The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with S1/s1r

jeffreybehr

Here are a couple I shot yesterday in the afternoon HEAT* in my favorite local spot, both with S1R, Zeiss Milvus 18mm and Sigma adapter.. This lens is the best UWA of the few I've shot which include two Canon 16-35s (the F4 and the F2.8/III) and a 24mm TS-E.. This ZM18 is considerably better, overall, than the Canons.. I've fantasized about buying the Leica 16-36/SL, but I don't happen to have $5500 lying about**.. The Sigma L-mount 14-24 apparently will be shipping in a week or two (?); I have one parked in my B&H shoppingcart, but I've not yet pushed the Order button.

The first pic is an HRM, cropped top and bottom (and still almost 17000 by 9000 pixels), while the pool pic was handheld.

Altho this ZM18 is not the first UWA prime I've owned in my 20 years, I'm having to relearn to 'see' in such short focal lengths.. For instance, several times I bent over, saw a scene I wanted to shoot, parked myself on my butt, and then discovered I was too far away from it.. :eek: For the water-feature shot below, I was only about 6" (15cm) short of being IN the pool.

* and it's HOT in Phoenix; about 110dF yesterday and maybe 115dF today.
** but I might rent it.

2019Aug19_1010835_Cortez Lake from west_2000.jpg
2019Aug19_1010857_Fountain close 1_2000w.jpg

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Here are a couple I shot yesterday in the afternoon HEAT* in my favorite local spot, both with S1R, Zeiss Milvus 18mm and Sigma adapter.. This lens is the best UWA of the few I've shot which includes two Canon 16-35s, the F4 and the F2.8/III, and and a 24mm TS-E.. Thes ZM18 is considerably better, overall, these three Canons.. I've fantasized about buying the Leica 16-36/SL, but I don't happen to have $5500 lying about**.. The Sigma L-mount 14-24 apparently will be shipping in a week or two (?); I have one parked in my B&H shoppingcart, but I've not yet pushed the Order button.

Altho this ZM18 is not the first UWA prime I've owned in my 20 years, I've having to relearn to 'see' in such short focal lengths.. For instance, several times I bent over and saw a scene I wanted to shoot, parked myself on my butt, and then discovered I was too far away from it.. :eek: For the water-feature shot above, I was only about 6" (15cm) short of being IN the pool.

* and it's HOT in Phoenix; about 110dF yesterday and maybe 115dF today.
** but I might rent it.

View attachment 143621View attachment 143622

jeffreybehr

Took the rented Tamron 15-30/2.8 G2 and the S1R out the front door the other evening, and guess what I found? Light! Color! Traffic!

2019Aug23_1010902_1530@15_Night1_2000w.jpg

2019Aug23_1010904_1530@15_Night2_2000w.jpg

Have a rented Leica SL 16-35/3.5-4.5 lens coming Monday to compare with my Zeiss Milvus 18/2.8 and the rented Tamron.. I'm rooting for the Leica; I already know the Milvus is better than the Tamron and the three Canons I had/have and also that nothing I have produces better images than the Canon TS-E50.

C_R

S1R, Sigma 14-24/2.8 1/320 sec f:2.8 ISO 100.

Got my Sigma 14-24/2.8 L-Mount - definitively a keeper.
"Only" 795 g, sharp wide open, perfect for travel/ landscape. The S1R is said to be on the heavy side, but when you come from MF (645z) it is really more portable. Will be great to have only 2,5 kg instead of 4 kg backpacked for a walk on the beach...

Carsten
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38068178@N08/

iiiNelson

Just bought a S1R and 24-105 kit. Should be here on Tuesday so we will see how it works out for me. If it doesn’t (which I hope it’s not the case at this point) then it’ll go back.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just bought a S1R and 24-105 kit. Should be here on Tuesday so we will see how it works out for me. If it doesn’t (which I hope it’s not the case at this point) then it’ll go back.
Very interested in your findings

Peter

iiiNelson

Very interested in your findings

Peter
Yeah... So I sorta ran into a Black Friday deal that I couldn’t pass on from an authorized retailer on a Panasonic S1R Kit (S1R + 24-105/4 for those that aren’t sure). It was a very limited time “impulse” purchase (in a sense) but I’ve been looking at the LUMIX S for over a year now since first announced. Once I accepted that the Sony will likely be required to stay to serve at least as a work kit (I've already pre-ordered the Tamron 70-180/2.8) due to a better AF system then I started looking at options that I really want to use for personal photography projects. This is all brought on since Sony refuses to introduce an acceptable body design size (for me without a grip attached). I tried the A7RIV and it wasn’t really 100% for me though I’ll likely add a couple of “work bodies to my Sony work kit once the base level is “upgraded” to the new style body. As for my L-Mount kit, I will probably adapt my CV 35/1.2 (my lone remaining M mount lens) and maybe even look for a Sony A to L-Mount adapter if I can for my 135/1.8 that I never sold (my lone remaining A-Mount lens)... well at least until some time next year after this new house purchase is completed... and maybe I’ll have some Sony stuff to sell off because the LUMIX S Pro 50/1.4 is on my list of “needed” lenses too but there are also a few of Leica APO-Summicron (in 21, 35, and 90mm focal lengths) that I have my eye on.