The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

General thoughts about S1 and/or S1R

iiiNelson

What are the chances of a negative review? Reviewers will be falling all over themselves to see who can come up with the most superlatives. Wait a while for comments on the forums from actual users before deciding whether or not to take the plunge. Besides, the only Panasonic lenses currently available are the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4. The 50 f1.4 is a preorder (and costs a fortune). The Sigmas are preorder too. I suppose someone may put a Leica L lens on a Panasonic but I bet most will just wait for the SL2.
The 50/1.4 is shipping now actually and it seems to be “fairly priced” for what it is. The Sigma’s are slated for a Q4 2019 release.

iiiNelson

Where are all the reviews? These are in stock with most dealers now.
There are some YouTube “reviews” but I’d take most of them with a grain of salt since many of them are done on pre-production firmware. There are more being worked on that I know of from a few more credible sources but in reality there’s only so much I take from any review. I tend to know what works for me better than others. I don’t mind seeing impressions of the objective performance but other than that most of them are just a very small piece of how I view a camera.

iiiNelson

I don't know what it is other than a 50mm f/1.4 lens. I haven't seen any information about it other than the price.
I’m not sure why you’d mention the costs without reading about it at all... as for the lens the highlights are as follows.

Designed to meet/exceed Zeiss Otus performance. Designed to be optimized for both photo and video. Minimal focus breathing (this is true of all LUMIX S lenses) for video usage. Autofocus speed designed to keep up with the 480 calculations per second of the LUMIX S cameras. Largest aspherical lens in a system camera of this type. Designed for smooth bokeh rendering. Designed to minimize “cat-eye” bokeh (though I have seen some in some shots personally).

we all would love premium lenses at knock-off prices but that’s just not reality. Lenses will get more expensive as radical new designs are made to accommodate higher resolution sensors.

I’m not sure why you’d mention the costs without reading about it at all... as for the lens the highlights are as follows.

Designed to meet/exceed Zeiss Otus performance. Designed to be optimized for both photo and video. Minimal focus breathing (this is true of all LUMIX S lenses) for video usage. Autofocus speed designed to keep up with the 480 calculations per second of the LUMIX S cameras. Largest aspherical lens in a system camera of this type. Designed for smooth bokeh rendering. Designed to minimize “cat-eye” bokeh (though I have seen some in some shots personally).

we all would love premium lenses at knock-off prices but that’s just not reality. Lenses will get more expensive as radical new designs are made to accommodate higher resolution sensors.
What is the source of your information?

The internet... Google it. Read it. Watch videos on it. There's a wealth of information if you choose to absorb it.
I generally avoid YouTube reviews. You have to wade through so much blathering on to get to any useful information it is just not worth the time and effort. I have read some written reviews, but none of them contain any objective testing, mostly just regurgitation of specifications and marketing hype aimed at ratcheting up your GAS. I'll wait for something more definitive before drawing conclusions.

iiiNelson

I generally avoid YouTube reviews. You have to wade through so much blathering on to get to any useful information it is just not worth the time and effort. I have read some written reviews, but none of them contain any objective testing, mostly just regurgitation of specifications and marketing hype aimed at ratcheting up your GAS. I'll wait for something more definitive before drawing conclusions.
I can understand that for many people that do Youtube reviews but there are some consistent sources at well. The imaging Reaources written review has decent top level information and user impressions in it. Panasonic reps also are extremely active on social media and on some YouTube videos as well. I’ve posted some that have the product manager in them that talked about the design philosophy of the camera and lenses.

gerald.d

Hi all -

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know whether the S1R can tether to Capture One?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

iiiNelson

Hi all -

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know whether the S1R can tether to Capture One?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Not a dumb question and Capture One support hasn’t been added yet. Lightroom support was just added on Thursday... I suspect Capture One will come in the next few weeks.

gerald.d

Not a dumb question and Capture One support hasn’t been added yet. Lightroom support was just added on Thursday... I suspect Capture One will come in the next few weeks.
Many thanks - I will keep an eye out as this could be a great camera to put on my CAPCam.

