The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

General thoughts about S1 and/or S1R

iiiNelson

I use Profoto D1’s. It very much depends on the power and time beteeen the exposures. And also I assume on whether the camera would even trigger the flash for each exposure?

Here’s what was written in the review...

“If there’s one practical complaint I have about high-resolution mode, it’s that it doesn’t work with flash. Some cameras with multi-shot modes let you program a delay between each exposure so that a flash or studio strobe has a moment to recharge, but there is no such setting on the S1R.”

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Cool, look for Sean Robinson or Tamar Stern on the member lists of the groups you join. They’re both regularly active on a near daily basis.

iiiNelson

On a side note, it seems that the S1 is playing nicely with Voigtlander M-mount lenses. This isn’t a huge surprise as I found that even the first generation Sony A7 played nicely with the CV 35/1.2 Nokton v2 and the 21/1.8 Ultron. What will be more interesting is if they play nicely with Leica Aspherical lenses... that’s where I saw the most issues with adapting.

https://youtu.be/uYCv5g__A0I

End of the day though there is impressive performance from these cameras. Of special consideration is the high ISO performance that doesn’t just have reduced noise in the picture... a good amount of the color detail is actually retained in all of the lowlight pictures. That’s what’s most special about the performance of these cameras IMO.

On a side note, it seems that the S1 is playing nicely with Voigtlander M-mount lenses. This isn’t a huge surprise as I found that even the first generation Sony A7 played nicely with the CV 35/1.2 Nokton v2 and the 21/1.8 Ultron. What will be more interesting is if they play nicely with Leica Aspherical lenses... that’s where I saw the most issues with adapting.

https://youtu.be/uYCv5g__A0I

End of the day though there is impressive performance from these cameras. Of special consideration is the high ISO performance that doesn’t just have reduced noise in the picture... a good amount of the color detail is actually retained in all of the lowlight pictures. That’s what’s most special about the performance of these cameras IMO.
I would not place trust in any evaluation by Steve Huff. He also claims that he can communicate with the dead and sells devices for such purpose.

Huff Paranormal | I Record Clear voices of the Dead. Inventor of The Portal, Wonder Box and SoulSpeaker.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I would not place trust in any evaluation by Steve Huff. He also claims that he can communicate will the dead and sells devices for such purpose.

Huff Paranormal | I Record Clear voices of the Dead. Inventor of The Portal, Wonder Box and SoulSpeaker.
You don’t have to trust him.

He posts pictures and there are enough sources to verify and validate across the internet. Unless there is a massive internet conspiracy his early impressions are mostly consistent with what other sources are reporting. Against the big takeaway is to ingest the information and decide if the results are consistent with what your eyes may or may not tell you.

Regarding his other interests... not my business whether or not he can actually confer with the dead through potentially occult practices. Not my thing and it brings no direct harm to me or my family.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would not place trust in any evaluation by Steve Huff. He also claims that he can communicate will the dead and sells devices for such purpose.

I trust in his ability to tell what he likes about a camera and what not. This seems to be always pretty honest, even if I often do not share his findings. But he never says something bad a bout a product he does not know.

Hence I found his review very informative and I think I would feel the same about such a camera.

The communication with dead part - well one does not have to listen to everything. A professor of mine once said something very true - there is always something like an "OFF SWITCH" if some content is not to one's taste.

iiiNelson

I trust in his ability to tell what he likes about a camera and what not. This seems to be always pretty honest, even if I often do not share his findings. But he never says something bad a bout a product he does not know.

Hence I found his review very informative and I think I would feel the same about such a camera.

The communication with dead part - well one does not have to listen to everything. A professor of mine once said something very true - there is always something like an "OFF SWITCH" if some content is not to one's taste.
Yeah I agree.

While I don’t always share his exact feelings I can always respect his viewpoints and approach to not being overly negative - to the point he won’t even review a product that he doesn’t genuinely like in order to not tear the product or product team down. He generally communicates with the manufacturer and privately shares his thoughts with them. I can respect that.

