The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono's review is up

iiiNelson

Great review as usual. Seems like a few takeaways are that it's a more mainstream friendly camera than maybe the SL is in a "traditional" digital camera sense for a person like me that didn't care all that much for the SL (it was too simplified for me which made me feel it was more complicated - but that's a ME thing). The Panasonic lenses are excellent (no surprise there). As with any camera, it takes actual usage to get acclimated with it but with use, anyone can become more familiar with nearly any camera. I'm probably gonna rent one (either S1 or S1R but undecided right now) this fall for a week when I go on vacation with the wife to test for about a week and see how it works for me. If all goes well, perhaps I'll add an S1R. Ultimately I'm really looking forward to getting the 35 APO-Summicron (and maybe the 90 APO-Summicron) if I choose to go to this system. Outside of those, I would more than likely go all-in on the Panasonic lenses (unless they make a 100/2 then I'm out on the Leica 90).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great review as usual, did not expect anything less from Jono.

But I must say that his and my photography world have evolved in pretty much diverging directions. While he loves the S1 (and I guess the S1R as well) these cameras are for me while still being some of the best FF mirrorless cameras, simply far too big, bulky and heavy. I also cannot base anything I buy on Leica SL lenses which can be easily used with high success on these Panasonic FF cameras as I only have M lenses which I would use on these cameras. And for M lenses simply the Leica M10 is the current state of the art camera to use.

So here we go for whom this might be interesting ....

1) I am happily staying with m43 (Olympus PRO) especially after finishing my last vacation in the Gulf of Mexico - EM1.2 with mostly 2.8/12-40 - which is a stellar and very robust configuration, especially in the very humid climate of Florida's coast on Gulf of Mexico

2019-07-14_0120.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-15_0012.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-18_0237.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-19_0023.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-21_0078.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-23_0167.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2) I am of course considering to go into FF territory (mirrorless) again and the most likely contender will be Nikon with the Z7 - delivers excellent results with Z lenses where we have already a few excellent examples today - and all is perfectly suited for the use of M lenses - AND is MUCH lighter than the S1 / S1R.

Here some samples with the native Z 2.8/24-70 - an excellent lens for all round shooting ...

2019-06-26_0138.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-06-26_0148.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

3) I might even still go with Fuji X APSC instead as soon as the prices of X-T3 come significantly down or the X-H2 becomes available - no samples here but one can find plenty around on the Internet for the X-T3

4) no hurry at all as I can wait and see where Nikon Z and Fuji X will further evolve to supplement my Olympus m43 kit as I am more than happy with the results from this system today!

Comments, reactions, suggestions?

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have two reactions:

1. I love your croc shot, outstanding! :thumbs:
  2. Why leave Olympus, can't see anything wrong with the other results you brought home either
Thanks indeed!

Some clarification

1) I am very happy with these results and definitely will NOT leave Olympus after these experiences. I might add a 4/12-100 PRO in the future as this would actually have been the only lens I had needed during the whole vacation.

2) If I add either Nikon Z FF or Fuji X APSC this is simply for my enjoyment of using a different system and in order to make full use of my FF M lenses with the Nikon Z.

3) I pretty much rule out Panasonic S1/S1R because of size and weight although these cameras might be the logical contenders for shooting M lenses. But size, weight and prize simple kills all these potential advantages for me.

Sidenote: why I am almost ruling out Sony is that I would want to use any new FF mirrorless camera I get also for my Leica M lenses and reportedly these performances significantly better on Nikon Z and Panasonic S than on any Sony Axyz camera. But this is just because of what I need and want, otherwise Sony is an intriguing camera and lens offering today!

iiiNelson

Thanks indeed!

Some clarification

1) I am very happy with these results and definitely will NOT leave Olympus after these experiences. I might add a 4/12-100 PRO in the future as this would actually have been the only lens I had needed during the whole vacation.

2) If I add either Nikon Z FF or Fuji X APSC this is simply for my enjoyment of using a different system and in order to make full use of my FF M lenses with the Nikon Z.

