Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with S1/s1r

one more (with the Pana 24-105):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom!

Colours are really great IMO, and that 90-280 shines, but actually also the kit lens

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the camera works.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Thanks Tom!

Colours are really great IMO, and that 90-280 shines, but actually also the kit lens
    So far the 24-105 seems pretty good.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Looks like the camera works.
    Yes, like most cameras today I think its nice that the Pana and Leica and Sigma share the mount, even though I am not so interested in Sigma lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Paratom

What are your first impressions of using it? Good solid feel and easy to get to grips with? It's an interesting camera for sure.

Mat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Paratom

What are your first impressions of using it? Good solid feel and easy to get to grips with? It's an interesting camera for sure.

Mat
    First time I saw it and hold it in hand I thought that its too thick and the grip is too large (for my hands) and left the store without buying. After further consideration (because I own SL lenses) I went back to the store with more time and also the SL to compare and decided to give it a try. After using it some days I actually dont find it too fat any more. It sits very good in my hand. Also most buttons are very good to access. It takes some time to figure out all the functions but overall most buttons are labeled and easy to use. The AF offers more functions and better people/face detection over the SL. The shutter is well damped. After some days and setting the camera up to my taste I allready feel at home and its really fast and good to use. IQ looks good to me so far as well. I havent done any high ISO test - I have shot it mainly in good light and low ISO so far. SO far I enjoy it - and I dont think it is just the "new toy"-factor.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts, I may pick one up next week and have a play around, it's the first mirrorless full frame that has interested me from a size/build point of view. I hope you enjoy using it.

Mat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, I may pick one up next week and have a play around, it's the first mirrorless full frame that has interested me from a size/build point of view. I hope you enjoy using it.

Mat
    I certainly like it so far but user interface. Looking forward to hear your impressions.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here we go....

Will be a while before I get everything sorted out, but at least the physical side of the challenge has been completed

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Ok, here we go....

Will be a while before I get everything sorted out, but at least the physical side of the challenge has been completed

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Wow, what is it ?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Wow, what is it ?
    The camera is a CAPcam - a computerised view camera. Details here -

https://www.capcam.org/

In normal use, the camera is designed to be used with Medium Format Digital Backs.

I had an adapter plate manufactured that has a Mamiya 645 lens mount on it - this allows me through the use of lens adapters to mount all sorts of cameras on the back of the CAPcam to use their sensors and shutters in place of my Phase One back. The initial drive for doing this was so that I could start shooting video, but with the release of the S1R, I realised that maybe I could replace the Phase One for stills as well.

Currently it's very much a work in progress set-up (just started playing with it all this morning). The CAPcam software cannot read the RAW from the Panasonic, and whilst it should be able to read a JPEG, it's not working. They are looking into this for me.

So what I have to do at the moment (if I want to set tilt and swing) is a little bizarre - I set everything up using a Sony A7III (whose files the software can read), then take that off the CAPcam and attach the Panasonic.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In normal use, the camera is designed to be used with Medium Format Digital Backs.

I had an adapter plate manufactured that has a Mamiya 645 lens mount on it - this allows me through the use of lens adapters to mount all sorts of cameras on the back of the CAPcam to use their sensors and shutters in place of my Phase One back. The initial drive for doing this was so that I could start shooting video, but with the release of the S1R, I realised that maybe I could replace the Phase One for stills as well.

Currently it's very much a work in progress set-up (just started playing with it all this morning). The CAPcam software cannot read the RAW from the Panasonic, and whilst it should be able to read a JPEG, it's not working. They are looking into this for me.

So what I have to do at the moment (if I want to set tilt and swing) is a little bizarre - I set everything up using a Sony A7III (whose files the software can read), then take that off the CAPcam and attach the Panasonic.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Very interesting. What are the black rods sticking out at the back? Rays of death? Strobes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Very interesting. What are the black rods sticking out at the back? Rays of death? Strobes?
    The fundamental design of the camera is based on a hexapod.

Those black rods are three pairs of motors that position the front standard.

You can see an earlier example of the camera “naked” here -

https://www.capcam.org/capcam-history/

(The production camera didn’t utilize the hexapod base.)

Kind regards,

Gerald

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I believe that in the original design, they were indeed, "rays of death". However, after many meetings, the committee decided to go the other direction as Gerald has indicated.

Joel
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Very interesting set-up, certainly not for the casual macro shooter Looking forward to see some of the magical results you can get with a tool like this.

I'm just curious (no plans from me to get into this kind of macro shooting) but I'm wondering what's the advantage of trying to use a Panasonic camera (on jpeg only) vs. just sticking with the Sony cameras that seem to work for both jpeg's and raw's?
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Very interesting set-up, certainly not for the casual macro shooter Looking forward to see some of the magical results you can get with a tool like this.

