The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

General thoughts about S1 and/or S1R

iiiNelson

Maybe if you bought the device he is selling you would be able to. You believe him about corner performance of M lenses on the S1/S1R.
Well I believe my eyes as it applies to performance on CV lenses. I’m not in the market for ghostbuster devices though. I don’t dismiss his relevant content though because he happens to have some different hobbies. I don’t know the man personally but from everything I do know about him, he seems like a decent man... and at the end of the day his other hobbies don’t affect me.

JoelM

I don't read his blog nearly as much anymore after I discovered his theories on dead people. It is impossible to let his ideas on something that I find ridiculous not color my impression of his opinions. I think it is human nature and not necessarily a case of "just extract the parts you like" methodology.

Joel

atanabe

Does anyone here actually own an S1 or S1R?
Algrove, I went to WPPI in February and played with the camera extensively over two days. I found the version of software at the time a bit buggy but really almost there. At the same time I tried all the others, Nikon Z, Canon R and Sony, but I kept going to the Panasonic. The lure of using the Leica L mount glass? The promise of Sigma Art lenses? I am a sucker for Leica glass and in the end wanted to be able to use my M glass on an image stabilized full frame body. While the Leica SL is a prime candidate for M glass, it lacked image stabilization and the cost was 2x more. I tried the Sony A7rIII with my 21 Summilux and the edges smeared so that knocked it off the list, Nikon Z, did not try with the M glass, no adapter readily available. Canon R, no in body IS and no adapter readily available.

Last weekend, Camera West had a launch event for the S1/S1r which I attended. The cameras were on v1.0 software and I was able to try it out with my M glass via the Leica T-M adapter. The camera behaved as I wanted it to, the edges had the same edge response as the M10 with the 21 Summilux. I ended up buying the S1 and 24-105 kit. Why? because it punched the most items off of my list. The L mount opens up a large number of high quality lenses, adapters to the Leica S lenses and M lenses all on an image stabilized platform. I opted to get the lower resolution body for two reasons, better high ISO performance and optimal file size for most of the subjects. I can opt for the high res multi shot for times that I really need that much resolution.

SrMphoto

Lloyd Chambers is putting S1R through its paces and found quite a few issues. I am not a subscriber and do not buy everything he says, but so far I have not seen any other thorough analysis of the system yet. Here are his objections:

- M glass does not work well on S1R
- XQD card problems
- issues with manual focus

He has also plenty of good things to say about S1R, it seems.

jdphoto

Algrove, I went to WPPI in February and played with the camera extensively over two days. I found the version of software at the time a bit buggy but really almost there. At the same time I tried all the others, Nikon Z, Canon R and Sony, but I kept going to the Panasonic. The lure of using the Leica L mount glass? The promise of Sigma Art lenses? I am a sucker for Leica glass and in the end wanted to be able to use my M glass on an image stabilized full frame body. While the Leica SL is a prime candidate for M glass, it lacked image stabilization and the cost was 2x more. I tried the Sony A7rIII with my 21 Summilux and the edges smeared so that knocked it off the list, Nikon Z, did not try with the M glass, no adapter readily available. Canon R, no in body IS and no adapter readily available.

Last weekend, Camera West had a launch event for the S1/S1r which I attended. The cameras were on v1.0 software and I was able to try it out with my M glass via the Leica T-M adapter. The camera behaved as I wanted it to, the edges had the same edge response as the M10 with the 21 Summilux. I ended up buying the S1 and 24-105 kit. Why? because it punched the most items off of my list. The L mount opens up a large number of high quality lenses, adapters to the Leica S lenses and M lenses all on an image stabilized platform. I opted to get the lower resolution body for two reasons, better high ISO performance and optimal file size for most of the subjects. I can opt for the high res multi shot for times that I really need that much resolution.
Although, you've already purchased the S1, you might have wanted to wait on the M to Z adapter. I have the Novoflex M to Z and R to Z adapter on a Z7. I can say with enthusiasm that it's the best mirrorless for adapting M lenses I've ever used because of the very thin sensor stack. The ergonomics and weight are imo, much better than any Leica digital with IBIS, EFCS, peaking and zoom. Using f0.95 glass on this camera is amazing and accurate The 28mm Elmarit M, and 50mm 1.4 Lux are excellent on the Z.

atanabe

Although, you've already purchased the S1, you might have wanted to wait on the M to Z adapter. I have the Novoflex M to Z and R to Z adapter on a Z7. I can say with enthusiasm that it's the best mirrorless for adapting M lenses I've ever used because of the very thin sensor stack. The ergonomics and weight are imo, much better than any Leica digital with IBIS, EFCS, peaking and zoom. Using f0.95 glass on this camera is amazing and accurate The 28mm Elmarit M, and 50mm 1.4 Lux are excellent on the Z.
To date, the only mount that I can use my Leica S glass on is the L mount and that played a big factor in the decision. I am not trying to convert others, just going over my reasons for the purchase. When Sigma releases their Foveon camera next year, that will also be considered. But for now, instead of waiting for the “if only it had this...” camera, I bought what I felt had features important to me, to use today.

jdphoto

To date, the only mount that I can use my Leica S glass on is the L mount and that played a big factor in the decision. I am not trying to convert others, just going over my reasons for the purchase. When Sigma releases their Foveon camera next year, that will also be considered. But for now, instead of waiting for the “if only it had this...” camera, I bought what I felt had features important to me, to use today.
Now that makes sense. Enjoy your camera!

