The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question Re Pixel Shift and Lens Performance

Just a general question about lens performance and pixel shift. I plan on using the S1R as a scanner, so multishot is important to me. As is the ability to actually render detail.

Great macro lenses can probably out resolve the 47mp sensor, and maybe even the new 60mp sensors. But 187? That seems like a stretch...

However, since pixel shift is essentially doing a bunch of samples, so is the resulting file subject to the same limitations as a theoretical actual 187mp sensor? The image samples I've seen seem to be fantastic, so this is just something I'm curious about.

Shashin

Since you are sampling at the frequency of the native resolution, pixel shift is simply filling in the space between the pixels and so the lens does not have to resolve at the same resolution of a 187MP sensor. But if the image is soft at the native resolution, it will be appear softer in the shifted file. Also, at 100% monitor view, you are still going to have the same DoF as a 187MP sensor meaning film flatness will still be an issue if you are trying to get the most information out of the reproduction.

Just a general question about lens performance and pixel shift. I plan on using the S1R as a scanner, so multishot is important to me. As is the ability to actually render detail.

Great macro lenses can probably out resolve the 47mp sensor, and maybe even the new 60mp sensors. But 187? That seems like a stretch...

However, since pixel shift is essentially doing a bunch of samples, so is the resulting file subject to the same limitations as a theoretical actual 187mp sensor? The image samples I've seen seem to be fantastic, so this is just something I'm curious about.
I just tested this procedure in my studio with the S1R and a Leica 90mm lens. The multishot image is an impressive 187 megapixel file, however visually, these images have all the aesthetic attributes of an interpolated file. Back in the Better Light scanning days, you could scan half pixels in the scan direction, getting 150% more pixels, but the resulting file looked interpolated to us, henceforth we always favor native resolution imaging workflows over interpolated, regardless of how sophisticated the methodology.

gebseng

I made some preliminary test with the HighResolution mode on the S1 (96MP files). While the results are impressive, there seem to be some small artifacts generated by the multi shots. I'm talking about the small dots inside the black "4" and "8" lettering.

best,

geb
Screen Shot 1.jpg