The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic S1R

iiiNelson

When looking at specs, ergonomics and size, it's pretty clear to me who this camera is aimed at: D8xx and 5DS users. Never mind that the Canon and Nikon offer superior AF-C. If most owners of hi-res cameras are like me (former D810 user), they rarely use AF-C anyway, and Panasonic's AF-S is as fast and precise as any camera out there.

DSLR users are used to big cameras, and for the intended use, the size and weight is not always a disadvantage. Sometimes, like when using heavy lenses, it can be an advantage. The ergonomics of the S1/R get very high scores from reviewers so far, and the slimmer body should give an even better grip than on the large DSLR bodies.

Sony users won't change to this camera, and neither will Fuji users. However, the DSLR users are much more numerous, and therefore much more interesting to Panasonic. For me, I see a possible D810 replacement in this camera, should I choose to go big again.

I believe this camera is aimed more at existing Panasonic owners that want/need better lowlight performance and higher IQ than Micro 4/3 provides in some cases. According to Panasonic they’ve been wanting to go FF for some time now (but it wasn’t really time yet according to them). Then there’s the knowledge that Leica SL aid using DFD and you wonder just how much input Panasonic has in development and creation of that camera being that it’s the ONLY none Panasonic camera with DFD so far.

As for AF-C, I think most Sony users live in this mode because that’s where you get your Eye AF. Personally, I used to be an AF-S shooter until I got the A7RII and saw how great it performed in continuous. I do believe that SOME users of various brands will be looking at the Panasonic’s for specific things like size, video, etc. Maybe not all but I’m sure some will be testing it out at the very least to see what the competition is offering. I’m saying that as someone that tested the Canon and Nikon to see how I felt about the cameras given all their claims.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I believe this camera is aimed more at existing Panasonic owners that want/need better lowlight performance and higher IQ than Micro 4/3 provides in some cases. According to Panasonic they’ve been wanting to go FF for some time now (but it wasn’t really time yet according to them). Then there’s the knowledge that Leica SL aid using DFD and you wonder just how much input Panasonic has in development and creation of that camera being that it’s the ONLY none Panasonic camera with DFD so far.

As for AF-C, I think most Sony users live in this mode because that’s where you get your Eye AF. Personally, I used to be an AF-S shooter until I got the A7RII and saw how great it performed in continuous. I do believe that SOME users of various brands will be looking at the Panasonic’s for specific things like size, video, etc. Maybe not all but I’m sure some will be testing it out at the very least to see what the competition is offering. I’m saying that as someone that tested the Canon and Nikon to see how I felt about the cameras given all their claims.
We'll see who will bite. Many Panasonic users, like myself, will obviously be interested, and since Panasonic, lenses as well as cameras, was never cheap, they'll probably pay the price.

What you mention about Sony and AF-C is interesting, and it confirms my suspicion that photographers' preference with regards to focusing mode is often influenced by the camera they use. With Panasonic's hi-end cameras and lenses (including some lenses from Olympus), AF-S is more or less instant. I have often found myself just jamming the shutter release through, and as by magic, the AF managed to produce a sharp image, even if that was not what I saw in the viewfinder.

Photon42

I have often found myself just jamming the shutter release through, and as by magic, the AF managed to produce a sharp image, even if that was not what I saw in the viewfinder.
If you configure your shutter to only release once focus is acquired, that is expected :shocked:

On your other note: If a Panasonic m43 wants Full Frame, i.e. better whatever, the Panasonic FF system is as hard a switch as to other systems, if it comes to lenses. OK - Flashes can be reused and the UI is probably the same.

Photon42

Yeah and at the very least you’ll know that Leica and Panasonic L lenses are 100% compatible... probably Sigma lenses too though.
What does the label "LEICA Certified" exactly mean? Especially what can we expect if it is absent?

iiiNelson

What does the label "LEICA Certified" exactly mean? Especially what can we expect if it is absent?
It likely means the same thing as the Panasonic Leica lenses. Panasonic makes the lens design and Leica “approves” their name being used on the lens. In my estimation Panasonic releasing “Leica” lenses would likely confuse SOME people so I assume Panasonic came up with the “LUMIX S Pro” to perform the same function to justify premium pricing (and Leica Certified marketing) for their best lenses.

iiiNelson

We'll see who will bite. Many Panasonic users, like myself, will obviously be interested, and since Panasonic, lenses as well as cameras, was never cheap, they'll probably pay the price.

What you mention about Sony and AF-C is interesting, and it confirms my suspicion that photographers' preference with regards to focusing mode is often influenced by the camera they use. With Panasonic's hi-end cameras and lenses (including some lenses from Olympus), AF-S is more or less instant. I have often found myself just jamming the shutter release through, and as by magic, the AF managed to produce a sharp image, even if that was not what I saw in the viewfinder.
I don’t mean to imply that SOME Sony users aren’t using single point/flexible point AF... I’m sure some are. I just meant the continuous AF and tracking on sony is already excellent and it’s something that Panasonic Micro 4/3 owners that went to Sony for FF will also likely expect if they were to go all out on LUMIX S.

