Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: L-Mount Alliance

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: L-Mount Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    ...and just like that I became immediately disinterested.
    It's important to understand what this camera is and what it's not. The $200 firmware upgrade for the S1 makes that camera a much more advanced option than most casual video shooter will ever need. The S1H goes beyond that, possibly rather far beyond. We won't know until later this year, and many things, like the memory card format, havn't even been decided yet. Other things, like IBIS, Panasonic apparently refuse to talk about at this stage.

What is pretty clear is that to utilise what this camera offers, special needs and special skills are needed, particularly when it comes to post production. I'm not in that group, not even close, but it's a challenge that it would be interesting to take on. I find the 6K 3:2 format particularly interesting, since it enables the option of producing 4K output with panning and cropping within that 6K frame without use of sliders etc., much the same way as 4K is used today for 1080 production. I doubt many will use this camera for final 6K footage.

I wonder how they are solving the battery side of things. 6K in itself will be an energy hog, and if there's mechanical cooling, that's another way of draining the battery. There's little point in unlimited recording time if the battery drains after half an hour. We will see, soon enough...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's important to understand what this camera is and what it's not. The $200 firmware upgrade for the S1 makes that camera a much more advanced option than most casual video shooter will ever need. The S1H goes beyond that, possibly rather far beyond. We won't know until later this year, and many things, like the memory card format, havn't even been decided yet. Other things, like IBIS, Panasonic apparently refuse to talk about at this stage.

What is pretty clear is that to utilise what this camera offers, special needs and special skills are needed, particularly when it comes to post production. I'm not in that group, not even close, but it's a challenge that it would be interesting to take on. I find the 6K 3:2 format particularly interesting, since it enables the option of producing 4K output with panning and cropping within that 6K frame without use of sliders etc., much the same way as 4K is used today for 1080 production. I doubt many will use this camera for final 6K footage.

I wonder how they are solving the battery side of things. 6K in itself will be an energy hog, and if there's mechanical cooling, that's another way of draining the battery. There's little point in unlimited recording time if the battery drains after half an hour. We will see, soon enough...
    6K shouldn’t be anymore battery hungry. Most cameras oversample 6K->4K to output an improved image. This should require less processing power I assume.

I’m well aware of what this camera COULD be/do... Fully articulating screens are a deal breaker for me personally. Unless they’re going to add real 4K (i.e. Cinema 4K/DCI 4K) to the other cameras and anamorphic modes it would compare directly to this camera. I have zero desire for a fully articulating screen personally though.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

6K shouldn’t be anymore battery hungry. Most cameras oversample 6K->4K to output an improved image. This should require less processing power I assume.

I’m well aware of what this camera COULD be/do... Fully articulating screens are a deal breaker for me personally. Unless they’re going to add real 4K (i.e. Cinema 4K/DCI 4K) to the other cameras and anamorphic modes it would compare directly to this camera. I have zero desire for a fully articulating screen personally though.
    You are hopefully right about the power consumption. As for the flippy screen, I've loved it since my first digital camera, the 2004 Canon A95, via the GH series to my current GX8 bodies. The biggest advantage: it's on when it's folded out, and automatically switched to EVF when folded in, at least on Panasonic cameras. Never any doubt about what is switched on, and never any button to bush or sensors to trust. There are other advantages too, which may or may not suit each photographer, but that one is why I'll probably never switch to another type of screen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You are hopefully right about the power consumption. As for the flippy screen, I've loved it since my first digital camera, the 2004 Canon A95, via the GH series to my current GX8 bodies. The biggest advantage: it's on when it's folded out, and automatically switched to EVF when folded in, at least on Panasonic cameras. Never any doubt about what is switched on, and never any button to bush or sensors to trust. There are other advantages too, which may or may not suit each photographer, but that one is why I'll probably never switch to another type of screen.
    Yeah I just prefer tilting screens that remain inline with the center of gravity. There’s literally no angle I can’t get except a “selfie” with a tilting screen... and with a WiFi Camera app I’m not sure that “selfie” orientation matters.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the 6K 3:2 format particularly interesting, since it enables the option of producing 4K output with panning and cropping within that 6K frame without use of sliders etc., much the same way as 4K is used today for 1080 production.
    The other advantage is that this allows you to shoot 2.4:1 format images with a 1.5x anamorphic lens. That's way beyond the needs of the average DSLR video shooter, but it will provide a very compelling "B camera" option for big-budget productions.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    The other advantage is that this allows you to shoot 2.4:1 format images with a 1.5x anamorphic lens. That's way beyond the needs of the average DSLR video shooter, but it will provide a very compelling "B camera" option for big-budget productions.
    The camera is very interesting. The “flippy floppy” screen is really all I hate about this camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah I just prefer tilting screens that remain inline with the center of gravity. There’s literally no angle I can’t get except a “selfie” with a tilting screen... and with a WiFi Camera app I’m not sure that “selfie” orientation matters.
    I mostly don't take selfies, and never using the camera LCD, so I wouldn't know.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly don't take selfies, and never using the camera LCD, so I wouldn't know.
    Waist level pictures or shooting from different angles. The LCD can be useful. I generally use the EVF but for candid snaps, on a tripod, and for different perspectives I do use the LCD... it’s an extension of the EVF in reality. I just don’t like crap handing off to the side that’ll get in my way.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that’s where the FUJIFILMEVF-TL1 EVF Tilt Adapter Comes in.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Well, that’s where the FUJIFILMEVF-TL1 EVF Tilt Adapter Comes in.
    Well if I owned a GFX that would be a consideration but I generally can get along fine with the rear LCD.

Post Thanks / Like

The S1R screen has this behaviour as do other cameras with a tilt screen (A7R3,A9).

Gordon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The S1R screen has this behaviour as do other cameras with a tilt screen (A7R3,A9).

Gordon
    That is not possible, since none of those cameras can turn the LCD in towards the body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That is not possible, since none of those cameras can turn the LCD in towards the body.
    He means you can switch the camera to EVF only in nearly every mirrorless camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He means you can switch the camera to EVF only in nearly every mirrorless camera.
    But my point was that the switch is automatic on Panasonic cameras once the LCD is folded face in towards the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the Epson R-1d was the first to be able to do that. Of course, being a CCD sensor, it was only used for chimping and menu settings. I always thought it was pretty cool so I would turn it around like a "real" camera.

Joel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

But my point was that the switch is automatic on Panasonic cameras once the LCD is folded face in towards the camera.
    I understood what your point was. I think it’s a matter of preference but I do know that for me personally, after owning and using both, I heavily prefer tilting screens to fully articulating one’s.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant was, that as soon as you tilt the screen in any direction the eye sensor is disabled and the LCD enabled. When you push it back into place it reverts to it's previous behaviour (unless you have it set to EVF only, of course). So for waist level shooting the eye sensor won't interfere if you have the camera close to you. Not all cameras do this (Nikon Z7 for example).

Apologies for the confusion.

Gordon