The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma FF L-mount Foveon Camera

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sigma finally introduced the development of their FF L-mount Foveon camera.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/bi...-2020-and-feature-a-new-609-megapixel-sensor/

It will happen only 2020 but at least that could be a perfect camera by the time it is coming. At least I hope so and it is not plagued by the mediocre support of RAW converters as the first Foveon cameras always were and also gets much faster and can do 4k video .... at least there is hope :thumbup:

ggibson

Good news! I'm always interested in new Sigma cameras with their unique sensors. It seems they will return to a 3x layer sensor that is 20MP per layer! Good news for those who disliked the Quattro output. Personally, I liked it overall but felt was somewhat of "two steps forward, one step back." Hopefully Sigma can at least keep the color improvements they made in the Quattro sensor design.

I wonder what this means for the DP lineup also. I would love to see a full-frame DP, but only if they can keep the size reasonable.

scho

Sigma finally introduced the development of their FF L-mount Foveon camera.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/bi...-2020-and-feature-a-new-609-megapixel-sensor/

It will happen only 2020 but at least that could be a perfect camera by the time it is coming. At least I hope so and it is not plagued by the mediocre support of RAW converters as the first Foveon cameras always were and also gets much faster and can do 4k video .... at least there is hope :thumbup:
OK, 2020 is here. Bring it on Sigma! I've dragged out my old DP2M and SD1M to make images with the foveon 1:1:1 flavor in anticipation of what could be coming this year in a full frame version - can't wait!

bensonga

I've been making 13x19 and 17x25 inch prints from some of my sd Quattro images recently. I'm really happy with the prints, but I've also been thinking of how much more a FF Foveon sensor/camera could deliver re image/print quality.

Gary

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I go out right now and make a pixel shift capture with the S1R of a still scene, isn't that the same file quality as a Foveon image? It's just true RGB capture right?

gerald.d

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I go out right now and make a pixel shift capture with the S1R of a still scene, isn't that the same file quality as a Foveon image? It's just true RGB capture right?
No, the S1R pixel-shift produces a file with 4x the pixels as the sensor size.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

iiiNelson

Kind of but not really. The sensor shift can’t be used to simultaneously capture all of the color data in a singular exposure. This limits the effectiveness of this mode to a tripod with mostly stationary subjects.

No, the S1R pixel-shift produces a file with 4x the pixels as the sensor size.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Kind of but not really. The LUMIX S Cameras take multiple exposures by shifting the sensor by one pixel with each shift in order to more accurately read all of the color data based on the alignment of the Bayer sensor filter. It takes multiple exposures but the imaging areas isn’t technically four times the size. The file clarity and detail from imaging all of the color data allows the camera to scale at a higher level without a huge degradation in IQ.