The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 Lens On a Leica SL(601)

Sanford Lavine

Excuse me, but I didn’t know where to post this question. The Leica Forum or L Mount forum.

Does anyone have experience using the Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 Lens on a Leica SL (601)? I’ve been only using M glass on my SL and am interested in something longer than 90mm. I have avoided L mount lenses because of weight and a preference for using manual focus.

Thanks in advance

Sandy

scott kirkpatrick

It sounds like a good match to me. I have used that lens on an M240 and M10 with their EV's to supplement the rangefinder, and it is not very satisfying. But the SL's focus magnification should help a lot. The SL is able to use all but the oldest, very wide angle M lenses without problems, so I wouldn't expect any issues with the 135.

drevil

Staff member
i have used the lens briefly on a m-p, good lens, sharp, beautiful bokeh, but heavily prone to flare. i have no doubt it would perform nicely on the SL

jrp

I think that this must be one of the first lenses where Leica tried to narrow the depth of field. I love the lens, even if it has some imperfections in the CA/LOCA departments relative to the likes of the 90mm SL Summicron, say. But great, if you like to have thin focus planes.

So. if you need longer than 90, the 135mm is a great lens, and easier to use on the SL than M series, eg.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
One of my all time favorite Leica lenses . Have used it extensively with the EVF on Leica M 240 and M10 . A great travel lens when using the M system. its small enough to just add it to your kit for the trip. Covers situations when a 90 just isn t enough reach ...around water ,in sporting events etc. Small and light enough to be included in you day pack or jacket.

It creates a beautiful aesthetic with deep color saturation and nice micro contrast ....agree its prone to flare .

There is a better alternative mid telephoto for the SL if you can use a manual focus lens . The Leica R 180/2.8 APO is in a class by itself ..not just because of the better image quality but also because of the lens mount itself . The 180 /2.8 APO was designed and released right at the end of the Leica R system (before any Leica AF lenses) . The mount is the smoothest and fastest I have found for manual focus . It was designed for the Olympic Sports Photographers .

The later versions of the 180/2.8 APO also matched extremely well withe the 1.4 X APO extender .

So I would use the 80/90 then jump to the 180 in setting up a manual focus kit on the SL.

jrp

Yes, but the 90-280mm SL lens then becomes a competitor and the image quality of that lens always surprises me when I see the results. It is, however, a monster, compared with the 135. I have not tried the R lenses, so can’t comment, but it’s hard to see how they could improve on the 90-280mm. The image stabilisation also helps with these longer focal length lenses.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Yes, but the 90-280mm SL lens then becomes a competitor and the image quality of that lens always surprises me when I see the results. It is, however, a monster, compared with the 135. I have not tried the R lenses, so can’t comment, but it’s hard to see how they could improve on the 90-280mm. The image stabilisation also helps with these longer focal length lenses.
I have all three lenses and was just updating my firmware on the SL . Getting ready for a trip to NYC that will include fashion, street and tennis (US Open). I just tried the alternatives . I have and could make each alternative work . Image quality is superb for each alternative ...so it comes down to handling ,focusing etc . What feels right for the anticipated subject matter .

M 135 /3.4 APO ....best for travel and occasional usage to gain reach . Feels great on SL but focus is slow and more difficult . Fine for gaining reach say around water (where you can t get closer ) . On the M is an excellent addition that you use on occasion when necessary .

R 180 /2.8 APO...Larger ,more reach ,faster ...just a great lens on a SL ...BUT ..manual focus . Its still heavier than 135 and not something I would use on the street . If you can shoot action with a manual focus lens ...this is the one to get .

SL 90-280 APO... a BEAST with superb Image Quality . Really I can find no fault in the IQ . Its AF which is fine for stationary subjects ...but is awful on the SL using continuous and focus tracking . Believe me I have tried hard to love this lens for tennis and auto racing but AF tracking just doesn’t work at all . Still a big difference in a 280 verse 180 ..so how much reach do you need .

I will take the 90-280 for my trip because I don t need the reach for anything other than tennis and AF is helpful even if I have to shoot without focus tracking . Since I will be in the stands the size and weight don t really matter .

This is not a lens I would want in my day pack ..its just too heavy . It will stay in the hotel safe unless I am shooting tennis .

Godfrey

Does anyone have experience using the Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 Lens on a Leica SL (601)? I’ve been only using M glass on my SL and am interested in something longer than 90mm. I have avoided L mount lenses because of weight and a preference for using manual focus. ...
I don't have experience with that particular lens. In "longer than 90mm" lenses, the three that I used the most on the Leica SL were the Elmar-R 180mm f/4, the Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8, and (a distant third) the Hektor 135mm f/4.5.

All worked very well on the SL body, with the two R system lenses being newer designs and better performers than the old Hektor 135. Even that last did a remarkably nice job considering how many negative comments it tends to get.

If I were going to buy a Leica 135mm lens to use on the SL and didn't want to spend for an L-mount lens, I'd buy the Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 in a moment. :D

I still use one of these lenses today with the CL body. Here are a few photos made with the Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 on various cameras: Flickr search for Elmarit-R 135mm

G