3) I pretty much rule out Panasonic S1/S1R because of size and weight although these cameras might be the logical contenders for shooting M lenses. But size, weight and prize simple kills all these potential advantages for me.

Sidenote: why I am almost ruling out Sony is that I would want to use any new FF mirrorless camera I get also for my Leica M lenses and reportedly these performances significantly better on Nikon Z and Panasonic S than on any Sony Axyz camera. But this is just because of what I need and want, otherwise Sony is an intriguing camera and lens offering today!
I’ve heard mixed reviews of M lenses on Nikon Z. My recommendation. Buy a inexpensive (but quality) adapter with a bag of your M lenses and test them for yourself. I wouldn’t trust anyone's word on performance as there’s a urban legend that only 50mm lenses work on Sony without modification. It all comes down to the individual Len and not the focal length.

For instnce my 50 Lux FLE was garbage but my 50/2 ZM was perfect. My 35 Cron v5 was garbage but my CV 35/1.2 v2 is excellent. My 24 Elmar was my biggest disappointment but the CV 21/.18 Ultron worked well. The 90 Cron PreAA was and is perfect without any complaints. Some reported better results on the A7S too.

Bottom line rent the Z and buy an adapter to test the lenses. Personally I’d just dump the M lenses that aren’t serving you well to finance whatever move you’re going to make if you have no plans to buy another M. Go native where possible... but I agree I see not reason to upgrade from M 4/3 if your size conscious. Nikon lenses are comparatively larger in diameter than even Sony counterparts.

jonoslack

Thanks indeed!

Hi Peter - definitely keep with the Olympus

but I think you didn't read my review (can't blame you, it's long and perhaps boring) - I pointed out very clearly that (just like the Sony cameras) the S1/S1R are NOT the logical contenders with M lenses - they don't have proper corrections, and like Sony and Fuji they have thick coverglass which causes smearing with lots of lenses near infinity.

Skip the rest, but scroll down to the bit about M lenses. The honest truth is that if you want to use your M lenses, then you need a Leica - nobody else makes any attempt to make these tricky lenses work properly (why should they? what's in it for them?). If you DO want to use them, then I'd recommend picking up a secondhand CL or TL2 body and an adapter, won't cost so much and you'll get great results (and they're light) - added to which there are going to be a whole realm of great Sigma and Panasonic L mount lenses at sensible prices . . . .

Best

jonoslack

I’ve heard mixed reviews of M lenses on Nikon Z. My recommendation. Buy a inexpensive (but quality) adapter with a bag of your M lenses and test them for yourself. I wouldn’t trust anyone's word on performance as there’s a urban legend that only 50mm lenses work on Sony without modification. It all comes down to the individual Len and not the focal length.

For instnce my 50 Lux FLE was garbage but my 50/2 ZM was perfect. My 35 Cron v5 was garbage but my CV 35/1.2 v2 is excellent. My 24 Elmar was my biggest disappointment but the CV 21/.18 Ultron worked well. The 90 Cron PreAA was and is perfect without any complaints. Some reported better results on the A7S too.

Bottom line rent the Z and buy an adapter to test the lenses. Personally I’d just dump the M lenses that aren’t serving you well to finance whatever move you’re going to make if you have no plans to buy another M. Go native where possible... but I agree I see not reason to upgrade from M 4/3 if your size conscious. Nikon lenses are comparatively larger in diameter than even Sony counterparts.
Hi There
I hope you're flourishing.
I've given up - I still haven't come across any non-Leica camera which does well with M lenses (why should it, the requirements will make them work less well with native lenses).
If you have M lenses and you want to use them, buy a cheap M9 body, or a CL or TL. all of which are a pleasure to use, produce great results with M lenses and won't break the bank!

jonoslack

I can't see that he's posted it here, so I'll do it for him. Hope it's not supposed to be a secret :grin:

https://www.slack.co.uk/lumix-s1.html

Great review and fantastic photos. Mostly free from tech specs too. It's all about photography :thumbup:
Hi There Jorgen
thank you so much for posting the link - inexcusably I forgot to post it last night - and thank you for the kind words, you couldn't have said anything nicer about it!
All the best

iiiNelson

Hi There
I hope you're flourishing.
I've given up - I still haven't come across any non-Leica camera which does well with M lenses (why should it, the requirements will make them work less well with native lenses).
If you have M lenses and you want to use them, buy a cheap M9 body, or a CL or TL. all of which are a pleasure to use, produce great results with M lenses and won't break the bank!
I dumped all my M lenses (except 35/1.2v2) years ago. No free lunch and I found the Zeiss Loxia or Voigtlander Native E mount lenses to be a more than suitable alternative for small and fast manual focus lenses.

