Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: General thoughts about S1 and/or S1R

Post Thanks / Like

Re: General thoughts about S1 and/or S1R

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I donít dismiss his relevant content though because he happens to have some different hobbies. I donít know the man personally but from everything I do know about him, he seems like a decent man... and at the end of the day his other hobbies donít affect me.
    Since when is defrauding gullible people a hobby?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Since when is defrauding gullible people a hobby?
    I donít know who heís defrauding personally... Iíve said repeatedly - I donít pay attention to ANY of that stuff. Maybe others do but I choose not to. Itís simple as that for me.

If you want to choose to continue dragging this manís other interests down then please do it in another place and with other people. Iím not interested in his other hobbies. Im not interested in passing judgments on him. Iím interested in culminating various camera opinions here and thatís all. the negativity here is why I took an extensive break from this forum. I would appreciate if you can respect that.

Thank you in advance.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    To date, the only mount that I can use my Leica S glass on is the L mount and that played a big factor in the decision. I am not trying to convert others, just going over my reasons for the purchase. When Sigma releases their Foveon camera next year, that will also be considered. But for now, instead of waiting for the ďif only it had this...Ē camera, I bought what I felt had features important to me, to use today.
    I read in another forum that the AF of the S lenses does not work on the S1/S1r. The f-stop seem to work though.
    I own the adapter and the S lenses work on the SL but the focus speed is slow compared to S lenses on the S or compared to SL lenses on the SL, but at least they auto focus on the SL.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DXO has a sensor review of the S1. Very similar performance to the Z6.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, slightly above the Z6 and just below the A7iii: DXO sensor comparison

It seems all these recent 24 MP sensors perform very close to each-other
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    Although, you've already purchased the S1, you might have wanted to wait on the M to Z adapter. I have the Novoflex M to Z and R to Z adapter on a Z7. I can say with enthusiasm that it's the best mirrorless for adapting M lenses I've ever used because of the very thin sensor stack. The ergonomics and weight are imo, much better than any Leica digital with IBIS, EFCS, peaking and zoom. Using f0.95 glass on this camera is amazing and accurate The 28mm Elmarit M, and 50mm 1.4 Lux are excellent on the Z.
    The S1r is really v serious rig for adapted M glass. My close fam member has a Z7 which I use, I have an A7r3/m10-p and I just rented the S1r for a couple weeks. Iíd venture to bet that the S1r has the exact sensor/micro lens (coverglass) as the SL2 will have. Iíve so far tried the 50 APO, 50/.95 Noct, 28 Lux, plus the D35 ZM and they are screaming on the S1r. Still corners appear better on the M10, but thatís most likely due to crop of its sensor. The Z7 handled the D35 very well, but not so well the 50 APO and 28 Lux. I have only compared by switching the same SD card out b/w cameras (except Z7) and photographing pictures on my refrigerator, but I am just so impressed with the S1R.

I almost feel like Iím holding the SL2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NRKStudio View Post
    The S1r is really v serious rig for adapted M glass. My close fam member has a Z7 which I use, I have an A7r3/m10-p and I just rented the S1r for a couple weeks. Iíd venture to bet that the S1r has the exact sensor/micro lens (coverglass) as the SL2 will have. Iíve so far tried the 50 APO, 50/.95 Noct, 28 Lux, plus the D35 ZM and they are screaming on the S1r. Still corners appear better on the M10, but thatís most likely due to crop of its sensor. The Z7 handled the D35 very well, but not so well the 50 APO and 28 Lux. I have only compared by switching the same SD card out b/w cameras (except Z7) and photographing pictures on my refrigerator, but I am just so impressed with the S1R.

I almost feel like Iím holding the SL2
    Also, do you experience viewfinder choppiness in magnified view on the Z7? Itís v distracting when using the focus magnifier on the Z7 on MF with M glass. Even the Sony is much smoother.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    So he's pissed off because he wasn't invited to the party?

Honestly, he lists every area where the S1/R is superior to one or more other cameras and finds a disadvantage. He also keeps repeating that only three lenses are available, which is an outright lie. There's a reason why Panasonic joined forces with Leica.

Here's an example:
    He complains about the 180fps 1080p, and it isn't perfect. But how many non-Panasonic cameras below $5,000 offer 180fps 1080p?

Sorry, the guy is nothing but a Youtube clown, and I'm ashamed that I listened to his drivel for more than 15 minutes.
    Lol! You should read the comments, they are really calling him out on the lies. He even puts a non-S Panasonic on the table to try to confuse people into believing he has used the camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all -

Ok. So I’m at the stage of reading the S1R manual which usually means a purchase is imminent. Also, I have just ordered the Kipon M645SL adapter to enable me to attach the camera to my CAPcam.

I asked a question earlier about the high resolution functionality of the S1R, and whether in the future it might be possible that Panasonic would introduce the ability to set a delay between each of the 8 frames so that this function could be used with strobes.

But reading the manual something hit me - High Resoltion mode is detailed as being available with Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual exposure modes.

Since in my environment I have complete control over ambient light, presumably if I were to use manual mode and set the shutter speed to, say, half a second, then the camera would expose for 0.5 seconds for each of the 8 frames, thus giving my Profotos time to recharge.