I don’t dismiss his relevant content though because he happens to have some different hobbies. I don’t know the man personally but from everything I do know about him, he seems like a decent man... and at the end of the day his other hobbies don’t affect me.
Since when is defrauding gullible people a hobby?

iiiNelson

Since when is defrauding gullible people a hobby?
I don’t know who he’s defrauding personally... I’ve said repeatedly - I don’t pay attention to ANY of that stuff. Maybe others do but I choose not to. It’s simple as that for me.

If you want to choose to continue dragging this man’s other interests down then please do it in another place and with other people. I’m not interested in his other hobbies. Im not interested in passing judgments on him. I’m interested in culminating various camera opinions here and that’s all. the negativity here is why I took an extensive break from this forum. I would appreciate if you can respect that.

Thank you in advance.

Paratom

I read in another forum that the AF of the S lenses does not work on the S1/S1r. The f-stop seem to work though.
I own the adapter and the S lenses work on the SL but the focus speed is slow compared to S lenses on the S or compared to SL lenses on the SL, but at least they auto focus on the SL.

NRKStudio

The S1r is really v serious rig for adapted M glass. My close fam member has a Z7 which I use, I have an A7r3/m10-p and I just rented the S1r for a couple weeks. I’d venture to bet that the S1r has the exact sensor/micro lens (coverglass) as the SL2 will have. I’ve so far tried the 50 APO, 50/.95 Noct, 28 Lux, plus the D35 ZM and they are screaming on the S1r. Still corners appear better on the M10, but that’s most likely due to crop of its sensor. The Z7 handled the D35 very well, but not so well the 50 APO and 28 Lux. I have only compared by switching the same SD card out b/w cameras (except Z7) and photographing pictures on my refrigerator, but I am just so impressed with the S1R.

I almost feel like I’m holding the SL2 :)

NRKStudio

The S1r is really v serious rig for adapted M glass. My close fam member has a Z7 which I use, I have an A7r3/m10-p and I just rented the S1r for a couple weeks. I’d venture to bet that the S1r has the exact sensor/micro lens (coverglass) as the SL2 will have. I’ve so far tried the 50 APO, 50/.95 Noct, 28 Lux, plus the D35 ZM and they are screaming on the S1r. Still corners appear better on the M10, but that’s most likely due to crop of its sensor. The Z7 handled the D35 very well, but not so well the 50 APO and 28 Lux. I have only compared by switching the same SD card out b/w cameras (except Z7) and photographing pictures on my refrigerator, but I am just so impressed with the S1R.

I almost feel like I’m holding the SL2 :)
Also, do you experience viewfinder choppiness in magnified view on the Z7? It’s v distracting when using the focus magnifier on the Z7 on MF with M glass. Even the Sony is much smoother.

NRKStudio

So he's pissed off because he wasn't invited to the party?

Honestly, he lists every area where the S1/R is superior to one or more other cameras and finds a disadvantage. He also keeps repeating that only three lenses are available, which is an outright lie. There's a reason why Panasonic joined forces with Leica.

Here's an example:
He complains about the 180fps 1080p, and it isn't perfect. But how many non-Panasonic cameras below $5,000 offer 180fps 1080p?

Sorry, the guy is nothing but a Youtube clown, and I'm ashamed that I listened to his drivel for more than 15 minutes.
Lol! You should read the comments, they are really calling him out on the lies. He even puts a non-S Panasonic on the table to try to confuse people into believing he has used the camera!

gerald.d

Hi all -

Ok. So I’m at the stage of reading the S1R manual which usually means a purchase is imminent. Also, I have just ordered the Kipon M645SL adapter to enable me to attach the camera to my CAPcam.

I asked a question earlier about the high resolution functionality of the S1R, and whether in the future it might be possible that Panasonic would introduce the ability to set a delay between each of the 8 frames so that this function could be used with strobes.

But reading the manual something hit me - High Resoltion mode is detailed as being available with Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual exposure modes.

Since in my environment I have complete control over ambient light, presumably if I were to use manual mode and set the shutter speed to, say, half a second, then the camera would expose for 0.5 seconds for each of the 8 frames, thus giving my Profotos time to recharge.

Can anyone confirm whether I have understood this correctly?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit

Bugger. High res mode uses the electronic shutter, which cannot be used with flash :(