Panasonic reps in some interviews (and a local Canon rep I talked to the first time I tested the EOS R) openly admit they’re trying to convince that demographic to “come back home.” I don’t doubt they’ll get some people but I also think the performance needs to be such that people don’t notice the AF speed/accuracy difference for them to be successful.

jdphoto

Don't let the engineers for Nikon's Z's read the specs for the S1's. This is what the Z should have been for a camera, imo.

Last edited:

Bernard

I suspect everyone is paying Leica a L-Mount licensing fee which would likely account for the higher body pricing compared to direct competition.
The higher price is more than covered by the much more expensive viewfinder, sturdier body, better video performance, and extra card slot. Canon, Nikon and Sony would also charge more if they offered those features.

Bernard

It likely means the same thing as the Panasonic Leica lenses. Panasonic makes the lens design and Leica “approves” their name being used on the lens. In my estimation Panasonic releasing “Leica” lenses would likely confuse SOME people so I assume Panasonic came up with the “LUMIX S Pro” to perform the same function to justify premium pricing (and Leica Certified marketing) for their best lenses.
I am no more privy to the details of the Panasonic/Leica commercial agreements than anyone else here, but it sounds that Leica defined a minimum criteria that 4/3 lenses have to meet in order to wear the Leica badge.
Panasonic can't use Leica branding on L-mount lenses (because it would be confusing, as you rightly point-out), but they still want to tell customers which lenses meet the stricter criteria.

That's one of the immediate benefits of the L-mount alliance to Leica users. You still get to choose from some of the very best optics around, but now you can also buy decent mid-range lenses for times when you don't want to bring your $5,000 zoom to the beach.

iiiNelson

I am no more privy to the details of the Panasonic/Leica commercial agreements than anyone else here, but it sounds that Leica defined a minimum criteria that 4/3 lenses have to meet in order to wear the Leica badge.
Panasonic can't use Leica branding on L-mount lenses (because it would be confusing, as you rightly point-out), but they still want to tell customers which lenses meet the stricter criteria.

That's one of the immediate benefits of the L-mount alliance to Leica users. You still get to choose from some of the very best optics around, but now you can also buy decent mid-range lenses for times when you don't want to bring your $5,000 zoom to the beach.
I don’t think the Lumix S Pro are intended to be mid-range but rather premium “professional” lenses (optically speaking) on par with Canon L, Sony GM/Zeiss, or Sigma Art/Sport lenses. While I understand the marketing of the Panasonic Leica, Leica S Pro, Sony Zeiss, etc. I don’t know that any of them are necessary as many of the Japanese brands have proven that they can stand on their own optical prowess at this point.

Last edited:

camping

I am curious as to how Leica R Rom lenses will work in the Lumix L world.
Will the “f” be coupled?
Paul

Bernard

I don’t know that any of them are necessary as many of the Japanese brands have proven that they can stand on their own optical prowess at this point.
They certainly can, but they all offer multiple tiers of lenses. What Panasonic implied is that they are using criteria that they developed with Leica (or that was developed by Leica) to determine which lenses are worthy of the top tier.

Canon also has criteria that a lens has to meet to get an "L" designation.

iiiNelson

They certainly can, but they all offer multiple tiers of lenses. What Panasonic implied is that they are using criteria that they developed with Leica (or that was developed by Leica) to determine which lenses are worthy of the top tier.

Canon also has criteria that a lens has to meet to get an "L" designation.
Yeah I understand that and my comment was specifically in reference to the “certified by Leica” messaging on the boxes, the Zeiss branded Sony lenses, Hasselblad branded Fuji lenses, or the Leica branded Panasonic lenses. I completely agree they have a right to and need for establishing standards to differentiate between their standard and “pro” lenses... I just am not sure they need and external source to validate their own technical expertise in lens making at this point. I believe Japanese brands like Fuji, Panasonic, Sigma, Olympus, Sony, Tamron, Cosina, etc. can stand on their on laurels at this point because they’ve all proven that they’re as capable as the German companies in making premium optics.

W124

I am curious as to how Leica R Rom lenses will work in the Lumix L world.
Will the “f” be coupled?
Paul
It would be interesting if an Apo-Modul Telyt R f5.6/800mm with 2x Apo-Extender will work together with the IBIS.:watch:

W124

You can shoot this moloch hand-held ?

:watch:
No way!
But on a tripod or monopod a stabilized EVF view for manual focusing would be awsome!
With Sony longest focal length which can be selected manualy is only 1000mm :facesmack: