The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with S1/s1r

gerald.d

This was just a test shot, but I wanted to see how high resolution mode coped with a particular type of moving object...

Exposure set at 1 second, lit with continuous LED.

Note that the watch second hand moves in a continual sweep (it doesn't "tick" at all).

Somehow the algorithm managed to create an image the only showed the second hand for a single one of the 8 separate exposures.

Crop detail...

I'm not entirely sure what witchcraft is behind this, but I'm impressed.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paratom

Hi Gerald, just out of curiosity - for what application do you need/use such high resolution images?
Tom

iiiNelson

This was just a test shot, but I wanted to see how high resolution mode coped with a particular type of moving object...

Note that the watch second hand moves in a continual sweep (it doesn't "tick" at all).

Somehow the algorithm managed to create an image the only showed the second hand for a single one of the 8 separate exposures.

Crop detail...

Kind regards,

Gerald.
No witchcraft... they just subtract the parts of the frame that aren’t needed to keep the focus sharp across the frame for the image stack.

gerald.d

No witchcraft... they just subtract the parts of the frame that aren’t needed to keep the focus sharp across the frame for the image stack.
Except it is a lot more complicated than that.

If that was all there was to it, the second hand wouldn’t be visible at all.

bensonga

Beautiful watch and impressive detail in the images Gerald. Is this a new, yet to be released model? I could not find it on the Grand-Seiko.com website, even in the section which showed all previous models/editions.

Gary

Crop detail...

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Robert Campbell

Crop detail...

Kind regards,

Gerald.
The UK's Amateur Photography did a test of the S1R a couple of months ago. They took a series at Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling's house in Sussex, on a blustery day, to see how effective a series was when there were moving objects, in this case the branches of a tree. They used High Resolution Mode 2. They also described the remarkable effect as 'witchcraft'.

The report is here:

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/panasonic-lumix-s1r

Page 7 has the results.

gerald.d

Beautiful watch and impressive detail in the images Gerald. Is this a new, yet to be released model? I could not find it on the Grand-Seiko.com website, even in the section which showed all previous models/editions.

Gary
Hi Gary -

No, this is an old model. Discontinued some years ago.

SBGB001.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

The UK's Amateur Photography did a test of the S1R a couple of months ago. They took a series at Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling's house in Sussex, on a blustery day, to see how effective a series was when there were moving objects, in this case the branches of a tree. They used High Resolution Mode 2. They also described the remarkable effect as 'witchcraft'.

The report is here:

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/panasonic-lumix-s1r

Page 7 has the results.
Many thanks for the link - I’ll check it out now.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

Testing out the timelapse mode.

4k video produced in-camera. 1440 images, one every minute, for 24 hours.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried out one today with the "kit zoom". I can only say WOW. That viewfinder sails circles around anything. With an f/4 lens in a dimly lit room, the viewfinder image still looks like... I hate to say this... real life, only brighter. It's a very impressive camera, and since they seem to have fixed the on/off switch and the LCD on the "H" model, I might be ready for Mark II :toocool: