The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

L-Mount Alliance

flash

You are hopefully right about the power consumption. As for the flippy screen, I've loved it since my first digital camera, the 2004 Canon A95, via the GH series to my current GX8 bodies. The biggest advantage: it's on when it's folded out, and automatically switched to EVF when folded in, at least on Panasonic cameras. Never any doubt about what is switched on, and never any button to bush or sensors to trust. There are other advantages too, which may or may not suit each photographer, but that one is why I'll probably never switch to another type of screen.
The S1R screen has this behaviour as do other cameras with a tilt screen (A7R3,A9).

Gordon

JoelM

I think that the Epson R-1d was the first to be able to do that. Of course, being a CCD sensor, it was only used for chimping and menu settings. I always thought it was pretty cool so I would turn it around like a "real" camera.

Joel

iiiNelson

But my point was that the switch is automatic on Panasonic cameras once the LCD is folded face in towards the camera.
I understood what your point was. I think it’s a matter of preference but I do know that for me personally, after owning and using both, I heavily prefer tilting screens to fully articulating one’s.

flash

But my point was that the switch is automatic on Panasonic cameras once the LCD is folded face in towards the camera.
What I meant was, that as soon as you tilt the screen in any direction the eye sensor is disabled and the LCD enabled. When you push it back into place it reverts to it's previous behaviour (unless you have it set to EVF only, of course). So for waist level shooting the eye sensor won't interfere if you have the camera close to you. Not all cameras do this (Nikon Z7 for example).

Apologies for the confusion.

Gordon