The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried the Siggy 50 on the S1R?

I'm sure it's performance is up to snuff. Maybe a bit worse than the Panasonic...but I'd venture not much. How does the AF compare? The S Pro is so damn fast, I've read that the Sigmas are not quite as good.

I'm thinking of switching due to cost reasons.

JeRuFo

I have no experience with L-mount versions of the Sigma range, but from what I saw with other versions is that they seem to work really hard on their firmware and at least with Sony the AF gets closer and closer to the Sony lenses as to where I don't find it a factor anymore.

Well I now have the Sigma 50 ART for L mount. I can say it's a lot smaller than the Panasonic, and performs just about as well. The AF is not quite as confident as the S Pro, but I'm guessing firmware will fix this sooner than later.

At $829 the black friday price was a no brainer. Looking forward to adding the 35/1.2 at some point. Panasonic needs to ramp up their releases. I'd love to own Panasonic primes, but they need to come back down to earth a bit.

iiiNelson

Well I now have the Sigma 50 ART for L mount. I can say it's a lot smaller than the Panasonic, and performs just about as well. The AF is not quite as confident as the S Pro, but I'm guessing firmware will fix this sooner than later.

At $829 the black friday price was a no brainer. Looking forward to adding the 35/1.2 at some point. Panasonic needs to ramp up their releases. I'd love to own Panasonic primes, but they need to come back down to earth a bit.
Really interested one hearing your long term experience with the DSLR designed Sigma lenses.

I’m a bit “gun shy” in jumping to the DSLR designs (based on past experience with the DSLR designs on Sony early on) but I will say that in fairness the new 35/1.2 performs well on the Sony... the mirrorless designed 14-24 and 45 perform well on the Panasonic as well.