The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F/1.4

ron787

In my past experience, the cost of Leica SL lenses has been justified by their quality and ability to facilitate the highest IQ. And it was with that in mind that I'd ordered an SL Summilux 50mm F/1.4 for my S1r. But a little voice had suggested, given the huge price differential, that I obtain a copy of the Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F/1.4 to compare. That said, I'd just repacked and dropped off the Summilux at the UPS for return. The roughly $3,000 difference in cost, in my mind and with my eyes, could not be justified. In fact, I could not really see a difference with everyday subjects, and found the presence of the Lumix aperture ring to be beneficial and pleasant. The SL was of course somewhat lighter, but if I'd kept it I would have been $3,000 lighter. The Lumix is great. It's silent, lightening fast AF and beautiful rendering. None of what I've said was meant to belittle the Summilux, but was intended to show that Leica, IMO, may no longer rule the day.

JoelM

Definitely not the kind of "lighter" you would want. :) I had heard that the Lumix was a wonderful lens.

Joel

iiiNelson

In my past experience, the cost of Leica SL lenses has been justified by their quality and ability to facilitate the highest IQ. And it was with that in mind that I'd ordered an SL Summilux 50mm F/1.4 for my S1r. But a little voice had suggested, given the huge price differential, that I obtain a copy of the Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F/1.4 to compare. That said, I'd just repacked and dropped off the Summilux at the UPS for return. The roughly $3,000 difference in cost, in my mind and with my eyes, could not be justified. In fact, I could not really see a difference with everyday subjects, and found the presence of the Lumix aperture ring to be beneficial and pleasant. The SL was of course somewhat lighter, but if I'd kept it I would have been $3,000 lighter. The Lumix is great. It's silent, lightening fast AF and beautiful rendering. None of what I've said was meant to belittle the Summilux, but was intended to show that Leica, IMO, may no longer rule the day.
It’s on my list of for the next L-Mount lens that I’ll get.

ron787

It’s on my list of for the next L-Mount lens that I’ll get.
You will not be disappointed, it is razor sharp and as I'd mentioned, quick to focus even in low light. Given the Leica alternative, it is well worth its cost. The other L mount lens that has impressed my immensely is the Sigma L mount 35mm f/1.2. It too is razor sharp, even wide open, has great contrast, focuses quickly and balances well on the Lumix S/1r. And it too has an aperture ring, a welcomed feature that I find all too lacking on other manufacturer's lenses. There is life after Leica.

msadat

i have both the Leica 1.4 and the panny but the Leica 50 apo 2.0 is the best choice, small and compact and good image quality

ron787

i have both the Leica 1.4 and the panny but the Leica 50 apo 2.0 is the best choice, small and compact and good image quality
Leica SL F/2 50mm: 4" long and 1.6lbs—smaller, yes, but not small. In any event, my non-scientific, everyday testing had revealed that there was no real world difference in IQ between the Lumix and the Summilux. And despite the weight and dimensional differences the red dot could not justify the $3,000 cost differential. Furthermore, as an old school photographer, I like the presence of an aperture ring. I have a collection of Leica SL zoom lenses from my SL camera days, but with the advent of the "L" Alliance and the high quality lenses that are gradually being released, I do not see any further Leica gear in my future. And this is not a function of economics but, rather, one of philosophical differences.

I used to have the S Pro 50 and switched to the Sigma 50. The Panasonic is more confident at focusing for sure, and the IQ is of course amazing. However now that I'm using the Sigma 50 it's just about as good as the Panasonic. In fact I can't really see a practical difference. Plus it's smaller!

I would never even consider a Leica option. So I could say it's 'the best'? No thanks.