The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma FP Development Announcement

iiiNelson

Interesting camera and Sigma is introducing some camera product diversity amongst the L-Mount offerings. Camera will be available in the Fall and it looks like it’ll compete directly with the Canon RP, rumored Z5, and the older Sony models.

Highlights include an all electronic shutter without mechanical shutter included and a simple interface with discrete dials/switches/buttons to jump between photo and cine modes. Also it’ll be the smallest FF camera but it looks like there will be room for potential modular expansion... well I hope this is the case but in any case. It’s interesting for sure. No word on pricing yet but if they can get this body out with the 45/2.8 included in the $1500-2000 range then Sigma (and L-mount by extension) will have a potential real hit on their hands.

Lastly this is a Bayer Array sensor and the Foveon sensor won’t come until next year.

https://www.l-rumors.com/new-info-and-first-images-of-the-full-frame-foveon-l-mount-camera-named-fp/

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This might be the most interesting camera release since the Panasonic G1. Hopefully it has a great user interface.

iiiNelson

This might be the most interesting camera release since the Panasonic G1. Hopefully it has a great user interface.
Maybe for some. Sigma cameras have always been known to be slightly “quirky” but when people like them they tend to love them. I’m just excited about all the new options that are tackling niches that maybe other camera makers overlook. It’s one of the things I’ve liked about Sony/Minolta, Panasonic, and to some extent Leica too.

This looks like it could potentially be a direct BMPCC4K competitor as well if priced accordingly. I hope they don’t repeat the mistakes of the old like they did with the SD1 and price it out of reach for its potential market. It would make sense for Sigma to target the entry level and enthusiast market since it seems that Panasonic doesn’t want to cannibalize Micro 4/3 on price and Leica is pricing their entry level L-mount cameras similarly to other makers pro FF cameras. L-mount is wide open in that $1,000-2,500 range and it’ll make sense for Sigma to offer something there since many budget conscious buyers will already be looking closely as their native lens/adapted lens options IMO. Like I said above, this body paired with the 45/2.8 would be an excellent compact travel option. If they could put out a decently small 21/4 and 100/3.5 or so (also in their Contemporary line) it would be a nice compact kit.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Very interesting camera indeed!

What I am missing so far is obviously attachable EVF - but that might be no longer needed for video anyway - but well for me it is kid of a mandatory thing ....

But maybe it will come as accessory 😎

iiiNelson

Very interesting camera indeed!

What I am missing so far is obviously attachable EVF - but that might be no longer needed for video anyway - but well for me it is kid of a mandatory thing ....

But maybe it will come as accessory 😎
Maybe but I haven’t seen one mentioned yet. I think this is a budget photography and video oriented model but it’ll also be CDAF only if that matters to you. It seems like you can think of this as a FF BMPCC4K with better photo ability or maybe a value oriented compact L-mount photo camera.

In the smartphone era I could argue EVF’s are becoming less important to many photographers and being honest I do find myself using the rear LCD for certain types of photography with a tilting screen. All that being said I love having an EVF with the LCD. As I said above I could see this as a nice travel camera option with the 45/2.8 just announced. If they add a compact wide and telephoto lens then that would be great for photo applications with this camera while still providing a great platform to kit up into a legitimate video rig.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe but I haven’t seen one mentioned yet. I think this is a budget photography and video oriented model but it’ll also be CDAF only if that matters to you. It seems like you can think of this as a FF BMPCC4K with better photo ability or maybe a value oriented compact L-mount photo camera.

In the smartphone era I could argue EVF’s are becoming less important to many photographers and being honest I do find myself using the rear LCD for certain types of photography with a tilting screen. All that being said I love having an EVF with the LCD. As I said above I could see this as a nice travel camera option with the 45/2.8 just announced. If they add a compact wide and telephoto lens then that would be great for photo applications with this camera while still providing a great platform to kit up into a legitimate video rig.
Agree o the above - my old cover is that this camera seems just to be a jack of may trades ad most I don't need: I need a capable and good photography camera with some good video features, but almost likely no RAW video as this just makes all my file management explode and exponentially too expensive.

Also the price could be a final issue .....

iiiNelson

Agree o the above - my old cover is that this camera seems just to be a jack of may trades ad most I don't need: I need a capable and good photography camera with some good video features, but almost likely no RAW video as this just makes all my file management explode and exponentially too expensive.

Also the price could be a final issue .....
Theres a standard .mov codec too in addition to the CinemaDNG.

Tim

The fp and moreso hopefully the Foveon version is absolutely on my radar.
Normally I am more than happy with APSC but I have an upcoming project that requires the sensor size of FF due to the lens need and constraints.
Size is paramount so this fits the bill.
I was leaning toward re-investing in the Sony FF but now that this is here will hold off.

I'll need to see samples for the IQ of course, the hard part will be resisting buying with the Foveon version which is maybe coming.

I'm a bit concerned about the electronic only shutter I will have to re-read the caveats around that for stills work.

iiiNelson

The fp and moreso hopefully the Foveon version is absolutely on my radar.
Normally I am more than happy with APSC but I have an upcoming project that requires the sensor size of FF due to the lens need and constraints.
Size is paramount so this fits the bill.
I was leaning toward re-investing in the Sony FF but now that this is here will hold off.

I'll need to see samples for the IQ of course, the hard part will be resisting buying with the Foveon version which is maybe coming.

I'm a bit concerned about the electronic only shutter I will have to re-read the caveats around that for stills work.
Sigma has stated that the Foveon would be coming in 2020. No exact time frame was given yet.

I believe that I read (but it may have been a video I watched) a bit of concerning news with the electronic shutter. The readout Time was 1/30 of a second so it’ll perform along the lines of the electronic shutters from the cameras that aren’t the A9 which has a 1/160 readout speed. Also the camera can technically shoot at 18fps but the burst is limited to 12 frames in 14-bit mode. So there are some constraints to the camera for me personally but I think for video at 24 or 30fps it may be less of a concern for many.

Interesting camera though for a particular segment. Would’ve preferred the inclusion of a mechanical shutter (at the expense of cost/size) though to mitigate potential rolling shutter issues though.

eddystone

Well it seems a lot of design is driven by the smartphone/social media generation and LCDs are their modus operandi. Which is bad for those of us old enough to have to fumble for reading glasses to be able to use the rear LCD. Not to mention bright sunlight. I wish my DP Merrills had an external EVF that could plug into the hot shoe (with dioptric correction of course).

Shashin

So, the Sigma fp is released at $1,899. This is a really interesting camera has has my interest. I would like to see some reviews of the ES for still photography. But if it performs well, not only will it make a very compact camera, it could be an interesting back for a Cambo Actus. Unfortunately, Cambo does not have an L-mount adapter for the B model, which does give me pause, but perhaps a M to L mount adapter will work.

iiiNelson

So, the Sigma fp is released at $1,899. This is a really interesting camera has has my interest. I would like to see some reviews of the ES for still photography. But if it performs well, not only will it make a very compact camera, it could be an interesting back for a Cambo Actus. Unfortunately, Cambo does not have an L-mount adapter for the B model, which does give me pause, but perhaps a M to L mount adapter will work.
I was happy to see that I wasn't too far off with my "hoped for" kit price with 45/2.8 included. I believe that this is indeed priced to sell. Looks like a decent offering/options. I look forward to seeing the reviews and impressions of a production model.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tried it a few days ago. Seems to be a great camera; good ergonomics for the size,good build quality and very, very compact.