The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic S1R

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am a big time Leica Fan Boy and proud of it . Have used Leica s since the m2 was released NEW and have had every reflex body made by Leica . Currently use S,SL,M10,Q and wife uses CL . The question of this thread ...Is what does the new Panasonic S1R mean for a Leica user .

In two words... Higher MPs ! The ability to get 47+MP in a body similar to the Leica SL offers a phenomenal upgrade to an already excellent system . The L mount is open via well made Leica adapters to every lens made by Leica ....SL,S,M,R .

There are many new features in the S1R body ....some maybe exciting like the EVF which has even more resolution than the SL , or automatic pixel binning allowing the creation of almost 200MP files . Plenty of stuff for the video guys (not me ). But its the ability to get a new 47MP sensor that seems to be the attraction .

It seems to perfect like a prerelease of the Leica SL 2 for $3700.

PeterA

I am a big time Leica Fan Boy and proud of it . Have used Leica s since the m2 was released NEW and have had every reflex body made by Leica . Currently use S,SL,M10,Q and wife uses CL . The question of this thread ...Is what does the new Panasonic S1R mean for a Leica user .

In two words... Higher MPs ! The ability to get 47+MP in a body similar to the Leica SL offers a phenomenal upgrade to an already excellent system . The L mount is open via well made Leica adapters to every lens made by Leica ....SL,S,M,R .

There are many new features in the S1R body ....some maybe exciting like the EVF which has even more resolution than the SL , or automatic pixel binning allowing the creation of almost 200MP files . Plenty of stuff for the video guys (not me ). But its the ability to get a new 47MP sensor that seems to be the attraction .

It seems to perfect like a prerelease of the Leica SL 2 for $3700.
Will be interesting to see what price point the SL2 come in at...but this 47MP offer from Panasonic is very welcome.

bensonga

Roger -- I agree that having this Panasonic 47mp L-mount alternative to the 24mp Leica SL, especially if it is priced at $4k or less, is great news. I still have a large collection of Leica R lenses and R cameras. I have used some of the R lenses now and then on a Sony A7(m), A7II or A7RII. I would like to try them on a SL, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $6k or more for one.

I'm really looking forward to the reviews and real world experience of anyone here on GetDPI that decides to buy a S1R.

Gary

PeterA

Exciting development for those with L mount lenses which are all designed to resolve at much higher MP than 24 in current SL camera.

Knorp

Exciting development for those with L mount lenses which are all designed to resolve at much higher MP than 24 in current SL camera.
Absolutely, but I’m also very curious what Leica and Sigma are brewing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... and on other forums, they have already started hitting each other on the head with figures, and explaining why the new Panasonic cameras are DOA. Getdpi is one of very few friendly and civilised camera forums left on the internet, and one of the few where photography is as important as cameras.

So let me say then, that although I'm not planning to buy any of these (not this week anyway :ROTFL: ), they look to me like two very competent cameras, possibly the best mirrorless full frame bodies so far.

pegelli

... and on other forums, they have already started hitting each other on the head with figures, and explaining why the new Panasonic cameras are DOA. Getdpi is one of very few friendly and civilised camera forums left on the internet, and one of the few where photography is as important as cameras.
Yes, GetDPI is very civilised these days, but I still remember the days that there was one vocal member here who bashed every new Sony mirrorless that came out based on specs and other forum reviews. Fortunately those times are now over ;)

Glad the Panasonic FF is out now, haven't looked at specs and reviews yet (probably won't buy one) but I'm sure it's a nice camera and more choices and competition is good for everyone.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, GetDPI is very civilised these days, but I still remember the days that there was one vocal member here who bashed every new Sony mirrorless that came out based on specs and other forum reviews. Fortunately those times are now over ;)
But it worked! They haven't released a new one in ages :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Last edited:

pegelli

But it worked! They haven't released a new on in ages :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
I think this proves two things as people get older:
- They mellow
- Their memory starts to fail

:ROTFL:

Let's play a little (senior) trivia to keep the grey cells in shape and reduce the aging effect ;)

