The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Received my S1R and 24-105 Monday July 22nd

jeffreybehr

Got a grade-9 used pair from B&H; saved about $700, and they look brand new.

Looks as if the 24-105 will be my only native-L-mount lens, at least for a while.. Also bought the Sigma EF adapter, which works well with at least the two Canon TS-Es I have, the 24mm (gen.2) and the new 50 Macro (gen.3).. Also have the 16-35/4/L/IS and ordered a 100-400 II.

At the high price of extra camera batteries, even the after-market Chinese one, I'll be seeing if an EC Technology 22400mAh Power Bank USB battery will keep the internal battery charged.
https://www.amazon.com/EC-Technology-Portable-22400mAh-Capacity/dp/B00FDK2G2C

Here are a couple drive-by pics from the 24-105 today; I'm impressed.

Attachments

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Got a grade-9 used pair from B&H; saved about $700, and they look brand new.

Looks as if the 24-105 will be my only native-L-mount lens, at least for a while.. Also bought the Sigma EF adapter, which works well with at least the two Canon TS-Es I have, the 24mm (gen.2) and the new 50 Macro (gen.3).. Also have the 16-35/4/L/IS and ordered a 100-400 II.

At the high price of extra camera batteries, even the after-market Chinese one, I'll be seeing if an EC Technology 22400mAh Power Bank USB battery will keeo the internal battery charged.
https://www.amazon.com/EC-Technology-Portable-22400mAh-Capacity/dp/B00FDK2G2C

Here are a couple drive-by pics from the 24-105 today; I'm impressed.
Congrats on your camera.

jeffreybehr

FWIW, I considered buying the Pan. 70-200/4 and 1.4 extender...

...but just that lens was more expensive than the Canon 100-400II, and I expect the Canon's images will be better than those of the Pan.'s including extender.

With the S1R's very high image quality, I figured it deserved a higher-quality telezoom than the humble-but-good Canon 70-300/4-5.6/IS/II I have.

ron787

Re: FWIW, I considered buying the Pan. 70-200/4 and 1.4 extender...

...but just that lens was more expensive than the Canon 100-400II, and I expect the Canon's images will be better than those of the Pan.'s including extender.

With the S1R's very high image quality, I figured it deserved a higher-quality telezoom than the humble-but-good Canon 70-300/4-5.6/IS/II I have.
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but far from new to photography. That said, I own the S1r, as well as a bevy of Leica SL lenses in addition to the previously mentioned Panasonic 70-200mm F/4. Images acquired with the S1r and the 70-200 are sharp, at all focal lengths, from corner to corner and, while some may disagree, rival my Leica lenses at corresponding focal lengths. Furthermore, the 70-200 offers additional—so called Dual—IBIS when combined with the S1r, and this is something that non Panasonic lenses cannot accomplish.

I do not own the described Canon to compare, nor do I yet own the 1.4 Panasonic extender, but the reviews that I've encountered have suggested that there is no loss of IQ with the 1.4, but that the there is some degradation with the 2x.
Adapted lenses often bring with them issues that lenses made for a given camera do not exhibit, whereas the "L" mount lenses, such as Panasonic's own, and the Leica SL offerings, work exceptionally well.

jeffreybehr

Tested the Canon TS-Es, including the Rogeti frames for each, today

I shot horizontal-frame panos created by shifting the lenses left and right. The Rogeti frames...
https://rogeti.com/
...clamp the lens and allow the camera to shift (but not tilt).

Stitched both lens's images in PSCC. Everything worked perfectly. The resulting images of my new 'rez-test wall' are too boring to post.

A stitch from the 12-0-12 frames ended being almost 14000 pixels wide by 5500 pixels tall for 76.5MP and an AR of 2.54.. The 10-0-10 shots were almost 13000 by almost 5500 for 70.8MP and an AR of 2.36.. Even 2.36 is wider than I currently care to print, so probably I'll shoot 12-9-0-9-12s tomorrow and stitch the 9-0-9s.

The resolution of the Canon TS-E/L 50 Macro is stunning--best I've ever shot.. The 24 is slightly less so and has a touch of CA but is still excellent.

2019Jul24_+S1R + TSE50 + Rogeti_LF_1500w.jpg2019Jul24_+S1R + TSE50 + Rogeti_LR_1500w.jpg2019Jul24_+S1R + TSE50 + Rogeti_RF_1500w.jpg

jeffreybehr

Forgot to write that I ordered a Sony XQD memory card and reader

The card is a Sony G-series 64GB and the reader the QXD/SD card reader.. The latter is a small hi-speed reader that's cabled to USB3.0 and reads SD UHS-II cards too; it'll replace my SanDisk 3-slot reader that's about 4" wide..
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219034-REG/sony_mrwe90_bc1_xqd_sd_card_reader.html

The XQD card is rated to read and write at 400MB/second and is certainly the fastest card I have; I have several UHS-II SD cards rated to around 300MB/s..
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1261720-REG/sony_qdg64e_j_64gb_xqd_g_e_memory_card.html

I guess I wanted the 2nd card for that tiny extra bit of security it provides, but in 20 years with digital cameras, I've NEVER lost or had fail a solidstate* memory card.

* Back in the early days, I dropped a Compact Flash harddrive that then no longer worked.

Last edited: