The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic S1

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks, Jorgen and Tre for your observations. Jorgen, I have an inexpensive adapter. You may be right that the adapter may not be optimum. I didn't want to spend $200-300 on an adapter until I assessed whether using M lenses was going to be viable. I will go ahead and buy a good adapter and then decide what lenses to keep. I am not going to buy another Leica M camera, so if the lens doesn't work with the S1, it will go. I bought an inexpensive FD adapter and have a few FD lenses to try out, as well as one or two R lenses. In the meantime, I have the 24-105 lens.
Hi Cindy,

would you have a chance to try with the original Leica adapter or at least a Novoflex adapter? These are usually high quality and I suppose that the problem you have could come from the adapter you use.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That was essentially the conclusion I came to as well and many of the newest lenses meet or exceed the optical performance of the Leica M lenses. There’s a few Leica M lenses that I miss and haven’t found a better replacement for but overall I feel like the versatility of any Mirrorless camera exceeds the versatility of any rangefinder camera. If staying in the 24-90 range the point is mostly moot if one is extremely quick to manually focus but outside of those ranges a DSLR or Mirrorless is more versatile to use, frame, and live with.

From everything ive seen the Panasonic lenses are excellent and there’s not a huge optical performance difference between them and the Leica SL lenses. The Leica L lenses are better but I don’t know that they’re exponentially better. I. Plus probably live with the 3 existing Panasonic lenses and add a fast portrait, a wide normal, and an ultra wide prime in time to cover nearly everything I’d need a camera to do. If they released a reasonably affordable (and sized) f/4 or f/5.6 telephoto zoom similar to the Nikon 200-500 then I’d pick that up for wildlife and call the system complete.
I have very similar thoughts. I would probably go with the S1 (or even S1R) and the kit zoom and add 1 or 2 fast Sigma primes and maybe as soon as released a 100-400 Sigma native L-mount lens. Add to that all (or most) of my M lenses, especially that stellar 1.0/50 Noctilux and I think that would be my camera kit for the next decade :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is actually a review of the S1R, but it uses a many Sigma and Leica lenses to compare to the Panasonic lenses - so actually an interesting summary about how different L-mount lenses perform on the new Panasonic cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xn3yMlH5gg&feature=youtu.be

I meanwhile come to the conclusion that it might be better to sell most of the M lenses and just go (live) with native L-mount glass because that would obviously give the best results. Maybe only keep 1 or 2 M-mount lenses just for sentimental and other reasons ....

pegelli

I can't say I fully understand the obsession with using film camera lenses on digital bodies.
I don't fully understand why you think this is an obsession. It's just a different rendering that works well for certain types of images, so some people like to use them. No more, no less.

iiiNelson

I have very similar thoughts. I would probably go with the S1 (or even S1R) and the kit zoom and add 1 or 2 fast Sigma primes and maybe as soon as released a 100-400 Sigma native L-mount lens. Add to that all (or most) of my M lenses, especially that stellar 1.0/50 Noctilux and I think that would be my camera kit for the next decade :thumbs:
Panasonic will release 1.4x and 2x extenders this year as well. So it’s possible that they’ll work with the f/4 lenses as well... but maybe not.

I still recommend that you purchase an inexpensive M to L adapter and just see if your lenses perform to your standard.

iiiNelson

I can't say I fully understand the obsession with using film camera lenses on digital bodies.
The easy answer is nostalgia for a modern look of yesteryear.

The more nuanced answer is that many of the modern lenses are getting harder to discern in rendering - similar to how “portrait and fashion photography” has become more obsessed with the “cinematic” look to the environment and “plastic” look of models. It’s a striking look without a doubt but it’s harder to tell photographers apart when there’s an orange cast on the skin and a cyan cast on the sky.

The most simple answer is that people like what they like and it doesn't hurt anyone else that they like it. Some just want to create a different artistic effect. It’s no different than a cinematographer electing to shoot on single coat or vintage lenses instead of “8K rated” lenses which are technically superior in every way.

No wasted ink necessary.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I will tell you that I don't like the (to me) sterile look of a lot of modern lenses. Also, I happen to like the experience of setting my own exposure and focusing my own lens as part of the process. I am not doing it for anyone but myself and I treasure my collection of manual lenses that I have collected over many years. I have a full Olympus OMD-EM1II kit with pro lenses when I need speed or reach. I bought this camera in order to enjoy my old lenses. I'm not expecting perfection, just looking to find out what it can do.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Cindy,

would you have a chance to try with the original Leica adapter or at least a Novoflex adapter? These are usually high quality and I suppose that the problem you have could come from the adapter you use.
I will be ordering a better adapter. I started by testing my my most problematic lenses. None are really awful when stopped down, so I will move on to a better adapter.

jdphoto

I will be ordering a better adapter. I started by testing my my most problematic lenses. None are really awful when stopped down, so I will move on to a better adapter.
If the native lens is good that will eliminate the need for a new camera. Also, if specifically adapting manual, vintage lenses, I encourage you to demo the Z7, if only for the 16mm flange distance, thinnest sensor glass and wide diameter. Have fun!

Stuart Richardson

I think a lot of us have a lot invested in M lenses, which are still incredibly capable lenses on bodies that support them, with basically no comparison in terms of size, weight, speed and character. Personally, I have no interest in a 50mm 1.4 SL lens that weighs three times as much and costs more than double what I paid for my 50mm Summilux M. I do not need AF for most of my work, and the S1 is a tertiary system for me...primarily used for video. For video use, the M lenses are frankly more desirable for me use. They have a beautiful look, smooth, consistent and linear manual focus and click stop apertures. I can set the lens and aperture and not have to worry about the settings changing etc. If I can use the same lens on an M camera for travel or candids, all the better. I certainly will grant that native lenses are almost always the best performers, but that doesn't mean that you should go out and spend 20,000 dollars on a few Leica lenses every time they change mounts.

Paratom

I am one of those who do not use M lenses that much on either the SL or the S1r, even though I still own many of them.
First the zooms - even though big - are soo good, have AF, fcous fast ( I have small kids so here AF helps, specially face detection is of great help). I never ever had so many shots where the eyes are spot on sharp before.
I do use occasionally M lenses to fill in. For example the 21/3.4 when I carry the zoom and want a wider option in my bag. Or the 35/1.4FLE for low light. I can also see using a Noctilux for its special rendering.

Another thing is balance of weight. I have to say using a tiny lens on a S1r feels a little bit "funny" to me.

I still think the best to use M lenses (at least up to 50mm) is sing on a M-body.

If I wanted to use manual lenses on a S1r/S1/SL/Z7/Z6 I would probably prefer R lenses over M-lenses. But than if you look how good native Nikon 50/1.8 are for example ..., or now the native lenses from Pana, I allmost allways come to the conclusion that - if available - I would opt for the native lens.

I find it a lot of fun to be able to put all kind of lenses on those bodies, but after some "playing" time I usually us mainly native lenses.