He also shares his workflow which puts everything into perspective as well. He uses the SL/S1 as a platform for his M-mount lenses near exclusively.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yeah I agree.

While I don’t always share his exact feelings I can always respect his viewpoints and approach to not being overly negative - to the point he won’t even review a product that he doesn’t genuinely like in order to not tear the product or product team down. He generally communicates with the manufacturer and privately shares his thoughts with them. I can respect that.

He also shares his workflow which puts everything into perspective as well. He uses the SL/S1 as a platform for his M-mount lenses near exclusively.
And what I like especially about that is to learn about his experiences with M lenses on a non-Leica camera. The S1 might just be a perfect and reasonably cheap solution for me to do exactly the same - finally shoot my M lenses again on a capable camera body and not have to pay the crazy high prizes for modern Leica M's or the Leica digital cameras :thumbs:

And maybe later, if I really like what I can get from an S1 I always can add some native L-mount lenses if I need/like.

iiiNelson

And what I like especially about that is to learn about his experiences with M lenses on a non-Leica camera. The S1 might just be a perfect and reasonably cheap solution for me to do exactly the same - finally shoot my M lenses again on a capable camera body and not have to pay the crazy high prizes for modern Leica M's or the Leica digital cameras :thumbs:

And maybe later, if I really like what I can get from an S1 I always can add some native L-mount lenses if I need/like.
The only thing I’d caution is that Steve Huff mostly uses Voigtlander lenses and they generally have worked well on most cameras. I owned the CV 21/1.8, 28/2, 35/1.2v2 (still own this lens), and 50/1.5 in M-mount across time. The 21/1.8 and the 35/1.2v2 performed more or less flawlessly with the Sony cameras (even without a sensor stack conversion) IMO. The issue was with my aspherical Leica lenses that just didn’t work all that well. I owned the 24 Elmar, 35 Cron v5, 50 Lux, and 90 Pre-AA (which was excellent). The Zeiss ZM 50/2 Planar was also excellent on the Sony so it too is a great option that shouldn’t present issues if you adapt.

I’d be interested to see how all of those lenses performed but I’ve already read elsewhere that lens EXIF data and profiles don’t transfer across to the Panasonic with the Leica M to L adapter due to Leica M lens profiles not being built into the Panasonic firmware. Just something to consider if you decide to go this route. Maybe buy an inexpensive M to L adapter (if your dealer doesn’t carry them) to test your M lenses on the LUMIX S prior to purchase.

As for native L-lenses there will likely be f/2 options from Sigma in the future according to their newest interviews. The Panasonic lenses seem to be excellent as well... even their f/4 zooms. I can probably get by with the 3 lenses on the market right now for most things and I wouldn’t mind adding Leica APO-Summicron in 35 and 90 over time. I still haven’t owned another 35 as good as the 35 Cron v5. It’s the one lens I was most disappoint about not working great on my Sony bodies. I reluctantly sold it but I didn’t see myself ever investing in another Leica since I was put off slightly at the time at their direction which seems to have had something of a correction lately.

Knorp

LOL... yes... in post #123 which sparked the Steve Huff comments. No worries though. It’s decent insight on his experiences.
Okay - I see. Still, that was about Leica M lenses (The Panasonic S1 with Leica M lenses. It sees in the dark), while this time it's a (High ISO test) comparison between the S1 and the SL.
Anyway, good to see L-mount products have Steve's attention ... :)

iiiNelson

Okay - I see. Still, that was about Leica M lenses (The Panasonic S1 with Leica M lenses. It sees in the dark), while this time it's a (High ISO test) comparison between the S1 and the SL.
Anyway, good to see L-mount products have Steve's attention ... :)
Yeah I know he went back to the SL, the EOS R, and a 1Dx2 not too long ago. Probably not my choices for cameras personally (though I did like the 1Dx cameras when I’ve used them in the past) but that’s not to say that any of her are bad.

A recipe for confirmation bias. Just listen to what you want to hear and don't listen to what you don't want to hear.