The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z9

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Finally they make it - hopefully!

I have been waiting for a Z9 or Z8 since the introduction of the Z mount and while meanwhile happy with my Z7 I am looking forward to this Z9.

Ticks all the bells with me - stacked sensor most likely very similar to the Sony A1, I guess much improved AF like Sony, top IQ with excellent DR, fast, large battery that you can shoot obviously hours of 4K video and thousands of photos, highly improved EVF over the already superb EVF in the Z7, etc.

And still reasonably small.

Looking forward to all the naysayers especially on Youtube who jumped on Sony and Canon finally swarming back to Nikon - Tony N. just listen ;)

Is high on my list for my camera for the next 5-6 years.

PS: meanwhile I have to complete my Z lens lineup :cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thankfully it's likely to have way too much heft and girth for my applications!
If the above chart is correct, it will be considerably smaller than the E-M1X, which again is much smaller than the D6. My guess is volume and weight similar to a D850 without the grip, but a different, more ergonomic shape.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
WRT size of the Pro Nikon bodies - I shot myself D2X and D3 for many years and the size of these bodies never was any negative for me. I assume that the Z9 will considerably smaller than any of the Pro Nikon DSLR bodies, especially not as thick and bulky. But what you gain is a battery that lasts forever, even in heavy shooting conditions.

My feeling and all my experience with former Nikon Pro bodies just tells me that if you add a larger S lens as a 2.8/70-200 or a 100-400 or 200-600 to the Z9 it will just be the right balance.

And for smaller body - I can keep my Z7 just for casual shooting.

What will have to go before all that is finally my trusted -but meanwhile really outdated Olympus m43 system ....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If it's at least 45MP, I want one. Don't really need it, but will want it. Of course by the time this comes out, my Z7's will be worthless, so selling them will pay for maybe a few extra batteries and cards... :cry:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If it's at least 45MP, I want one. Don't really need it, but will want it. Of course by the time this comes out, my Z7's will be worthless, so selling them will pay for maybe a few extra batteries and cards... :cry:
To shoot 8K video, it must be at least 43MP in 3:2.

tcdeveau

I'm definitely interested. I have been wanting something with improved AF, high resolution, and high FPS count....and a bigger body to balance the lens size/weight (like the 50 1.2 and 70-200 2.8). Something fast enough to get action shots of my toddlers with enough muster for large landscape prints as well. If they deliver on the rumored specs, this could be the swiss army camera I've been waiting for. Neat to see manufacturers being able to deliver cameras these days with spec lists I thought would be impossible 2-3 years ago.

I imagine the sensor will be based on the Sony A1 sensor. If that's true, that'd be excellent.

I'm not a doom and gloom person, but I had been waiting for this announcement before pulling the trigger on a 70-200 2.8, so I guess in the short term I'll be after a 70-200.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm definitely interested. I have been wanting something with improved AF, high resolution, and high FPS count....and a bigger body to balance the lens size/weight (like the 50 1.2 and 70-200 2.8). Something fast enough to get action shots of my toddlers with enough muster for large landscape prints as well. If they deliver on the rumored specs, this could be the swiss army camera I've been waiting for. Neat to see manufacturers being able to deliver cameras these days with spec lists I thought would be impossible 2-3 years ago.

I imagine the sensor will be based on the Sony A1 sensor. If that's true, that'd be excellent.

I'm not a doom and gloom person, but I had been waiting for this announcement before pulling the trigger on a 70-200 2.8, so I guess in the short term I'll be after a 70-200.
Kind of similar for me - I will probably pull the trigger on the S 2.8 70-200 and the 1.2 50 during this year, before I will buy the Z9 - or sit and wait for the Z8 which in my gets will be pretty much the same but without the integrated grip, smaller and not as fast.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I did not know that, so for me even though I do not shoot video, that is great news!
There are actually two 8K resolutions, like with 4K, 8K UHD that is 7,680 pixels wide, requiring that a 3:2 sensor is around 40MP, and Cinema 8K which is 8,192 pixels wide, giving a 3:2 sensor that is 45MP. I suppose the Sony sensor used in the A1 is 50MP to be able to cover all possible 8K standards and then some.

tcdeveau

Kind of similar for me - I will probably pull the trigger on the S 2.8 70-200 and the 1.2 50 during this year, before I will buy the Z9 - or sit and wait for the Z8 which in my gets will be pretty much the same but without the integrated grip, smaller and not as fast.
FWIW I can definitely say from my experience with the 50mm 1.2 it could benefit from a larger body and will balance better with a grip IMHO....either way you could go ahead and grab the lenses and make a decision on the body later

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The vertical grip looks great, I really miss that on the Z7 for vertical handheld shooting. 45MP works for me. I like how the shutter release is tilted down a bit, which should improve ergonomics slightly. Reduced or eliminated blackout and stutter would be a big win at higher shooting speeds, if it can do 10 fps without stutter or blackout, while competently tracking on AF-C that would be great as well. With those changes, for my needs, I see no remaining downsides. Other than perhaps feeling compelled to switch to CFE for my Z7 as well. The Z7 should be a perfect little easily package backup for it, or a second body with a wide angle or something. The form factor looks AWESOME!

jduncan

Hi,
Let see what happens. It appears to be created for a bygone or almost gone epoch. Nikon appears to be targeting the past: The new lenses like the 50mm f1.2 appears to mimic "old" sigma art lenses, in terms of design and size. And now this camera looks retro but it will probably perform in pretty modern way.

I hope Nikon delivers. The competency will be the A1 $6498 and the next Canon. If Nikon can hit close to the A1 in terms of performance, and they can introduce a more complete series of lenses the only weak point could be the size (I know what we old dudes believe about size, but Nikon needs new costumers).

They need to deliver on this one because the narratives about Nikon demise (as overstated as the may be) influence the prurchases: nobody rational is going to invest in a 10K
system that is about to die. People are making money of the clickbait headlines "Nikon is dead"

Crossing fingers, maybe afer this one a smaller D850 type will appear, or maybe this is going to be two cameras in one.

Love seen Nikon fight back.

jduncan

The vertical grip looks great, I really miss that on the Z7 for vertical handheld shooting. 45MP works for me. I like how the shutter release is tilted down a bit, which should improve ergonomics slightly. Reduced or eliminated blackout and stutter would be a big win at higher shooting speeds, if it can do 10 fps without stutter or blackout, while competently tracking on AF-C that would be great as well. With those changes, for my needs, I see no remaining downsides. Other than perhaps feeling compelled to switch to CFE for my Z7 as well. The Z7 should be a perfect little easily package backup for it, or a second body with a wide angle or something. The form factor looks AWESOME!

Hi,
Maybe, but mainstream is no longer going in the "Big is better" direction any longer . Travel is more complicated each day, having a practical system that one can fill in a bag is important. The 50mm 1.2 was designed, apparently, with the old Sigma art series in mind. If we add a super heavy duty body to it, for most people it will be too much for most people.

Of course this camera is not for most photographers.
I hope Nikon does not take long, if the camera performs, introducing an Z8 that can help them recover a little bit of market share.

Decided the add a link to illustrate the point. He used to buy the big bodies, but they don't appeal to him any longer. Something akin to a D850 sizewise could be a winner.
A Z8?

Underscore: I understand your point, and I believe you are right, but I believe that is no longer as important for most photographers.
Best regards,

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi,
Maybe, but mainstream is no longer going in the "Big is better" direction any longer . Travel is more complicated each day, having a practical system that one can fill in a bag is important. The 50mm 1.2 was designed, apparently, with the old Sigma art series in mind. If we add a super heavy duty body to it, for most people it will be too much for most people.

Of course this camera is not for most photographers.
I hope Nikon does not take long, if the camera performs, introducing an Z8 that can help them recover a little bit of market share.

Decided the add a link to illustrate the point. He used to buy the big bodies, but they don't appeal to him any longer. Something akin to a D850 sizewise could be a winner.
A Z8?

Underscore: I understand your point, and I believe you are right, but I believe that is no longer as important for most photographers.
Best regards,
It's an unfortunate fact that reviews to a large degrees have been replaced by clickbait heroes who compete with each other in presenting the most sensational views. The Z9 is probably considerably smaller than a D6, and probably also smaller and lighter than a Sony A1 with grip. The A1 with the grip is well over a kilogram with two batteries, which is more than a Nikon D850 without a grip (but still superior battery life).

What Nikon seems to offer here is a camera that is more or less on par with the Sony, but with vastly improved ergonomics. Hopefully photographers are still able to use their brains to understand that. As for travel, it's not only problematic, it's becoming more or less non-existent. An increasing number of companies plan for a future with minimum travel. Then the size of the camera doesn't matter much.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's an intelligent, balanced view. Matt Irwin is a Nikon user, some may even call him a fanboy, but he's very down to earth and straightforward here:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Meanwhile the Youtube landscape WRT Camera reviews became really clickbait! This is unfortunate. And also unfortunate - and yes I have to say this being fully aware that I am old - is that a lot of young so called photographers - actually they call themselves content creators - make tons of useless videos that mostly contribute to this wrong mind washing publications and direction. This is the time we live in and since we cannot change that we only can accept it and have to live with it.

That changes nothing on the facts that a Pro style body has many advantages in the pro world and also for serious enthusiasts. You cannot have the cake and eat it. Screwing grips or L-brackets on small camera bodies in order to be able to use them in a save and secure and optimal way is the one side, but the better IMO is to have a camera like the Z9 will become in order to survive most shooting environments. Also for the Olympus EM1X this was the same - it is an excellent body and perfect to handle and sure it is larger than a normal Olympus EM1.xyz cam but it is also so much better in handling. For m43 definitely a bit big but if you are into serious shooting with especially longer lenses it is just perfect.

Hence I applaud Nikon to have the balls and go with that Z9 design. And I do hope that finally some Clickbait YouTubers - lets call them CYT's from now on will jump on that bandwagon and start understanding (again) the benefits of a bigger and pure professional body. And if you add a handgrip to say the Sony A1, then I think it is even larger and bulkier than the Z9 will be.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I did an experiment. I made the command dials the same size as on the D6, and placed the Z9 on top of the D6 (Z9 yellow in front, D6 black in the background). If this is reality, it's bigger than I had expected.