaller and more compact than I was expecting.

Image quality wise seems sharp as heck wide open and I'm not seeing any noticeable aberration in the highlights on the back of the camera @f1.8. Seems to focus pretty fast too. Color me impressed.

Unfortunately, it was kind of loose in the box when I pulled it out (it was rolling around and not secure), and the lens cap was smashed on and not on properly. Took a bit of force to remove it. I notice some grinding/vibrations in AF-C mode as well. I ordered through BH and tried to reach out to them today but their closed until 10/12 for a religious holiday. Will reach out when they reopen and do an exchange I think, unless anyone out there thinks this vibration/grinding is normal. The only other lens I have for the Z is the 24-70 2.8S which doesn't exhibit that behavior.
B&H, IMO has really lost it with shipping. I would for sure call them and send back and ask for another. They just drop the boxes in a larger box, and then put a few strips of the large air bladder packing now. Problems is most times during shipping the boxes will pop these few pieces of plastic and allow movement.

In the past year I have had problems with several shipments. My Z7 was very poorly packed and returned, my latest G raid was just dropped in a box loose with one strip of packing, returned and the new one was shipped about the same.

Sad to see this from B&H. But it seems to be a trend with them.

Paul C

Paul2660

As for the Announcement, I am not going to purchase the Z7II, like the Z7 fine. I am disappointed that Nikon could not make the vertical grip fit the older Z7. That should have been very easy to do if not bad front end design of the Z7. V grip on that camera is important for the larger glass.

No need for the faster processors, would like the dual slots, but no enough to switch. If the image quality was greatly improved, i.e. noise DR, etc. might have considered it but from what I have read it's the same.

Paul C

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Paul2660 -- exactly my sentiments.

I was thinking of snagging somebody's sell-off Z7 at a bargain, but not sure I feel the need. I then thought, gee maybe pick up a used Z6 cheap for it's better low light capability, but then I've not yet been limited on that yet with the Z7. So happily I sit and await the Z9 :)

SrMphoto

@ Paul2660 -- exactly my sentiments.

I was thinking of snagging somebody's sell-off Z7 at a bargain, but not sure I feel the need. I then thought, gee maybe pick up a used Z6 cheap for it's better low light capability, but then I've not yet been limited on that yet with the Z7. So happily I sit and await the Z9 :)
I do not think there is much difference in low-light capabilities between Z 7 and Z 6 (looking at same-sized output). The main difference is apparently that Z 6 is better for video.

SrMphoto

I am hoping that the Z 7II will have AF-C focus confirmation and an AF-performance equal to D850. Illuminated buttons would be nice as well.
I will buy Z 7II, though I am annoyed that we have another type of batteries (EN-EL15C). I am not missing a better body as much as more lenses.