Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

    Hi Everyone
    Here is a small piece on the new summicron.

    My thoughts on the new lens

    All the best to all the best!

    Just this guy you know
    Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    4,727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Here is a small piece on the new summicron.

    My thoughts on the new lens

    All the best to all the best!
    Super review Jono! As always.

    But what this shows me is a trend contra the fact that we started seeing all these BIG mirrorless FF lenses. This lens seems to be not small, but it at least is much smaller than the 1.4 counterparts (comparing mostly to the 1.4/50 lenses from Leica and Panasonic). This makes me hope that one can build a FF mirrorless system also with reasonable size.

    The M APO 2/90 2/75 and 2/35 were already a killer combination for me, so I assume that this new 2.0 APO lens line for the L-mount will be pretty similar, while a bit bigger but with AF. This makes me hope that one day I will be mature to get back to the SL (or at least a L-mount camera) with such lenses.
    Last edited by ptomsu; 28th February 2019 at 18:08.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Super review Jono! As always.

    But what this shows me is a trend contra the fact that we started seeing all these BIG mirrorless FF lenses. This lens seems to be not small, but it at least is much smaller than the 1.4 counterparts (comparing mostly to the 1.4/50 lenses from Leica and Panasonic). This makes me hope that one can build a FF mirrorless system also with reasonable size.

    The M APO 2/90 2/75 and 2/35 were already a killer combination for me, so I assume that this new 2.0 APO lens line for the L-mount will be pretty similar, while a bit bigger but with AF. This makes me hope that one day I will be mature to get back to the SL (or at least a L-mount camera) with such lenses.
    Did you see the reporting on the newer Nikon lenses being shown at CP+? They look to be comparable in size to the Panasonic, Leica, and Sigma lenses.

    They look to be pretty large too. I think it's a matter of "future proofing" so that "no one gets caught with their pants down" like when the D800 was released but few of the lenses were up to the challenge optically. This has also been the trend even in Micro 4/3 in that the best lenses are significantly larger than the early lenses but are still relatively small compared to cameras with larger sensors.

    https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the...-2-8-z-lenses/

    That being said, I think this is going to be the way things are early on as it's usually enthusiasts and pros that adopt new systems early. They're likely building products for that demographic first to offset development costs I'd assume. The more consumer-friendly lines will likely come in time but I imagine we are going to see everyone introduce their best designs for now.

    I assume the APO-Summicron line will be better than the M versions similar to how the R versions were. Theoretically, it should be easier to design a lens for the L-mount that surpasses the M-mount versions. In any case, I'll keep my eye on the 35 APO-Summicron should I invest into the Panasonic bodies... the 5th generation M version is my all-time favorite 35mm of all time. Still, haven't found anything that surpasses it for me but the Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon gets me close enough to being satisfied with the optical performance.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Here is a small piece on the new summicron.

    My thoughts on the new lens

    All the best to all the best!
    Thanks for sharing.

    The 35 APO-Cron seems to have everything I loved about the M version and more judging by your shots. The M version was good enough that I sold my 35 Lux in exchange for the 35 Cron and the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II and still had money left over afterwards.

    I have no doubt the lens will be uber expensive but judging by the lowlight capability of the newest Panasonic/TowerJazz sensors which seem to be useable up to ISO 51,200 for actual photography, the f/2 aperture may not matter much for most things.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Super review Jono! As always.

    But what this shows me is a trend contra the fact that we started seeing all these BIG mirrorless FF lenses. This lens seems to be not small, but it at least is much smaller than the 1.4 counterparts (comparing mostly to the 1.4/50 lenses from Leica and Panasonic). This makes me hope that one can build a FF mirrorless system also with reasonable size.

    The M APO 2/90 2/75 and 2/35 were already a killer combination for me, so I assume that this new 2.0 APO lens line for the L-mount will be pretty similar, while a bit bigger but with AF. This makes me hope that one day I will be mature to get back to the SL (or at least a L-mount camera) with such lenses.
    Thank You!
    They are certainly manageable, I think they are a significant step up on the APO M lenses - they are slightly expensive though!

    All the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph . . My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

    The 35 APO-Cron seems to have everything I loved about the M version and more judging by your shots. The M version was good enough that I sold my 35 Lux in exchange for the 35 Cron and the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II and still had money left over afterwards.

    I have no doubt the lens will be uber expensive but judging by the lowlight capability of the newest Panasonic/TowerJazz sensors which seem to be useable up to ISO 51,200 for actual photography, the f/2 aperture may not matter much for most things.
    I quite agree Tre - the bokeh, and especially the transition is much nicer on these lenses than on their M equivalents, but I think Leica are really hitting the nail on the head by making f2 lenses as good as they can possibly be, and this seems to be it.

    and as you say, with modern high iso values f2 is not such a handicap.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •