The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

L-Mount Alliance

Knorp

Its an old story before the firmware update was released for Leica cameras. The L-Mount lens protocol was changed/updated when the other members were added. This even Panasonic lenses didn’t work on the Leica L-Mount cameras until the first week of April a few days after the story was published.

“Everyone” like to believe theres a grand conspiracy regarding a couple companies - namely Leica and Sony. Sometimes there are business decisions to be made and sometimes there are just other directions that a business may choose to go. All that being said - it’s reasonable to believe there will be some functionality lost by adapting lenses. They after all aren’t native L-Mount lenses. Not saying this is the case but that’s the risk of adapting - you’ll lose communication between the camera and lens, EXIF (in most cases), and possibly functions like continuous AF.
At first I found it hard to believe this to be actually true. But indeed recent firmware upgrades did lift some if not all of the incompatibility issues.
But I can imagine Canon lenses not working via an adapter on an L-mount camera ...
Anyway, I still have faith in this alliance.

iiiNelson

At first I found it hard to believe this to be actually true. But indeed recent firmware upgrades did lift some if not all of the incompatibility issues.
But I can imagine Canon lenses not working via an adapter on an L-mount camera ...
Anyway, I still have faith in this alliance.
I think they only guarantee Sigma EF lenses will work.

iiiNelson

What exactly does it mean to have faith in an alliance? That the L-mount lenses will work on L-mount bodies?
I’d assume that he expects that the lenses and bodies would interact natively no matter the brand. Panasonic has suggested and stated themselves that this alliance is deeper and difference than the Micro 4/3 Consortium that was really ONLY about having a shared lens mount. The alliance is about shared technology and a semblance of shared strategic visions for the working partnerships.

Maybe I’m not reading your comments correctly but they come across as a bit combative. You seem to want everyone to justify their subjective interests. Maybe it’s just me and I am not trying to be hostile. It just seems like a pattern.

iiiNelson

A big maybe. Interesting but I gotta see what actually happens. At this point I believe it’s almost worth it for Panasonic to release a “sports/action” model with a hybrid PDAF with DFD camera to see how it sells. I’m sure the trade-offs in incrementally better IQ would be worth giving up for rock solid AF ago most people. Maybe keep the R model with DFD (maybe) and transition then base or proposed action capable model to incorporate hybrid AF... it would sell better to those that want an alternative to what’s available.

iiiNelson

It has a flippy screen (Yay!) and what looks like air-cooling. Lots of information missing so far, but the sensor seems to be 22-24MP at 3:2 aspect ratio. Would I buy one? Of course, I would like to buy any Panasonic camera out there :ROTFL:

No word yet about IBIS. How useful would it be for stills?

...and just like that I became immediately disinterested.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
...and just like that I became immediately disinterested.
It's important to understand what this camera is and what it's not. The $200 firmware upgrade for the S1 makes that camera a much more advanced option than most casual video shooter will ever need. The S1H goes beyond that, possibly rather far beyond. We won't know until later this year, and many things, like the memory card format, havn't even been decided yet. Other things, like IBIS, Panasonic apparently refuse to talk about at this stage.

What is pretty clear is that to utilise what this camera offers, special needs and special skills are needed, particularly when it comes to post production. I'm not in that group, not even close, but it's a challenge that it would be interesting to take on. I find the 6K 3:2 format particularly interesting, since it enables the option of producing 4K output with panning and cropping within that 6K frame without use of sliders etc., much the same way as 4K is used today for 1080 production. I doubt many will use this camera for final 6K footage.

I wonder how they are solving the battery side of things. 6K in itself will be an energy hog, and if there's mechanical cooling, that's another way of draining the battery. There's little point in unlimited recording time if the battery drains after half an hour. We will see, soon enough...

iiiNelson

It's important to understand what this camera is and what it's not. The $200 firmware upgrade for the S1 makes that camera a much more advanced option than most casual video shooter will ever need. The S1H goes beyond that, possibly rather far beyond. We won't know until later this year, and many things, like the memory card format, havn't even been decided yet. Other things, like IBIS, Panasonic apparently refuse to talk about at this stage.

What is pretty clear is that to utilise what this camera offers, special needs and special skills are needed, particularly when it comes to post production. I'm not in that group, not even close, but it's a challenge that it would be interesting to take on. I find the 6K 3:2 format particularly interesting, since it enables the option of producing 4K output with panning and cropping within that 6K frame without use of sliders etc., much the same way as 4K is used today for 1080 production. I doubt many will use this camera for final 6K footage.

I wonder how they are solving the battery side of things. 6K in itself will be an energy hog, and if there's mechanical cooling, that's another way of draining the battery. There's little point in unlimited recording time if the battery drains after half an hour. We will see, soon enough...
6K shouldn’t be anymore battery hungry. Most cameras oversample 6K->4K to output an improved image. This should require less processing power I assume.

I’m well aware of what this camera COULD be/do... Fully articulating screens are a deal breaker for me personally. Unless they’re going to add real 4K (i.e. Cinema 4K/DCI 4K) to the other cameras and anamorphic modes it would compare directly to this camera. I have zero desire for a fully articulating screen personally though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
6K shouldn’t be anymore battery hungry. Most cameras oversample 6K->4K to output an improved image. This should require less processing power I assume.

I’m well aware of what this camera COULD be/do... Fully articulating screens are a deal breaker for me personally. Unless they’re going to add real 4K (i.e. Cinema 4K/DCI 4K) to the other cameras and anamorphic modes it would compare directly to this camera. I have zero desire for a fully articulating screen personally though.
You are hopefully right about the power consumption. As for the flippy screen, I've loved it since my first digital camera, the 2004 Canon A95, via the GH series to my current GX8 bodies. The biggest advantage: it's on when it's folded out, and automatically switched to EVF when folded in, at least on Panasonic cameras. Never any doubt about what is switched on, and never any button to bush or sensors to trust. There are other advantages too, which may or may not suit each photographer, but that one is why I'll probably never switch to another type of screen.

iiiNelson

You are hopefully right about the power consumption. As for the flippy screen, I've loved it since my first digital camera, the 2004 Canon A95, via the GH series to my current GX8 bodies. The biggest advantage: it's on when it's folded out, and automatically switched to EVF when folded in, at least on Panasonic cameras. Never any doubt about what is switched on, and never any button to bush or sensors to trust. There are other advantages too, which may or may not suit each photographer, but that one is why I'll probably never switch to another type of screen.
Yeah I just prefer tilting screens that remain inline with the center of gravity. There’s literally no angle I can’t get except a “selfie” with a tilting screen... and with a WiFi Camera app I’m not sure that “selfie” orientation matters.

Bernard

I find the 6K 3:2 format particularly interesting, since it enables the option of producing 4K output with panning and cropping within that 6K frame without use of sliders etc., much the same way as 4K is used today for 1080 production.
The other advantage is that this allows you to shoot 2.4:1 format images with a 1.5x anamorphic lens. That's way beyond the needs of the average DSLR video shooter, but it will provide a very compelling "B camera" option for big-budget productions.

iiiNelson

The other advantage is that this allows you to shoot 2.4:1 format images with a 1.5x anamorphic lens. That's way beyond the needs of the average DSLR video shooter, but it will provide a very compelling "B camera" option for big-budget productions.
The camera is very interesting. The “flippy floppy” screen is really all I hate about this camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yeah I just prefer tilting screens that remain inline with the center of gravity. There’s literally no angle I can’t get except a “selfie” with a tilting screen... and with a WiFi Camera app I’m not sure that “selfie” orientation matters.
I mostly don't take selfies, and never using the camera LCD, so I wouldn't know.

iiiNelson

I mostly don't take selfies, and never using the camera LCD, so I wouldn't know.
Waist level pictures or shooting from different angles. The LCD can be useful. I generally use the EVF but for candid snaps, on a tripod, and for different perspectives I do use the LCD... it’s an extension of the EVF in reality. I just don’t like crap handing off to the side that’ll get in my way.