Can anyone confirm whether I have understood this correctly?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit

Bugger. High res mode uses the electronic shutter, which cannot be used with flash

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Yes, slightly above the Z6 and just below the A7iii: DXO sensor comparison

It seems all these recent 24 MP sensors perform very close to each-other
    I would say that the one big advantage that Iíve seen over the A7 III is that the S1 holds color detail a lot better at high ISO than Iíve seen any other camera do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NRKStudio View Post
    The S1r is really v serious rig for adapted M glass. My close fam member has a Z7 which I use, I have an A7r3/m10-p and I just rented the S1r for a couple weeks. I’d venture to bet that the S1r has the exact sensor/micro lens (coverglass) as the SL2 will have. I’ve so far tried the 50 APO, 50/.95 Noct, 28 Lux, plus the D35 ZM and they are screaming on the S1r. Still corners appear better on the M10, but that’s most likely due to crop of its sensor. The Z7 handled the D35 very well, but not so well the 50 APO and 28 Lux. I have only compared by switching the same SD card out b/w cameras (except Z7) and photographing pictures on my refrigerator, but I am just so impressed with the S1R.

I almost feel like I’m holding the SL2
    It's the thinner sensor stack that gives the Nikon Z7 an advantage when adapting M lenses because of oblique angles of light. The wide diameter, short flange and thin sensor cover allow light a more direct path to the sensor. I'm pretty sure the M10 has a 36x24 sensor, so wouldn't be considered "cropped". I haven't read many reviews since the S1/S1r is in stock at most retailers. Although, DXO has a sensor score for the S1 similar to the Z6. The pre hype seems to be more enthusiastic than the pre orders. Also, shooting interior pictures might not be the best comparison as you probably won't use the full throw of the lens. Try MF at all distances utilizing the the full aperture range. All cameras today are excellent. Some less slippery or more bulky than others, but if specifically adapting M lenses to another camera, then the Z 7 is hard to beat, imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Hi all -

Ok. So I’m at the stage of reading the S1R manual which usually means a purchase is imminent. Also, I have just ordered the Kipon M645SL adapter to enable me to attach the camera to my CAPcam.

I asked a question earlier about the high resolution functionality of the S1R, and whether in the future it might be possible that Panasonic would introduce the ability to set a delay between each of the 8 frames so that this function could be used with strobes.

But reading the manual something hit me - High Resoltion mode is detailed as being available with Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual exposure modes.

Since in my environment I have complete control over ambient light, presumably if I were to use manual mode and set the shutter speed to, say, half a second, then the camera would expose for 0.5 seconds for each of the 8 frames, thus giving my Profotos time to recharge.

Can anyone confirm whether I have understood this correctly?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit

Bugger. High res mode uses the electronic shutter, which cannot be used with flash
    What scenario would you use this for? I'm thinking product/table top shoots? By combining multiple 8 frame images you are effectively getting a long exposure (0.5*8=4 seconds) for each sequence. What about using continuous lights or simply stitching/stacking images together for high rez and negating any sync or recharge issues you might encounter with the Lumix. You would have to use HSS to get that kind of speed, albeit, at a lower output, but Profoto HSS does not support the Lumix...yet. Go with high output continuous lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    What scenario would you use this for? I'm thinking product/table top shoots? By combining multiple 8 frame images you are effectively getting a long exposure (0.5*8=4 seconds) for each sequence. What about using continuous lights or simply stitching/stacking images together for high rez and negating any sync or recharge issues you might encounter with the Lumix. You would have to use HSS to get that kind of speed, albeit, at a lower output, but Profoto HSS does not support the Lumix...yet. Go with high output continuous lights.
    Hi -

Yes, product shots.

But I wouldnít be getting a long exposure because I have zero ambient light (well, effectively zero), so each exposure would only be illuminated by the flash.

Continuous light is an option to explore. I have some LED panels that I can test, but the power just isnít there compared to what the D1ís can output, and am not sure how they would work with the electronic shutter.

I donít need HSS - I just need to have a programmable gap between each of the exposures for the HR stack.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Hi -

Yes, product shots.

But I wouldnít be getting a long exposure because I have zero ambient light (well, effectively zero), so each exposure would only be illuminated by the flash.

Continuous light is an option to explore. I have some LED panels that I can test, but the power just isnít there compared to what the D1ís can output, and am not sure how they would work with the electronic shutter.

I donít need HSS - I just need to have a programmable gap between each of the exposures for the HR stack.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    I believe thereís an anti-flicker mode for reducing the potential for banding when using an electronic shutter... but you also have an app thatís can control the camera remotely so that you can stick to mechanical shutter. Continuous lighting is a decent option that many are using more often since there has been several strides made into affordable color stable options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I believe thereís an anti-flicker mode for reducing the potential for banding when using an electronic shutter... but you also have an app thatís can control the camera remotely so that you can stick to mechanical shutter. Continuous lighting is a decent option that many are using more often since there has been several strides made into affordable color stable options.
    Hi -

My understanding from the manual is that high resolution mode forces use of the electronic shutter - mechanical shutter simply is not an option. If it were, then I would have a solution where I could use the strobes by setting a slow shutter speed.

I will certainly try out continuous lighting. I have a Rosco Pro Gaffer's LitePad kit that I've not used since getting my Profoto D1's. Will definitely give it a try.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordon Laing - Camera Labs Review

https://youtu.be/YCH7k9q4NHE

Outside of his repeated harping of there not being a selfie screen in his camera reviews I generally always enjoy his viewpoints. Even still itís a valid thing to mention for people looking for those types of screens but I donít know that this is the ideal system to vlog with given the size. If a person wanted to conduct interviews and check framing then thereís the very capable LUMIX Sync app or external monitors that can assist in both. To me this is largely a non-issue and if using a lens in the 28mm range or wider, holding the camera at full extension typically will get you a selfie viewpoint without need to critically focus. In any case, itís yet another largely positive review of the camera system which presents another option to strongly take into consideration.