I'm just curious (no plans from me to get into this kind of macro shooting) but I'm wondering what's the advantage of trying to use a Panasonic camera (on jpeg only) vs. just sticking with the Sony cameras that seem to work for both jpeg's and raw's?
    Apologies for not explaining clearly - the CAPCam software needs to be able to display an image in order that I can set focus correctly. It’s not used for anything other than that - I still shoot the RAW for processing.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apologies for not explaining clearly - the CAPCam software needs to be able to display an image in order that I can set focus correctly. It’s not used for anything other than that - I still shoot the RAW for processing.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Very interesting concept, and I suppose the S1R with its multishot ability is more or less ideal for this. I watched one of their tutorials, and it's quite impressive. What's the price of this device?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so here is the first semi-serious attempt at getting a decent shot from the S1R mounted on the CAPcam.

This is a high resolution shot, four images focus stacked.

With the S1R unable to shoot high resolution with strobes, I relied on a single Rosco Litepad for illumination with my own custom light modification set-up. Obviously these are not as bright as strobes and with ISO at 50 and the lens (Schneider APO Digitar 5.6/120 Aspheric) at f/8, shutter speed was forced to 1 second for an exposure that was underexposed about half a stop.

Lens focal plane was both swung and tilted by about 16 degrees on each axis (I had to set this up first with my Sony A7iii since, as explained earlier, currently the CAPcam software is unable to read the files from the Panasonic).

This was very much a case of testing the current workflow, and I didn't pay any attention to lighting the case of the watch, purely interested in nailing the dial as best I could.

Four images processed very lightly through Capture One, then stacked in Helicon focus.

Here are some 800x1000px crops from the full frame shown above (I say full frame - I tend to crop everything to 4x5 ratio)

All in all, fairly happy with the way this turned out for a first test, but I think the Panasonic is pushing the Schneider beyond its limits here. I have plans to replace the Schneider with the Rodenstock 5.6/105mm in the hopefully not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This was just a test shot, but I wanted to see how high resolution mode coped with a particular type of moving object...

Exposure set at 1 second, lit with continuous LED.

Note that the watch second hand moves in a continual sweep (it doesn't "tick" at all).

Somehow the algorithm managed to create an image the only showed the second hand for a single one of the 8 separate exposures.

Crop detail...

I'm not entirely sure what witchcraft is behind this, but I'm impressed.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gerald, just out of curiosity - for what application do you need/use such high resolution images?
    Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This was just a test shot, but I wanted to see how high resolution mode coped with a particular type of moving object...

Note that the watch second hand moves in a continual sweep (it doesn't "tick" at all).

Somehow the algorithm managed to create an image the only showed the second hand for a single one of the 8 separate exposures.

Crop detail...

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    No witchcraft... they just subtract the parts of the frame that aren’t needed to keep the focus sharp across the frame for the image stack.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    No witchcraft... they just subtract the parts of the frame that aren’t needed to keep the focus sharp across the frame for the image stack.
    Except it is a lot more complicated than that.

If that was all there was to it, the second hand wouldn’t be visible at all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Except it is a lot more complicated than that.

If that was all there was to it, the second hand wouldn’t be visible at all.
    Were you in mode 2 or mode 1?
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Were you in mode 2 or mode 1?
    Based on what i've read about the camera, Id assume on Mode 2?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

two more with 90-280
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest graduated from college today.

5 image handheld pano w S1R

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE637284-2EAA-4A69-A8C3-687DB2CEAC9A.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	674.3 KB 
ID:	141290

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful watch and impressive detail in the images Gerald. Is this a new, yet to be released model? I could not find it on the Grand-Seiko.com website, even in the section which showed all previous models/editions.

Gary

Crop detail...

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crop detail...

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    The UK's Amateur Photography did a test of the S1R a couple of months ago. They took a series at Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling's house in Sussex, on a blustery day, to see how effective a series was when there were moving objects, in this case the branches of a tree. They used High Resolution Mode 2. They also described the remarkable effect as 'witchcraft'.

The report is here:

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...onic-lumix-s1r

Page 7 has the results.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Beautiful watch and impressive detail in the images Gerald. Is this a new, yet to be released model? I could not find it on the Grand-Seiko.com website, even in the section which showed all previous models/editions.

Gary
    Hi Gary -

No, this is an old model. Discontinued some years ago.

SBGB001.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    The UK's Amateur Photography did a test of the S1R a couple of months ago. They took a series at Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling's house in Sussex, on a blustery day, to see how effective a series was when there were moving objects, in this case the branches of a tree. They used High Resolution Mode 2. They also described the remarkable effect as 'witchcraft'.

The report is here:

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...onic-lumix-s1r

Page 7 has the results.
    Many thanks for the link - I’ll check it out now.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Testing out the timelapse mode.

4k video produced in-camera. 1440 images, one every minute, for 24 hours.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tried out one today with the "kit zoom". I can only say WOW. That viewfinder sails circles around anything. With an f/4 lens in a dimly lit room, the viewfinder image still looks like... I hate to say this... real life, only brighter. It's a very impressive camera, and since they seem to have fixed the on/off switch and the LCD on the "H" model, I might be ready for Mark II