The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z9

tcdeveau

They’ve got a live countdown up, less than 24 hours now:

What is rumored to be announced and available for order:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Swissblad

Just watched the live stream launch event - I'm more than impressed - now I just need to convince my finance minister - that we really need one!!!

iiiNelson

Looks like a great offering. I personally would lie a mechanical shutter for confidence in tricky lighting but no huge faults with this camera.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Z9 is prerdered along with an extra battery at $220 :eek: LOL!

I was also hovering over the 100-400, but given it's an f4-f5.6 and I have the 70-200/2.8 and both converters, I've decided to wait and see how much better optically it is at 400mm than the 70-200 plus 2x. If it's as good as the 70-200 without converters, it will be a no brainer; if it's as good as the 70-200 with the 1.4x it remains interesting; if it's about the same as the 70-200 with 2x then, it falls down to the "meh" category for me. I already --still-- have a good copy of the 200-500 so my needs are not urgent. In fact I'd really prefer something like the 180-400/1.4x or a 600 PF in Z mount, but those may not happen for years, or even ever...

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Whelp I did a 180 on my "no early adopter" stance after seeing the price and got an order in....at least to get a place in line. Not sure when it's supposed to ship but I'm expecting to wait awhile and can always cancel if I change my mind. I imagine I'll see it Q1 2022.

Lack of a mechanical shutter is quite the curveball. I'm curious to see how that goes.

The Z6 AF is driving me crazy, and I'm getting lots of misses with my fast moving (and sometimes static) subjects regardless of how I dial it in, so I hope the Z9 AF is all it's cracked up to be.

tcdeveau

I was also hovering over the 100-400, but given it's an f4-f5.6 and I have the 70-200/2.8 and both converters, I've decided to wait and see how much better optically it is at 400mm than the 70-200 plus 2x. If it's as good as the 70-200 without converters, it will be a no brainer; if it's as good as the 70-200 with the 1.4x it remains interesting; if it's about the same as the 70-200 with 2x then, it falls down to the "meh" category for me. I already --still-- have a good copy of the 200-500 so my needs are not urgent. In fact I'd really prefer something like the 180-400/1.4x or a 600 PF in Z mount, but those may not happen for years, or even ever...
Good call on the extra battery! I forgot about that and just ordered. $220 definitely isn't cheap but buying into Leica has somewhat desensitized me to battery prices haha. The M10M batteries are $200 and much lower capacity than the Z9 ones.

The 100-400 looks pretty interesting but it's a hard sell for me over the 70-200 2.8S and TCs. I'd also prefer a Z-mount 180-400/1.4x and will probably hold out for something like that.

Swissblad

Whelp I did a 180 on my "no early adopter" stance after seeing the price and got an order in....at least to get a place in line. Not sure when it's supposed to ship but I'm expecting to wait awhile and can always cancel if I change my mind. I imagine I'll see it Q1 2022.
Have fun guys.....!:cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just heard there's a Z 400/2.8 S with built-in 1.4x announced -- YEAH! Not yet available to pre-order, but there's my long glass answer. I also added an FTZii because there's some talk the old FTZ won't fit on the Z9 -- not confirmed either way though...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
All ordered ..waiting on that 400/2.8 S with 1.4X . Anyone have advice on getting an NPS number ???(serious question ) .

Darin Marcus

I am going to sit this one out (Z9 & new lenses).

Though I am a bit intrigued by that 26mm FX added to the roadmap - based on its shape it looks like a pancake (can't be a pinhole, can it??). It appears similar smaller in size to than the Z50 kit lens (collapsed). Would be ~40mm on a DX camera.

In any case, I hope you all don't have to wait too long to get your preordered cameras/lenses, and I am looking forward to your photos and comments.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have advice on getting an NPS number ???(serious question ) .
You have enough equipment already for sure so no problem there. But for me the nit was you have to have a website that lists your services and costs as well as shows samples of your work -- GetDPI albums and links to the workshops did not cut it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Though I am a bit intrigued by that 26mm FX added to the roadmap - based on its shape it looks like a pancake (can't be a pinhole, can it??).
I figured it was a typo and most likely supposed to be a 16mm??? But what do I know. A twener f1.2 lens at 26mm could make some sense as it bridges 24 and 28, but judging by it's size it's not likely an f1.2 lens...

tcdeveau

All ordered ..waiting on that 400/2.8 S with 1.4X . Anyone have advice on getting an NPS number ???(serious question ) .
I was under the impression you just request and fill out an application, and you have to satisfy their Terms and Conditions (https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/nps/index.page)

The minimum amount of equipment is nothing (2 qualifying cameras, 2 qualifying lenses), but as Jack noted, the tricky one is:
  1. Members must be engaged in and derive income from the imaging business as professional photographers or videographers, and own a majority interest in and/or be employed in a photography business or job (such as, for example, a staff photographer at a magazine). Applicants must provide Nikon with evidence of such professional status with their application for membership.
In their FAQ, they state to prove this:

" For your work profile, please supply supporting details about your imaging business. This might include examples of how clients purchase or commission your services like your website url or examples of your portfolio of published or professional work within the last 12 months, or evidence of your membership(s) in professional organizations. "