The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono's review is up

jonoslack

For me its a Leica M body for M lenses. The other option would be a SL which I would choose if I wanted to shoot with 75 and longer or with a Noctilux.

But the real joy to shoot M lenses is a M body. If I wanted to use a Nikon Z body I would rather buy one of the great 35 and 50mm Z lenses and sell the M lens.
We agree on this one Tom - M lenses for M body - and basically it's best to use lenses on the system which was designed for them!

Have a great weekend
best
Jon

ptomsu

Workshop Member
We agree on this one Tom - M lenses for M body - and basically it's best to use lenses on the system which was designed for them!

Have a great weekend
best
Jon
Actually this is one of my credos all the time. Maybe I should finally stick to it ;):cool:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
M 75/1.2 on SL is scary good. Makes S lenses look cheap, though.

One advantage of M lenses on the SL is that they seem to tether better. No AF power draw. So I’m told...

Matt

Paratom

M 75/1.2 on SL is scary good. Makes S lenses look cheap, though.

One advantage of M lenses on the SL is that they seem to tether better. No AF power draw. So I’m told...

Matt
Do you find f1.2 is something one can actually use for real subjects except flat things or face from 180 degree angle?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Do you find f1.2 is something one can actually use for real subjects except flat things or face from 180 degree angle?
*I* can't, but HE can. He's not an "eyes must be sharp" guy, and admits that that's too hard to nail focus wide open, but he loves the look.

I still have my Canon 85/1.2, but it doesn't see a lot of use :grin:.

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I can add is that these are the best images I’ve ever seen from Jono. Read into that what you will.

iiiNelson

All I can add is that these are the best images I’ve ever seen from Jono. Read into that what you will.
Either he’s getting better, the Panasonic color profiles lend themselves to his editing process, or the Panasonic lenses are better than people assumed they’d be.

retow

Comments, reactions, suggestions?

Peter
Comments you want?
Instead of writing about pretty much every make and model in almost all posts in which gear is being discussed and speculating about switching from A to B to C I'd buy and try all of them to then choose the one I really wanted and sell the rest. Costly of course, but eventually it's about your peace of mind. Walk the talk, as they say.....

jonoslack

Either he’s getting better, the Panasonic color profiles lend themselves to his editing process, or the Panasonic lenses are better than people assumed they’d be.
Or maybe there were more fun things to do whilst I was testing it?
Either way, thanks for the kind words Graham, I do try hard to use decent images.

Sanford Lavine

I really like your reviews Jorno. You get to the point quickly and focus on things that matter to me. Well done!

I recently decided to part with my M10. While I’ve been an M user for decades, my vision is at the point that I find it hard to focus with the M10. The visoflex adapter was less than optimal and would periodically go blank.

My first solution was to try my M lenses on my wife’s SL. They all seemed to work very well, so I decided to purchase an SL. The dealer suggested that I try the S1 instead and loaned one to me.

As you did, I found that the M lenses did not produce the results I was looking for. After reading your review, I understand why. I purchased the SL.

I have been playing with my wife’s 24-90 and wondered how the Panasonic 70-200 works on the SL?

Thanks again for the brilliant review.

Sandy

jonoslack

I really like your reviews Jorno. You get to the point quickly and focus on things that matter to me. Well done!

I recently decided to part with my M10. While I’ve been an M user for decades, my vision is at the point that I find it hard to focus with the M10. The visoflex adapter was less than optimal and would periodically go blank.

My first solution was to try my M lenses on my wife’s SL. They all seemed to work very well, so I decided to purchase an SL. The dealer suggested that I try the S1 instead and loaned one to me.

As you did, I found that the M lenses did not produce the results I was looking for. After reading your review, I understand why. I purchased the SL.

I have been playing with my wife’s 24-90 and wondered how the Panasonic 70-200 works on the SL?

Thanks again for the brilliant review.

Sandy
Hi Sandy
Thank you for the kind words - it's really great when someone finds the reviews useful. I really like the 70-200 on the SL, it's pretty light and handles nicely, it's also very sharp - I don't think it's as good as the 90-280, but it's a lot lighter (and cheaper!)
All the best
Jono