I’d go most native Panasonic (and maybe select Leica) in L mount as I like their neutral look without being overly clinical. I’ve been mostly indifferent towards Sigma. They’re great but not for me always.

erudolph

Jono, do you have any experience and or thoughts on the teleconverters? I'm thinking of the 70-200 on a CL with possibly teleconverter. To replace the current Vario-Elmar-R 80-200/4 with APO 2x.

jonoslack

Jono, do you have any experience and or thoughts on the teleconverters? I'm thinking of the 70-200 on a CL with possibly teleconverter. To replace the current Vario-Elmar-R 80-200/4 with APO 2x.
Hi There
I"m sorry - I haven't tried the teleconverter, but I can certainly recommend the 70-200 on a CL (keep a spare battery though!),

k-hawinkler

For my Leica lenses (M, R) I am using the TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapter on Sony A9 or A7r2. Some M lenses suck, others are fine. R lenses don’t seem to have cover glass thickness related issues. :grin:

My favorite Leica-R 80/1.4, 280/4, Leica-M WATE 16-18-21/4, AA 75/2. :thumbs:
And a few others.:LOL:

pegelli

Thanks for the review Jono, and I especially enjoyed the pictures of the pink tractor run, but the other pictures as well as the story were certainly not boring for me.
If I wasn't already invested in another system the Panasonic could be a contender, but I don't think my pictures will get any better by jumping ship. The camera is not a limiting factor for me :eek:

Re. M-lenses on non M-cameras I can agree with Tre and Karl-Heinz. I have five (pretty old) M-lenses that do double duty on my M2 as well as via adapters on my Sony A7(ii).

The Summaron 35/2.8 is very usable as of f8 (only slightly soft extreme corners). Below 8 progressively larger areas from the corners get mushy.

However my other four (Summicron 50/2 DR, Elmar 50/3.5, Elmar 90/4 and Elmarit 90/2.8, all 50's/early 60's heritage) work fine throughout the entire aperture range. Same with a much more recent M-mount Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.2 II.

So for M lenses I fully support the idea of personally testing your own lenses on the "new" camera of choice. That's the only way to pick out the gems and avoid the dissapointment of certain lenses not working well.
Theoretically the Nikon Z7 with the thinner cover glass has a theoretical edge vs. the Panasonic and Sony, but I wouldn't blindly trust that without serious testing (if M-lens performance is important). A clear case of YMMV.

Paratom

Great review as usual, did not expect anything less from Jono.

But I must say that his and my photography world have evolved in pretty much diverging directions. While he loves the S1 (and I guess the S1R as well) these cameras are for me while still being some of the best FF mirrorless cameras, simply far too big, bulky and heavy. I also cannot base anything I buy on Leica SL lenses which can be easily used with high success on these Panasonic FF cameras as I only have M lenses which I would use on these cameras. And for M lenses simply the Leica M10 is the current state of the art camera to use.

So here we go for whom this might be interesting ....

1) I am happily staying with m43 (Olympus PRO) especially after finishing my last vacation in the Gulf of Mexico - EM1.2 with mostly 2.8/12-40 - which is a stellar and very robust configuration, especially in the very humid climate of Florida's coast on Gulf of Mexico

2019-07-14_0120.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-15_0012.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-18_0237.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-19_0023.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-21_0078.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-07-23_0167.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2) I am of course considering to go into FF territory (mirrorless) again and the most likely contender will be Nikon with the Z7 - delivers excellent results with Z lenses where we have already a few excellent examples today - and all is perfectly suited for the use of M lenses - AND is MUCH lighter than the S1 / S1R.

