The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High ISO and Panasonic S1r vs S1

iiiNelson

I had viewed that video and found this as well, "Trace is not completely sure of his findings as yet and needs to do some more tests. He notes that this only seems to occur when using the V-Log picture profile".

It appears that the S1 requires the V-log software key for the dual—assuming that his findings are to be verified—to be operational and thus it is not clear if the dual native ISO is available while shooting stills, while the S1H's dual native ISO is allegedly active at all times. But the dual native ISO is not the only advantageous feature of the S1H. That said, while there are many S1 owner/users out in the wild, I find it odd that no one else has made mention of the dual ISO, unless those individuals have avoided purchasing the V-log key.
Yeah I also believe that there are some tangible advantages to the S1H (which is why it’s on my radar as well). Just wanted to pop that into the conversation because I didn’t know if you’d seen those rumors.

ron787

Yeah I also believe that there are some tangible advantages to the S1H (which is why it’s on my radar as well). Just wanted to pop that into the conversation because I didn’t know if you’d seen those rumors.
The S1H arrived a few hours ago and I've only had a short time to set it up and fire off a few snaps, but it is virtually clean at ISO 6400 ... even 20,000. Pretty amazing. However, I'd acquired a few images from my home (behind Low E—metallic coated— impact glass) to the opposite side of the golf course upon which it is situated, and the loss of detail, as compared to the S1r when acquiring the same image with the same lens, is considerable. Of course, that's the 24MP sensor showing its limitations. But I had not ordered the S1h for landscape photography, and the comparative had been borne out of curiosity. That said, I've tried to add an image showing the absence of noise at ISO 6400 that had been cropped 100% but could not figure out how to accomplish the task on this site, sorry.