The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with Panasonic Lumix S1R and adapter purchase

Greg Haag

I am about at the point of pulling the trigger on purchasing the Panasonic Lumix S1R along with a couple of adaptors. On the camera, I am thinking about purchasing it with the kit lens to have a basic zoom native to the camera, all my other lenses are primes. In addition to that I am looking at 2 adapters, a Leica S to L and Canon EF to L (for 24mm Tilt Shift). Any insight as to the camera or adapters would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Panasonic.jpg

iiiNelson

I am about at the point of pulling the trigger on purchasing the Panasonic Lumix S1R along with a couple of adaptors. On the camera, I am thinking about purchasing it with the kit lens to have a basic zoom native to the camera, all my other lenses are primes. In addition to that I am looking at 2 adapters, a Leica S to L and Canon EF to L (for 24mm Tilt Shift). Any insight as to the camera or adapters would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg

View attachment 141089
You'll get better support with the Sigma MC21 than the Novoflex adapter.

flash

You'll get better support with the Sigma MC21 than the Novoflex adapter.
Actually, with manual focus lenses, like the 24TS the OP mentioned you'll get exactly the same support. It's only AF that the Novoflex adaptor doesn't support. Auto exposure and exif transfer for IBIS work fine.

The Sigma adaptor will provide AF with Sigma EF lenses and probably Canon as well and it will be cheaper, by some margin.

The S to L adaptor also does not provide AF on the S1R or S1 but does on the Leica SL. Same as the Novoflex EF and Nikon E adaptors.

I have both the adaptors you have listed and they work fine if you're not needing AF.

Gordon

iiiNelson

Actually, with manual focus lenses, like the 24TS the OP mentioned you'll get exactly the same support. It's only AF that the Novoflex adaptor doesn't support. Auto exposure and exif transfer for IBIS work fine.

The Sigma adaptor will provide AF with Sigma EF lenses and probably Canon as well and it will be cheaper, by some margin.

The S to L adaptor also does not provide AF on the S1R or S1 but does on the Leica SL. Same as the Novoflex EF and Nikon E adaptors.

I have both the adaptors you have listed and they work fine if you're not needing AF.

Gordon
The bigger issue is that the L-Mount lens protocol has changed... or rather was updated. Someone wrote an email to Novoflex and shared the response online which stated (to paraphrase) that Novoflex had no plans to update the software in their adapter. Sigma, being an L-Mount Alliance member, obviously will not have that issue hence my comment. I don’t know that he ONLY plans to ever use manual lenses but if there are plans to one day possibly use AF lenses the. sigma adds flexibility.

Greg Haag

Thanks to both of you for you help and insights, it provides some clarity for me! Any insights regarding the camera you would be able to share would be great. The high res mode combined with ability to use tilt/shift lens are the primary features that drew my attention to this camera.
Thanks again,
Greg

Greg Haag

As an update here, I got the Sigma Converter Canon EF to L Mount in this weekend and have not had much time to test it, but so far it has worked as expected. This solves a problem for me, in high res mode it generates a 16,736 x 11,168 pixel file and allows the use of my Canon 24mm tilt/shift. I also shot a few images with my Canon 17-40 and both aperture and focus work normally. As an additional note, I just tried my Canon 100-400 with 1.4x extender and Sigma Converter and both aperture and focus appear to work.
Thanks for your help,
Greg

alen

As an update here, I got the Sigma Converter Canon EF to L Mount in this weekend and have not had much time to test it, but so far it has worked as expected. This solves a problem for me, in high res mode it generates a 16,736 x 11,168 pixel file and allows the use of my Canon 24mm tilt/shift. I also shot a few images with my Canon 17-40 and both aperture and focus work normally. As an additional note, I just tried my Canon 100-400 with 1.4x extender and Sigma Converter and both aperture and focus appear to work.
Thanks for your help,
Greg
Nice, good to hear!

Hows the resolution using the TS lens in high res mode? Got any examples, or 100% crops you can share?