Q: Was the latest release of a FF Sony Mirrorless more or less than 12 month ago? :grin:

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's unfortunate that I'm addicted to long lenses. Full frame only doesn't cut it for me. If I were rich, the E-M1X with the 150-400 and the S1R with two or three fast primes (24/50/90?) would be a fantastic combo to travel with. Unfortunately, I'm not rich, so I have to concentrate on taking photos with what I have instead. Which I do. And enjoy :eek:

Stuart Richardson

I am quite interested in this camera as a more Leica friendly replacement for my A7Rii, which I use primarily for video. Additionally, if it can use S lenses via an adapter, that would be amazing, as I could be up and running right away, particularly for the longer lenses (120 and 180). I am still using my Leica S 006 which I have had since late 2014. I have not seen anything in the 007 to make it worth the side-grade (giving up CCD colors and acutance, longer exposure time, and a real shutter speed dial in exchange for live view and more speed...the S video sounds great in theory, but apparently cannot compete with Sony, cannot output 4k to an external recorder etc). In any case, I would be very interested in the S3, but it will presumably be over 20,000 dollars, which is unfortunately a non-starter with cameras like the GFX100 in the pipeline that offer significantly more for significantly less. Unfortunately, given the collapse in value for the S system, it is a hard pill to swallow to sell it all off and lose many thousands of dollars in lens investment, it seems wiser to get in with a camera like the S1R and an adapter...at least until the demo or QM2 S3's are under 10-15.000 dollars, which may take at least a year or two. Meanwhile, the S1R will almost certainly offer better video, alongside higher resolution than the S006 or S007, and the ability to acquire a larger diversity of lenses, most likely at a lower cost once Sigma and Panasonic start producing L mount lenses.

Pradeep

I think this is great news for everyone, the more players there are in the mirrorless arena the more development happens and all of them have to keep innovating, simply to keep up. I've owned both Lumix and Leica in the past and while the L glass has been great, it was too expensive and more importantly, there was nothing in the long zoom/prime category. Which meant that for my style of shooting (wildlife plus landscapes) I would have to carry two systems.

I am not going to buy this but it is exciting as some of the technology could easily be adopted by Sony and other makes. Just goes to show what is possible today. The days of the big bulky DSLR are indeed numbered. I had predicted elsewhere that it will all be over in 5 yrs, it may be even sooner.

Here is yet another comparison with the Z7 and the A7riii. Interestingly, the Panny comes in significantly heavier, that in itself would be a problem for me.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-s1-s1r-review-in-progress/2

AlexLF

After watching all the related videos from the most popular photography resources I'd say I'm more than impressed with the camera and it's features! S1R is so yummy! :)

ok, anyone need anything IT-related for enterprise (or not) made with the latest cloud, data and web tech? :) Just kidding... Gone working!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am quite interested in this camera as a more Leica friendly replacement for my A7Rii, which I use primarily for video. Additionally, if it can use S lenses via an adapter, that would be amazing, as I could be up and running right away, particularly for the longer lenses (120 and 180). I am still using my Leica S 006 which I have had since late 2014. I have not seen anything in the 007 to make it worth the side-grade (giving up CCD colors and acutance, longer exposure time, and a real shutter speed dial in exchange for live view and more speed...the S video sounds great in theory, but apparently cannot compete with Sony, cannot output 4k to an external recorder etc). In any case, I would be very interested in the S3, but it will presumably be over 20,000 dollars, which is unfortunately a non-starter with cameras like the GFX100 in the pipeline that offer significantly more for significantly less. Unfortunately, given the collapse in value for the S system, it is a hard pill to swallow to sell it all off and lose many thousands of dollars in lens investment, it seems wiser to get in with a camera like the S1R and an adapter...at least until the demo or QM2 S3's are under 10-15.000 dollars, which may take at least a year or two. Meanwhile, the S1R will almost certainly offer better video, alongside higher resolution than the S006 or S007, and the ability to acquire a larger diversity of lenses, most likely at a lower cost once Sigma and Panasonic start producing L mount lenses.
Leica makes a S to L adapter for use of S lenses on a Leica Sl . (so its L mount ) .