Here some samples with the native Z 2.8/24-70 - an excellent lens for all round shooting ...

2019-06-26_0138.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2019-06-26_0148.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

3) I might even still go with Fuji X APSC instead as soon as the prices of X-T3 come significantly down or the X-H2 becomes available - no samples here but one can find plenty around on the Internet for the X-T3

4) no hurry at all as I can wait and see where Nikon Z and Fuji X will further evolve to supplement my Olympus m43 kit as I am more than happy with the results from this system today!

Comments, reactions, suggestions?

Peter
My suggestion would also be to stay with m43 if you are happy. Specially for bacg, vacation etc it is a nice system and many lenses are offered.
I find the 10-25 very tempting ;) I also use m43 for Tele sometimes.

The s1r I also like a lot, but why add another system if you are happy with m43?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My suggestion would also be to stay with m43 if you are happy. Specially for bacg, vacation etc it is a nice system and many lenses are offered.
I find the 10-25 very tempting ;) I also use m43 for Tele sometimes.

The s1r I also like a lot, but why add another system if you are happy with m43?
The only (main) reason to add another system is to be able to shoot all my M lenses again. I have the option to either buy a used M (M10 or M240) and call it a day or to buy another FF mirrorless where I am and need to be cautious because if some effects of thicker sensor glass. Have heard only good things about M lenses on Nikon Z7 as this camera seems to have a pretty thin sensor glass, not so sure about the Z6 as this adds the AA filter again and makes the whole thing thicker which is not good for M lenses as we all know.

But hey, actually you are right, why bother with any of these FF mirrorless and build a second system - use Olympus m43 PRO and simply add just a second hand digital M and call it a day :thumbup:

Not sure yet if I am already there mentally :bugeyes:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter - definitely keep with the Olympus

but I think you didn't read my review (can't blame you, it's long and perhaps boring) - I pointed out very clearly that (just like the Sony cameras) the S1/S1R are NOT the logical contenders with M lenses - they don't have proper corrections, and like Sony and Fuji they have thick coverglass which causes smearing with lots of lenses near infinity.

Skip the rest, but scroll down to the bit about M lenses. The honest truth is that if you want to use your M lenses, then you need a Leica - nobody else makes any attempt to make these tricky lenses work properly (why should they? what's in it for them?). If you DO want to use them, then I'd recommend picking up a secondhand CL or TL2 body and an adapter, won't cost so much and you'll get great results (and they're light) - added to which there are going to be a whole realm of great Sigma and Panasonic L mount lenses at sensible prices . . . .

Best
Hi Jono,

I now read the complete review and want to thank you again for your patience and your very careful analysis of using M lenses on other cameras.

The CL is ruled out for me as I want to use the full image circle of my M lenses. The SL I will likely not buy as it is still pretty expensive also second hand, although it is a very capable camera for sure. I most likely will wait till I can get hold of one of the latest digital M cameras second hand, maybe a M10 as soon as the M11 arrives which should be soon - any hints? - just joking.

But I agree the best camera for M lenses is and remains an M!

Thanks

Peter

Paratom

The only (main) reason to add another system is to be able to shoot all my M lenses again. I have the option to either buy a used M (M10 or M240) and call it a day or to buy another FF mirrorless where I am and need to be cautious because if some effects of thicker sensor glass. Have heard only good things about M lenses on Nikon Z7 as this camera seems to have a pretty thin sensor glass, not so sure about the Z6 as this adds the AA filter again and makes the whole thing thicker which is not good for M lenses as we all know.

But hey, actually you are right, why bother with any of these FF mirrorless and build a second system - use Olympus m43 PRO and simply add just a second hand digital M and call it a day :thumbup:

Not sure yet if I am already there mentally :bugeyes:
For me its a Leica M body for M lenses. The other option would be a SL which I would choose if I wanted to shoot with 75 and longer or with a Noctilux.

But the real joy to shoot M lenses is a M body. If I wanted to use a Nikon Z body I would rather buy one of the great 35 and 50mm Z lenses and sell the M lens.