I am a little concerned that no support will be forthcoming however, as it seems that Capture One doesn't support any Panasonic cameras at the moment.

Does the Lightroom tethering support live view, do you know?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

iiiNelson

Many thanks - I will keep an eye out as this could be a great camera to put on my CAPCam.

I am a little concerned that no support will be forthcoming however, as it seems that Capture One doesn't support any Panasonic cameras at the moment.

Does the Lightroom tethering support live view, do you know?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I don’t use any Adobe products personally so I don’t know if Lightroom supports tether. In the past there was only native tether support for Canon, Nikon, and Leica S cameras so I don’t know the current situation. This was my huge reason for investing further into Capture One - they support my Sony Cameras natively without additional paid plug-ins. I do know that there’s a Panasonic tethering app and you can probably set it up to work as a hot folder with Capture One. RAW support for LUMIX S cameras was just added today for version 12.0.3.

Lumix tether app: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/download/d_lumixtether.html#page

gerald.d

I don’t use any Adobe products personally so I don’t know if Lightroom supports tether. In the past there was only native tether support for Canon, Nikon, and Leica S cameras so I don’t know the current situation. This was my huge reason for investing further into Capture One - they support my Sony Cameras natively without additional paid plug-ins. I do know that there’s a Panasonic tethering app and you can probably set it up to work as a hot folder with Capture One. RAW support for LUMIX S cameras was just added today for version 12.0.3.

Lumix tether app: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/download/d_lumixtether.html#page
Ahh fantastic. Thank you so much. Found a YouTube video about the app and it has live view - I think I’m all set :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

iiiNelson

Ahh fantastic. Thank you so much. Found a YouTube video about the app and it has live view - I think I’m all set :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.
No problem.

This is probably the most interesting set of cameras to me since the Sony A9/ Fuji GFX were announced and released. I’ll probably rent them if I can’t get a demo copy to try out before I decide to buy.

iiiNelson

Ugh. There’s always a fly in the ointment.

According to the review here, you can’t use flash with multishot.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/digital-camera-reviews/panasonic-lumix-s1r-review/

Really bizarre - and frustrating - oversight there. If anyone from Panasonic is reading this, please get in touch!

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I don’t know if you’re on Facebook but they have several product managers and ambassadors that frequent the internet for feedback/feature requests. I’ve submitted a couple myself (High-speed shooting to 24fps output and manual focus direction options in the menu) that have reportedly been passed along to the LUMIX S team in Japan for potential future firmware update. I also know that they’ve passed along ProRES RAW requests because many production studios have adapted it as the standard for daily deliverables as well plus the reduction in data size compared to many other compressed formats is loved by many.

If not I don’t mind passing along the request in some of the groups that I know they frequent.

gerald.d

I don’t know if you’re on Facebook but they have several product managers and ambassadors that frequent the internet for feedback/feature requests. I’ve submitted a couple myself (High-speed shooting to 24fps output and manual focus direction options in the menu) that have reportedly been passed along to the LUMIX S team in Japan for potential future firmware update. I also know that they’ve passed along ProRES RAW requests because many production studios have adapted it as the standard for daily deliverables as well plus the reduction in data size compared to many other compressed formats is loved by many.

If not I don’t mind passing along the request in some of the groups that I know they frequent.
Thanks. I will attempt to connect with them on FB.

gerald.d

Would your flash recycle quickly enough between exposures?
I use Profoto D1’s. It very much depends on the power and time beteeen the exposures. And also I assume on whether the camera would even trigger the flash for each exposure?

Here’s what was written in the review...

“If there’s one practical complaint I have about high-resolution mode, it’s that it doesn’t work with flash. Some cameras with multi-shot modes let you program a delay between each exposure so that a flash or studio strobe has a moment to recharge, but there is no such setting on the S1R.”

Kind regards,

Gerald.